Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time for a look at some different Pickup truck offerings ?

And now for something really obscure...Russia's GAZ M-415 pickup truck, based on the GAZ M-1 passenger car. 

The good news: model kits of it exist. The bad news: only in the scales 1/72 and 1/48. And a very hard to find 1/35 scale kit from the Russian company Maquette, released around 2004.  Maquette had already done the GAZ M-1 car in plastic; the pickup kit used its chassis, but Maquette made up a new resin body, fenders and interior.  Sounds weird, but it's a nice kit.  The resin parts are almost as thin as the plastic.

gaz m415.jpg

I would buy these, but I can see how the market might not support them as full detail kits. Maybe they could be done as a series of simplified Promo style kits? That way they could be sold as kits and also as built up collector's items for those who collect vintage trucks and cars. Something I wonder is why AMT hasn't put out a variation of the 50 Chevy and 55-57 Chevy trucks as GMCs? The bodies are basically the same and it would give them some new kits to release with not too much investment. They already have a license from GMC.

At least Moebius is filling the shortage of Ford trucks. I'm eagerly awaiting the '65 stepside and hoping they come out with a 61-63 to knock the eBay prices down on the old AMT ones.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bainford said:

Not as pretty as the Hudson or Stude, but another 'off the beaten path' pick-up is the Powell. There is a lot of slab siding and few compound curves, so scratchbuilding one should be doable

.1956Powell_01_700.jpg.498e2e199cf3a9006c052e1f9bfec0e7.jpg

… and just dig that cool built in fishing rod compartment (though someone has added compartment divisions to this example)..

powell_d_grande.jpg.5c0f0f41a94a5942fb814efa7ba85a8a.jpg

I believe they used 41 Dodge chassis so a build would be easy to do.

3 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like they ripped off the design from a 34 Ford. But at least we could use that as a starting point. Nice looking truck though.

Well...not exactly a rip-off.  Ford Motor Co. and the Soviet Union signed a licensing agreement in 1929, and Ford shipped unassembled Model A's to be bolted together in a Moscow assembly plant. Ford also agreed to help the Russians build a new car factory in Nizhny Novgorod.  That factory was the Gorki Automotive Plant, or in Russian Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod - GAZ, where those "Ford-skis" were built.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:42 AM, Ironman63 said:

Tempting... good thing I'm trying to stay focused on my favorites.

I've seen Mercedes and Rolls Royces converted into pickups.  B)

On 10/19/2018 at 3:10 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like they ripped off the design from a 34 Ford. But at least we could use that as a starting point. Nice looking truck though.

Not a rip off. Henry Ford sold all engineering designs for the Model A, and its successors during a certain amount of time to the Russia, and also included in the contract was the accessory in building the Gorkovskiy Avto Zavod plant (GAZ) and fine tuning the first production lots of the GAZ-A in 1932. The engineers from Ford cooperated with the engineers from GAZ during a long time. The Russians tested in super tough conditions (like the Siberian winter, that turned tires into a fragile glass like material) a lot of stuff that latter Ford included in their cars. The GAZ M21 Volga was the last car done under this cooperation. 

Looks like car guys can cooperate a lot more than others. 

A lot more info can be found on the book "Cars of the Soviet Union" by Andy Thompson. He actually spent a lot of time digging stuff and documents both in Russia, and USA. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:01 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

And the Powell was based on a '41 Plymouth, so in theory, AMT's kit could be used as a starting point.

Powell's were built on '41-'48 Plymouth chassis and driveline, which Powell did a full rebuild.  As for the bodywork, that was pretty much all done with flat sheet metal stock, run through a rolling brake, then welded together (no Plymouth sheet metal there).

Art

Is it impolite to mention that a model of any current pickup is missing.  There's a Raptor snap kit and after that you have to go to the 1999 (?) Silverado, the Meng F350 and the 1997 F150.  And what's the most recent Ram Pickup, the 1995 (or so) Revell show truck w/Viper engine?  Pickups are the largest selling vehicles in the US but are unrepresented.  And let's not talk about Explorers, Tahoes, etc.

1 hour ago, The Junkman said:

Is it impolite to mention that a model of any current pickup is missing.  There's a Raptor snap kit and after that you have to go to the 1999 (?) Silverado, the Meng F350 and the 1997 F150.  And what's the most recent Ram Pickup, the 1995 (or so) Revell show truck w/Viper engine?  Pickups are the largest selling vehicles in the US but are unrepresented.  And let's not talk about Explorers, Tahoes, etc.

I'd definitely like too see some current pickups kitted.  And SUVs.   I'd love to see the new Ram, Wrangler, Grand Cherokee (Trailhawk and Trackhawk versions maybe). 

• 2 weeks later...