Model Cars Magazine Forum
Tiger89

AMT 1968 Mercury Cougar XR-7 GT, 390 4-speed.

A pair of Diamond Blue '68s.  I used another Revell '68 Mustang kit for the front chassis section and engine bay on the Cougar.  The GTE hood was a resin piece found on E-bay.  I used custom-mixed Tamiya acrylics through an air brush and wish I'd used the can of aerosol automotive touch-up lacquer that I forgot I had.  Both models have some flaws, but they were fun to build.  Keith Marks decals used for the Cougar, and the tiny pinstripes were hard to work with.  The 1/1 Cougar is an XR-7, 302/automatic.  It would really be nice if Revell would do a '67-'68 Cougar like they've done recently with their new '67 Plymouth GTX.

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

Thanks for the complements.  I resumed building models earlier this year after about a 25-year break from the hobby.  That Cougar kit was in its original side-opening box for a couple years before I finally decided to tackle it.  It and the '67 AMT kit are getting scarce and valuable.

Beautiful pair !  Gotta say I really like that Cougar !

These Cougars were very nice cars in 1:1 and this model shows that well. Interesting color combination that really looks good on this model. Nicely detailed engine also.  

Very well done vinyl roof on an overall great looking model of the Cougar. I remember being very impressed with the XR-7 package back in the day. The dashboard mimicked those in Jaguars.

EVERY model has flaws. In this case, they must be extremely small flaws. I like them both!

Very nice pair of Fords! Always liked the front end of the cougars 

Well done! I have an old Cougatbkit that was my  dads. One day I’m going to get it out redo it.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:21 AM, OldTrucker said:

Wish someone would kit a new 67 or 68 Cougar kit!

Two beautiful Fords!B)

I can agree, on both counts.

Love everything about this cougar perfect color perfect top just like you would see back then

Very nice! I’m finishing up a 68 428CJ mustang kit now and finished a 68 Cougar GT as well. I just took pics of my finished builds and will be posting them soon!