Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Italianhorses

Tamiya 1/24 Mazda Savanna RX-7 - 1st Generation Rotary Rocket

Recommended Posts

So....with my first entry to the box-stock contest done, I decided to enter another one. I have a few kits in my stash that I really don't want to spend much time on (i.e. do a super-detailed build with bunch of scratchbuilt stuff) but wouldn't mind putting them on the shelf and as such the rules of the contest to built it 100% box-stock work well for this. And this makes for a quick build. So, my next project is Tamiya 1/24 Mazda Savanna RX-7. 

This is a rather rare kit (Tamiya 2409), number 9 in the catalog - even before they switched to 5-digit numbering. I believe issue date 1979? But I didn't buy these to collect dust, so here comes the rotary rocket.

45368814832_4f7eb45f1f_c.jpg

45368814752_7b94c753ff_c.jpg

44696200394_35297c2cb8_c.jpg

45368814782_f67d736fff_c.jpg

Edited by Italianhorses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

Looks cool, are you going to put the motor in it?

Yes! Will make it motorized! Would be a first for me, actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justin Porter said:

On initial viewing, is there anything the Tamiya kit does better than the full detail Monogram?  

Hard for me to say without looking at Monogram kit, but just by looking at the pictures that I googled, the wheels and tires for sure. The moldings seem a lot crisper, too - but that could be just perception.

Monogram might be a better kit, but here is the thing - after my long time hiatus, I realized that the reason I wanted to build models was to have fun while doing it.

Superdetailed builds are certainly give you sense of accomplishment and all that, but let's be honest, the process of researching every little detail and then recreating it in scale sometimes can be daunting, and this is the reason a lot of these ambitious projects take years to complete, if ever. You just loose focus and interest. These "quickie" box-stockers are super fun to build, reminds me why I picked up this hobby in the first place.

Its something that took me a while to come to. Not every model has to have an engine or full suspension detail. Not every detail on the model has to be right and 100% true to the original. Bob Downie once told me this very thing and I don't think I understood it back then. I do now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad to see you back in the saddle Alex. Your building style and presentation are always top-notch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.10.2018 at 10:11 PM, Italianhorses said:

Superdetailed builds are certainly give you sense of accomplishment and all that, but let's be honest, the process of researching every little detail and then recreating it in scale sometimes can be daunting, and this is the reason a lot of these ambitious projects take years to complete, if ever. You just loose focus and interest. These "quickie" box-stockers are super fun to build, reminds me why I picked up this hobby in the first place.

Its something that took me a while to come to. Not every model has to have an engine or full suspension detail. Not every detail on the model has to be right and 100% true to the original.

My opinion absolutely, nicely put. I try to commit myself to the level of detailing (which equals level of work) I intend to put into a kit, prior to even starting it. Needless to say, this does not always work as you grow on the model and mostly discover lots of its shortcomings no sooner than in the middle of the process. I'm glad I've not only grown as a modeler but also in character (if you know what I mean) - compared to my first "great building period" 20 or 25 years ago - which gives me the patience to put a build on hold for a while, if necessary. Which is exactly what I am doing now with the Porsche build because I felt that all the adjusting work for the aftermarket parts is not that much fun anymore at the moment. You see I'm in it for the fun of building too, but unlike in former times I won't let impatience get the better of me. I guess that when you're a bit older you don't want to waste good results easily anymore...

Edited by Tommy124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Tommy124 said:

My opinion absolutely, nicely put. I try to commit myself to the level of detailing (which equals level of work) I intend to put into a kit, prior to even starting it. Needless to say, this does not always work as you grow on the model and mostly discover lots of its shortcomings no sooner than in the middle of the process. I'm glad I've not only grown as a modeler but also in character (if you know what I mean) - compared to my first "great building period" 20 or 25 years ago - which gives me the patience to put a build on hold for a while, if necessary. Which is exactly what I am doing now with the Porsche build because I felt that all the adjusting work for the aftermarket parts is not that much fun anymore at the moment. You see I'm in it for the fun of building too, but unlike in former times I won't let impatience get the better of me. I guess that when you're a bit older you don't want to waste good results easily anymore...

Totally agree. My skills have improved while my adherence to detail has come down. I realize now once I build the model, no one (including myself) seems to have much appreciation for the high level of detail in the least visible areas. These include the under-body and some interior details in a non-convertible model. I look back sometimes and say "why did I worry so much about that, i cant even see it". Meanwhile, my body errors and detailing are super apparent. I spend a lot more time on the finish and accents now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, Italianhorses said:

Hard for me to say without looking at Monogram kit, but just by looking at the pictures that I googled, the wheels and tires for sure. The moldings seem a lot crisper, too - but that could be just perception.

Monogram might be a better kit, but here is the thing - after my long time hiatus, I realized that the reason I wanted to build models was to have fun while doing it.

Superdetailed builds are certainly give you sense of accomplishment and all that, but let's be honest, the process of researching every little detail and then recreating it in scale sometimes can be daunting, and this is the reason a lot of these ambitious projects take years to complete, if ever. You just loose focus and interest. These "quickie" box-stockers are super fun to build, reminds me why I picked up this hobby in the first place.

Its something that took me a while to come to. Not every model has to have an engine or full suspension detail. Not every detail on the model has to be right and 100% true to the original. Bob Downie once told me this very thing and I don't think I understood it back then. I do now!

I fully agree with the "built for fun" ethos you're talking about Alex. I mostly ask because I've long been a fan of the Monogram kit but if there are things to pirate from the Tamiya kit to improve it, I'm curious to know. 

It's kind of like my personal debate over 240Z kits. I do LIKE the Fujimi 240Z kit, but good lord does it look wonky compared to the the Hasegawa or even the old Revell kit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, Italianhorses said:

Hard for me to say without looking at Monogram kit, but just by looking at the pictures that I googled, the wheels and tires for sure. The moldings seem a lot crisper, too - but that could be just perception.

Monogram might be a better kit, but here is the thing - after my long time hiatus, I realized that the reason I wanted to build models was to have fun while doing it.

Superdetailed builds are certainly give you sense of accomplishment and all that, but let's be honest, the process of researching every little detail and then recreating it in scale sometimes can be daunting, and this is the reason a lot of these ambitious projects take years to complete, if ever. You just loose focus and interest. These "quickie" box-stockers are super fun to build, reminds me why I picked up this hobby in the first place.

Its something that took me a while to come to. Not every model has to have an engine or full suspension detail. Not every detail on the model has to be right and 100% true to the original. Bob Downie once told me this very thing and I don't think I understood it back then. I do now!

Absolutely so true! Recently, I've been thinking this myself.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the RX-7 Alex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update - really just cleaned up the body, cut the panel lines, and coated with primer. Chassis and suspension bits were painted flat black.

43863713820_d05f9f2484_c.jpg

30741097417_afa8acdfa3_c.jpg

43863714630_03263d9ede_c.jpg

30741097387_417dfb99bb_c.jpg

Paint next! Decided on Lime Green metallic, much like on the box cover. I think its the best color for the little rocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stevenkelby said:

Those panel lines are SHARP! What's your technique there? 

Honestly, I just scraped then with the back of exacto knife.... Several times to give them depth, but nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah childhood memories, it seemed that every Japanese model kit s was motorized back then, my dad had (has) 1/24th scale motorized tanks.

My first Tamiya kit I built (with the help of my dad) was a Racing BMW323 in City corp livery...still have it....but it got a respray and ficticious sponsor decals.....I should dig it out when visiting my parrents...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Honestly, I just scraped then with the back of exacto knife.... Several times to give them depth, but nothing more.

Great work, thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

Ah childhood memories, it seemed that every Japanese model kit s was motorized back then, my dad had (has) 1/24th scale motorized tanks.

My first Tamiya kit I built (with the help of my dad) was a Racing BMW323 in City corp livery...still have it....but it got a respray and ficticious sponsor decals.....I should dig it out when visiting my parrents...

 

I just bought this kit!

10 hours ago, wisdonm said:

Good to see you back Alex. Give 'em hell.

Haha, yes sir!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Italianhorses said:

Decided to go with lime green metallic after all.

No clear yet, just color coat.

45738084571_942f205f53_c.jpg

30797766697_4841db034f_c.jpg

30797766597_7dd26d9771_c.jpg

That looks GREAT!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is looking really nice. I love the color.

And the Green finger nails are a good look on you. :lol:

 

Edited by Oldmopars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

That is looking really nice. I love the color.

And the Green finger nails are a good look on you. :lol:

 

Haha, that's what I get for forgetting to put gloves!

My wife also gave me compliments on well-done manicure. Though, she said its rather radical color.

I said it was all the rage back in the 70's Japan! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...