Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1968 GTO

jjsipes

This came up as a subject on another thread, and I thought someone said that the kit doesn't have the correct dash for a '68. It uses the '69 dash and they are different. I have this kit (buried) and while I've never put one together, being that it's typical Monogram for the era, the parts count is low and shouldn't be terribly difficult to get together.

I do know that there is no stock hood.......you'll have to fill in the hole or perhaps use a hood off of a '69. That's all I pretty much know-----I bought basically a started kit with intentions to turn it into a convertible someday.

That '68 dash will be tricky as that's never been done in 1/24 scale which that is. You might be able to fudge a 1/25 one from the 'Bay, but each time I see one of those turn up there, a bidding war takes place and the price ends up waaaay higher than it should be.

I don't know how good you are at scratchbuilding/modifying...........that's what I was planning on doing for the dash if/when the time comes for me to build that convertible.

Thanks guys. I am a Mopar man but, I do enjoy the styling of the GM A bodies. Wasn't really sure what the differences were in the 68 to 69 GTO's but, I just ordered one of the latest releases of the 69 GTO to see what's in it. My father was interested in the 68 until he seen it was a street machine so, I thought I'd ask. Maybe he will want the 69 with the 68 parts once he sees my kit I have coming.

That's no '68 GTO, it's just the same Monogram '69 with a '68 nose and back bumper.

If you really want to build it as a '68 though, the dash from the MPC '68 annual will fit right in. In fact, you might need to file the sides down a smidge, the Monogram 1/24 dash is actually a touch smaller than the MPC 1/25 piece. :rolleyes: 

Thing is, the sew pattern on the seats and possibly the door panels is also completely different.

Edited by Can-Con

3 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

That '68 dash will be tricky as that's never been done in 1/24 scale which that is. You might be able to fudge a 1/25 one from the 'Bay, but each time I see one of those turn up there, a bidding war takes place and the price ends up waaaay higher than it should be.

I don't know how good you are at scratchbuilding/modifying...........that's what I was planning on doing for the dash if/when the time comes for me to build that convertible.

The MPC part will fit,, see my post right above.  

There is one resin option for a stock hood by Missing Link. (No connection to seller)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-25-scale-1968-70-Pontiac-GTO-hood-w-underside-detail-from-Missing-Link/352474531990?hash=item52111e8896:g:YWUAAOSwTmJatSJP

I purchased one and standing alone it looks good.  My kit is buried in the stash so I haven't test fitted it.

5 hours ago, The Junkman said:

There is one resin option for a stock hood by Missing Link. (No connection to seller)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-25-scale-1968-70-Pontiac-GTO-hood-w-underside-detail-from-Missing-Link/352474531990?hash=item52111e8896:g:YWUAAOSwTmJatSJP

I purchased one and standing alone it looks good.  My kit is buried in the stash so I haven't test fitted it.

That hood is cast from an original MPC 1/25 hood as a replacement for MPC kits missing one.

It's about 1/4 inch shorter and about 1/8 inch narrower than the Monogram hood.  I just checked the hood from my MPC '68 on the Monogram body.

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I've built a couple of the '69 kits and have a '68 kit someplace.  I do recall that the exterior of the '68 has the correct rear bumper, wind wings and different front turn signals.  From that perspective it is correct.  

Yup, the body, engine and chassis are right. It's the interior that's different.

17 hours ago, Can-Con said:

That hood is cast from an original MPC 1/25 hood as a replacement for MPC kits missing one.

It's about 1/4 inch shorter and about 1/8 inch narrower than the Monogram hood.  I just checked the hood from my MPC '68 on the Monogram body.

Ah, dag nabbit.

Well,, looks like no one's gonna believe me without pictures, so here's pictures.

First, a side by side with the Monogram 1/24 '69 dash in red and the MPC 1/25 dash in white,,

IMG 1762

IMG 1763

Here's the Monogram 1/24 dash in the MPC 1/25 interior,, Pretty poor fit, yes?

IMG 2387

IMG 2388

, , , and the MPC in [on?] the Monogram bucket,,,

IMG 2389

IMG 2390

Looks like it will fit well if you trim the mounting tabs off the side, maybe?

BTW, bonus image of the CORRECT '68 GTO seat and door panel trim pattern.

IMG 2391