Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Plymouth Truck with an Air Radial Engine: On the Workbench 10/18/18

Hello.......I will be building this 1937 Plymouth Truck with an Air Radial Engine.......I could not find a 1937 Plymouth Truck ......so I will make this Revell 1941 Truck into a 1937 Plymouth........I got the Wright J-5 R-790 Engine from Shapeways 3 D printing......My buddies Curt Ratz and Chris Soback helped me track one down......thanks guys.......this is also not the right engine in the Truck...... but, it  looks close to the 1:1 in the truck.......I will be scratch building just about everything for this truck......it will "NOT" be an exact replica ........but,I will try and make it look close to the 1:1 .......thanks for looking

fab6b6c092127ac7131f5d00d8d19f6b_zpskka2

000-1939-plymouth-radial-airplane-truck-

DSCF0085_zpsng7zsa2g.jpg

DSCF0087_zpshbi6u3vg.jpg

DSCF0086_zpsgknhzkpw.jpg

Hello.......thank you all for the interest in this build.......I really appreciate it:).......I started on the body.......I chopped the Top, opened up the doors and cut out the sun roof windows.....I also  hallowed out the grill........I have a ton more of modifications to do on the body.......all the detail will come later.......this truck will have tons of detail.......thanks for looking 

DSCF0088_zpsvsyqakdb.jpg

DSCF0089_zpskcwzssse.jpg

DSCF0095_zps7pxa8cpv.jpg

DSCF0110_zpsu5mmdgz9.jpg

DSCF0108_zpsasa1usay.jpg

Going to be an interesting project to watch.  While in the USAF many years ago I worked on T-28 trainers, they were radial powered.  There is nothing that sounds the same as these engines.  Similar to a Harley, their sound is very distinct.  Enough nostalgia, let's see some updates.

I will be watching this build closely as I have been saving magazine articles featuring it and planning a similar project myself. I looked for an engine a year or so ago with no luck so I moved on to something else. The interior of the real truck is going to be a big challenge in itself with all of the aircraft inspired details. Good luck. I look forward to all of your updates.

John

A friend sent me a link to your build as I'm also planning a build inspired by the same real truck. Right now my plan is to use the Testors 41 Plymouth diecast kit and one row of a BMW radial from an FW 190 that was kindly donated to my project. This means that mine will have 1,275 cu in on the fender.

I'll be following your build with interest and once mine gets started will post it here as well. There are a few other projects ahead of it so it might be a while.

Your build is coming along very nicely.

DSC04442.JPG