Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Seven Replica - diary of a build F I N I S H E D

da Speedinger

2018-11-02
In my previous post i stated: "Ready 4 paint!".
But when making the assembly instructions i again had the steering wheel i had chosen in my hands which still did not satisfy me, cause it's too big.
I had 2 Mini steering wheels, i like the white one more but the black one was a bit smaller, that's why i choose this one.
Therefore i decided to build one from scratch and now i'm happy!

20181102_172752.jpg.9bf9b3d7d91cea054f693cbd3ed4ce40.jpg

This was my template for the steering wheel:

cockpit.jpg.dbb2bc1e5f60a3ca0bce661d706da1c9.jpg

13 hours ago, da Speedinger said:

2018-11-02
In my previous post i stated: "Ready 4 paint!".
But when making the assembly instructions i again had the steering wheel i had chosen in my hands which still did not satisfy me, cause it's too big.
I had 2 Mini steering wheels, i like the white one more but the black one was a bit smaller, that's why i choose this one.
Therefore i decided to build one from scratch and now i'm happy!

20181102_172752.jpg.9bf9b3d7d91cea054f693cbd3ed4ce40.jpg

This was my template for the steering wheel:

cockpit.jpg.dbb2bc1e5f60a3ca0bce661d706da1c9.jpg

That steering wheel is on a Lotus 6 by the look of it.

steve

2 hours ago, da Speedinger said:

Thank you Alex. Your frequent comments are very much appreciated!

I really like these cars, and you are taking a very non-traditional approach to recreating one, especially with all the kits available out there.

As a model builder, I know what it takes to make something from scratch and look like the real thing. It takes skill and good eye, and looks like you have plenty of both!

3 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

I really like these cars, and you are taking a very non-traditional approach to recreating one, especially with all the kits available out there.

As a model builder, I know what it takes to make something from scratch and look like the real thing. It takes skill and good eye, and looks like you have plenty of both!

Well, there's not much to say after such kind words from you. Except - you perfectly nailed it! You're right, i don't want to go out, buy and build a popular kit, then add all available detail up sets. Don't get me wrong - this gives you superb results and requires plenty of skills to make it. But hundred or thousand others can do the same and then they all have more or less the same build sitting on their shelves. I prefer to create something only I have. Even if my results are far from perfect and the finish should be a lot better, especially on the paint job.

• da Speedinger changed the title to Lotus Seven Replica - diary of a build F I N I S H E D