Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Nova Post Apocalypse recon vehicle

Daxman

It's been a few years since my last post apocalypse vehicle. I had originally built this model back in the early 90's. It was sitting in a box in my basement for the past 20 years. It's been repurposed into a post apocalypse recon buggy.

IMG_1458.thumb.JPG.7df444bed077a4569fc646dc8343c932.JPG

The engine is from a Cadillac El Dorado kit that was in the same box in the basement. Might as well use it! The engine cover is from a Peterbilt semi.

IMG_1457.thumb.JPG.def3e30ab65c38c2f8943eeaf8679b87.JPGIMG_1447.thumb.JPG.8a0544de3ec2b3a67f9e4e98f362129c.JPG

I had 5 wheels and I really wanted the spare to be mounted and visible. It sticks through the hood next to the intake that cools the 50 caliber.

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.515e097091f2b4a1db57ba9a0c3ed21b.JPG

The gas tank is behind the passenger seat.

IMG_1460.thumb.JPG.31457b08621cc55622c392fa00cdd749.JPGIMG_1463.thumb.JPG.96510cc3c731eeb83fd6dc5ec4c88d85.JPGIMG_1470.thumb.JPG.41bd43967eba9ff033b0069024ad1d06.JPG

I got the 50 caliber guns from Shapeways a few years ago. It came with 2 sets of dual machine guns. This was the 1st time trying to weather seats to look torn.

Thanks for looking!

This was my first attempt at making seats appear to be torn and weathered. I was very surprised with the results! You just need a really sharp X-Acto blade and a steady hand. Cut into the plastic leaving a little visible flap on both sides of the tear. Then carve away where you would want the upholstery to appear missing. I used sand yellow to simulate the seat foam and a mud wash over the entire seat. I'll be doing a little more weathering on the seats.

I would like the passenger foot-well to be full of shell casings from the 50 cal guns. I'd also like to make the belt feed that goes into the guns. All I can think of is to use a small diameter brass rod cut into segments. I've tried this before but wasn't 100% satisfied. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open.

JC, That Peugeot needs some armor and a harpoon.

10 hours ago, Daxman said:

This was my first attempt at making seats appear to be torn and weathered. I was very surprised with the results! You just need a really sharp X-Acto blade and a steady hand. Cut into the plastic leaving a little visible flap on both sides of the tear. Then carve away where you would want the upholstery to appear missing. I used sand yellow to simulate the seat foam and a mud wash over the entire seat. I'll be doing a little more weathering on the seats.

[...]

Great way to use up left over parts!  Love the subject.  But I also noticed the seats, which I will consider doing on a current WIP.