Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lotus Seven Replica - diary of a build F I N I S H E D

da Speedinger

2018-11-22
Well, i should be ready with the build by now, but that isn't the case. I had a big issue when adding the hood to the car which was a major fail. I thought i could pre-bend the hood and then glue it to the scuttle and nose cone and do the missing bending while glueing. Result was: i messed up a lot of painted bodywork and the hood is trash.
I am currently making a new hood with internal support to have it in bent shape in order to glue it on without the need of further bending. Also canceled the louvres. And furthermore i have to try to repair the damages i have made, which i already know won't work at 100%.

• da Speedinger changed the title to Lotus Seven Replica - diary of a build F I N I S H E D
On 12/10/2018 at 12:39 AM, da Speedinger said:

Thank you Ralph. I'm curious - what were the things you learned?

Just some of your techniques for making the individual parts.  That's one of the great things about forums like this, you see what somebody else does, and it gives you ideas for your own projects.  Mostly shaping the styrene pieces to make the parts you need.  Lots of little pieces, added together, make one big piece.  Like your rear fender, the hood pieces, the nose.

Like I said, awesome job!

8 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

Lots of little pieces, added together, make one big piece.

I should loose some words on that. One thing which is not obvious when making everything yourself is the fact that it is necessary to regularly step one or to steps back to take a look at the whole picture.
When making one part, you always have to check
- does it interfear with other parts i have already made?
- how can i paint this?
- how do i fit it into the car?
- in which sequence do i have to assemble all the parts? so that i won't end up having a part which i cannot put into the car any more.
especially the last point took many hours to develop and write down an assembly instruction which i re-checked several times. that was a real challenge!