Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brockway conversion kit

I was looking at aitm,s website and got very interested in building one of their Brockway conversions kits.
There are 3 models i am choosing of and it is the 361, 760 and 761.
Which of these models did have the option of the detrit v12 or you could get it in anyone you wanted?
I am thinking of building it like a winch truck (never see winchtrucks or Brockways in Sweden anyway so it would be a fun truck to have in my collection)
What truckkit is a good chassiedonor for the conversion ?
Or is it best to buy the mack heavy duty chassie that they also offer?
I did a quick search and it looks like some of them was based on mack trucks.

How did the hoods open on them?
Were they the normal flip front or did the open the hood like the autocar where you just lift the sides?

I'm not sure about the others, but the 761 was offered with the Detroit Diesel 6-71N, 8V-71N, 8V-71T, 8V-92N, & 8V92T.  The 12V-71 was not an option from the factory on the 761.  According to a thread on the AHTS Forum, the 12V-71 was offered on the 361.

Ok I'll follow up on what jim mentioned.  The 361 was offered w the 12v 71, and theres one currently in the museum on display.   Heres a photo of that truck I took during our car show this year.

20180915_135616.thumb.jpg.0c65b8e3832f683b196059cdc958a38c.jpg20180915_135602.thumb.jpg.ae2e273ab1f32ef095349372665e23d6.jpg

Theres a great example of a 361 winch truck on aitm website showing what the cab can be turned into. It's a stunning replica of the Mountaineer owned by Tackaberry construction/hauling  in Canada .This is the Mountaineer..

20180811_124445.thumb.jpg.619e0c305c2f14d47b5b742e2be7b7e0.jpg

The photo also shows how the hoods opened, their a butterfly hood. The fenders are held closed ..they swing out..by a bolt in the back, and a pin in the front by the radiator grill. This allows easy access to the engine . To open the resin hood only requires careful cutting then adding support inside for it to rest on..

You could use mostly any available frame, many builders use the dm600 since the frames bowed out in front like the Mack's. I'm using a paystar 5000 frame for my newest Husky . Be aware some cabs wont come w cab mounts so those will need to be made or found in the parts box.

Hope this helped 

1 hour ago, gotnitro? said:

I asked my buddy  a wealth of brockway Intel and serious mack lover about the buzzing dozen offered in 760 and 761 they weren't offered, only the 762 . The 760/761 mainly had the 8v71 

I think the 762 was the 761 replacement and built from 1974/75 to 1977 when Brockway went out of business.

Thanks for the info.
Great that the 361 was one of the models offerd with a v12 just beacuse that was the kit i like the most for some reason of those 3 i listed.
I suspected that the hood opend like that but i did not know that fenders were able to swing out to get better access to the engine, it might take some work to get it functional but when i start on this it is not something that will be done in about 2-3 days as the others i have built.
To scratchbuild parts is no problems and i have alot of left over parts from other kits that i have built so some parts i might not have to make myself.
Guess i could look for a used kit or partskit for a DM600 that still have the frame in it, the only partskit i have is the Italeri american superliner (postoffice did a nice number on it when they shipped it and the cab and hood is  crushed and not useable..)
But that frame will probably not work as it is not even the right frame for a mack superliner.

If you wanted a road tractor , the reissued R model would even work. It doesn't even have to be a mack frame,  anything would work . I have a freightliner coe saved for a 457 I fell for  during the annual brockway homecoming show 

Once you start definitely post pics of the build we all love watching builds come together 

There is an excellent youtube of a 12V71 361 that would be great for modeling purposes.  Just type in Brockway 12V71 and look for the posting by Lindsey Crawford.   Also, there is a very active Brockway Owners association with tons of pix/info on their discussion board. www.brockwaytrucks.org

Peace.

Thanks.
I dont know if i want it to be just a roadtractor or one that could be used offroad to.
I know nothing about winchtrucks but i guess they were used mostly in offroad terrain?
Then i can use the frame for the superliner for this when i start building it so i get some use out of that kit exept just collecting dust..

It will still only be me and those here that knows it is not the right frame for the truck.
Going by how italeri makes their truck kits no one that just looks at it will notice anything even if they look at the engine unless they are told that part x,y,z are wrong..
Their modern volvo kits has nothing correct exept the shape of the cab and the scanias had the correct engine up untill they started the 4 series where scania used a different engine.

I will try to remember to start a buildthread when i get to that point but i cant promise anything as i often get halfway done before i think about doing a buildthread on most of my builds and then i see no point in it
Thanks for that link, i will check it out later.

Sorry I missed the mention of the superliner..that frame will work just fine for your build since ..and I'll probably start a flaming war now...that truck was built  in 1977, RUMORED to be the truck the workers at Brockway designed . Theres photos of the truck getting mocked up with different headlight and hood profiles  at the plant. Several  workers said they had seen it before closing down..and are VERY proud of what they accomplished. 

but anyway I'll get off the soap box and grab my asbestos suit now..that chassis would work for your intended build .

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2018 at 9:13 AM, gotnitro? said:

Sorry I missed the mention of the superliner..that frame will work just fine for your build since ..and I'll probably start a flaming war now...that truck was built  in 1977, RUMORED to be the truck the workers at Brockway designed . Theres photos of the truck getting mocked up with different headlight and hood profiles  at the plant. Several  workers said they had seen it before closing down..and are VERY proud of what they accomplished. 

but anyway I'll get off the soap box and grab my asbestos suit now..that chassis would work for your intended build .

Well, Mack actually acquired Brockway in 1956 and it remained a division of Mack until its closing in June 1977.  So that rumor is very likely true.