Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Corvette 427

Ken Gilkeson

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

That's the Revell kit though........MPC and AMT never quite got that roofline right, and Revell's is 'bout spot on.

I believe AMT had it right back in 1969, but the later (currently in reissue) '70-'72 kit has it just a little too high in the rear. There is enough meat in it to file/sand the right shape out of it, though. I've done it--twice. 

The MPC body has something similarly wrong with the roof. I'm working on fixing it on a '75 promo. Not sure I've got it perfect, but I think I've got it closer. 

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

The MPC body has something similarly wrong with the roof. I'm working on fixing it on a '75 promo. Not sure I've got it perfect, but I think I've got it closer. 

I'm restoring an MPC '74 (haven't started a thread yet) and I had to do some corrections in the sail panel area particularly. AMT's never quite looked right in the cowl area, particularly the convertible's windshield always seemed to 'low' for me.

At least that's just me noticing that.......others may feel differently! :D

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Also, the little "wings" at the ends of the rear window. Definitely Revell.

It's curious why those chose to shape the rear window that way..... :huh:

13 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

It's curious why those chose to shape the rear window that way..... :huh:

My guess is, they couldn't make the body mold work with that corner "fleshed out" in styrene. Although AMT and MPC seem to have done it no problem. 

When I built one of these, I just touched up those "wings" on the window with body paint. If I were to do it again, I'd probably cut them off and mold them into the body sails before painting. 

Revell68VetteHT34.jpg.c5f8378ab0831ed79abd327bfefa865f.jpg

20 hours ago, Ken Gilkeson said:

I'll stand corrected on it being a revell kit built in the 80's. nice lookin' builds Richard.

Thanks! I didn't mean to hijack your thread or show off, so I apologize--just wanted to illustrate the little rear-window thing we were talking about. :wacko: