Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 oldsmobile difference in kits

I have built both and enjoyed them. The main differences that I noticed was that the first issue, the one with the green car on the box, is stock as stock can be. Nothing wrong with that as it's a very nice kit. The Custom kit, with the maroon car, offers some options for the engine. Besides the duel exhaust there is a 3 x 2 carb set up, finned valve covers, headers, and the '55 Olds style Fiesta hub caps all on a chrome tree. The Transmission is a Hydromatic in the Custom and a Manuel in the stock. A set of pad printed white walls are also included. There quality may very as my first kit's tires had to be striped and I made my own white walls. the second Custom Kit the white walls were fine, so that part may just be the luck of the draw. The Decal sheet is smaller and the focus is on pinstriping and some car club plaques. The original has the decals Mexican Pan-American race from 1950. The city of Portland sponsored such a car at that time and it carried "City of Roses" livery and some sponsors names plus a set of white wall decals. I would highly recommend either kit as they are easily built and the proportions seem correct to me. I think the biggest difference depends on what type of build you have in mind. For me it's the Custom because that is what I usually build, but I grab either one since the stock one can be easily modified.          

3 minutes ago, espo said:

I have built both and enjoyed them. The main differences that I noticed was that the first issue, the one with the green car on the box, is stock as stock can be. Nothing wrong with that as it's a very nice kit. The Custom kit, with the maroon car, offers some options for the engine. Besides the duel exhaust there is a 3 x 2 carb set up, finned valve covers, headers, and the '55 Olds style Fiesta hub caps all on a chrome tree. The Transmission is a Hydromatic in the Custom and a Manuel in the stock. A set of pad printed white walls are also included. There quality may very as my first kit's tires had to be striped and I made my own white walls. the second Custom Kit the white walls were fine, so that part may just be the luck of the draw. The Decal sheet is smaller and the focus is on pinstriping and some car club plaques. The original has the decals Mexican Pan-American race from 1950. The city of Portland sponsored such a car at that time and it carried "City of Roses" livery and some sponsors names plus a set of white wall decals. I would highly recommend either kit as they are easily built and the proportions seem correct to me. I think the biggest difference depends on what type of build you have in mind. For me it's the Custom because that is what I usually build, but I grab either one since the stock one can be easily modified.          

This is an excellent recap of the differences between the two kits.  I also seem to recall that the Custom had a slightly lowered front suspension stance.  Again from memory, the custom kit included two sets of early Olds aftermarket headers - plated and unplated, and many of the stock version kit parts were still in the Custom box even though not referenced in the instructions. 

The only meager part of the entire kit execution was that the custom version tailamps were decals instead of real parts (the stock version tailamps - in this case real parts - were also in the Custom kit.)  

The Custom version of the kit was largely a recreation of the real car that Revell's late Product Development VP, Roger Harney, drove during and just after high school.  

As with David, for me, the Custom version was/is the kit to go for.  TIM  

1 minute ago, tim boyd said:

This is an excellent recap of the differences between the two kits.  I also seem to recall that the Custom had a slightly lowered front suspension stance.  Again from memory, the custom kit included two sets of early Olds aftermarket headers - plated and unplated, and many of the stock version kit parts were still in the Custom box even though not referenced in the instructions. 

The only meager part of the entire kit execution was that the custom version tailamps were decals instead of real parts (the stock version tailamps - in this case real parts - were also in the Custom kit.)  

The Custom version of the kit was largely a recreation of the real car that Revell's late Product Development VP, Roger Harney, drove during and just after high school.  

You're right about the Tail Lights, decals are present for a custom version but the stock tail lights are still on the chrome tree. They are very small and easily overlooked. The only other difference, if it really makes a difference, has to do with the Hood. The stock version has the holes for the Hood Rocket predrilled and the Custom has pilot holes on the underside that can be opened if the Hood Rocket is going to be used. Again you can't go wrong with either kit.   

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thank you for posting. Your article is the one i found on a different site but i didnt know the rules of linking to other sites.