Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Jeep Commando

I finally finished this one. Been working on it for well over a year now, kept hitting roadblocks that would derail me and make me set it aside for a while to cool down. I'm still not happy with the paint on it but I wanted it done, and nothing's perfect anyway. I used Krylon metalizers spray that they used to make, to paint it. First put down a silver coat, followed by the translucent color coat. I've used this paint before with good results,  but just couldn't get it to work this time. I think it's because I used a different silver base this time. Oh well. I can't find it in stores anymore so might as well use up whats left over. I used the kit decals (built the Stevens International Mount N Goat version) to try to hide some of the imperfections.  I can live with it, after all, it is a Jeep, lol.

To make it more prototypical,  I shoehorned in an AMC 304 V-8 from a CJ-7 kit I had for parts. I had to move the front crossmember and radiator forward so that the transmission and transfer case would still fit in the frame with the interior tub. I had to hog out the interior tub for clearance and use the shifter console from the kit to cover it up. I then had to make custom driveshafts out of aluminum tubing front and rear so they matched up with the axles and transfer case . When I started building it, I wasn't happy with the off road wheels and tires, I thought they looked too big and toylike. I saw on other threads that some think they are 1/20 scale, which makes sense, they just look "off" to me for some reason. I liked the Jeep Rubicon wheels and tires and used them. I also wasn't sold on the kit rollbar, so out came the Rubicon box again. I had to cut the Rubicon rollbar down a little to fit in the Commando tub, but I think this one looks good on it. Using photos of a Commando  I took at the PA Jeep show in York, PA this summer,  I  detailed the interior the best I could. I shaved off the trim piece that runs around the exterior as my research found this was on eariler Jeepster models with the CJ style front end. I couldn't find any pictures of the later Commandos with the square front ends with this trim piece. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Somebody more knowledgeable may be able to help. I added some partsbox items in the interior, some KC Hilite offroad lights to the front, and a winch fairlead and hylift jack to the front bumper to give it that weekend warrior look.  I'd like to add some more detail to the.engine bay, battery and cables, brake lines, wiring, and more. But for now, I'm done.  I'm a little disappointed with the paint, but happy with the rest of the model. Ok, enough blabbering, on with the pics.

Ad as always, thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Jeff 

20181011_223443.jpg

20181017_214806.jpg

20181017_215103.jpg

20181017_215219.jpg

20181017_215435.jpg

20181018_213828.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, landman said:

Nice job. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert to the ‘67-‘68 version.

I just picked up the MPC Mount'n Goat kit, and it does have the earlier CJ-type grille in it. It seems that all you would need to do is fabricate/source the front fenders and maybe modify the hood. I'm no expert on Jeeps, but it appears that the front end is the only real change over the years. Based on earlier comments about the interior, perhaps the front end was the only change that MPC made when updating the kit.

Either way, it looks like a mostly factory stock 72 Commando is possible from the kit, and that's my plan.

11 minutes ago, SSNJim said:

I just picked up the MPC Mount'n Goat kit, and it does have the earlier CJ-type grille in it. It seems that all you would need to do is fabricate/source the front fenders and maybe modify the hood. I'm no expert on Jeeps, but it appears that the front end is the only real change over the years. Based on earlier comments about the interior, perhaps the front end was the only change that MPC made when updating the kit.

Either way, it looks like a mostly factory stock 72 Commando is possible from the kit, and that's my plan.

Thank you Jim. Idid not know the other front end was in there.

Thanks for the comments guys. The Jeepster grill is included in the reissue kit, but as stated by others, you would half to modify the front fenders and hood to make one of the earlier Jeepster versions. There are several threads on here that show and tell how to do this conversion. I can't seem to link them on here, I'm on my phone at work, but a search of Jeep Commando on here will find them. I was going to try one but I was lucky enough to find a built up original at my model club swap meet. It was missing a few pieces but luckly, they were among the left over parts from this build and I could restore it. Hope to see your builds when they're done.

Jeff 

Cool. Nice job on that one! It sounds like your build went like my 1:1 build. Change one little thing and you wind up having to change 3 more things. I just bought that kit too and plan to either do the front end early style like mine or use the TJ front.

June 22-2013 018.jpg