Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grrr... Seriously, Flies?

Long, ultimately pointless rant warning. It has been raining for weeks now here in Austin, flooding in a lot of it and this week the temperature dropped into the 50s. I have a glue bomb 1960 F100 that I've been restoring for 2 years. I stripped the original brushed on paint and the new paint ran. I stripped it again and painted it. The paint crinkled on the door. Stripped again and I got the first color on then got it masked for the two-tone and that day it started raining and it pretty much hasn't stopped. The truck has been sitting waiting and this afternoon I took a chance and sprayed the second color which went on great. I set it down to dry a little before removing the masking tape. I came back and there were two flies stuck to the paint. I haven't seen a fly in weeks and two just decide to drop by and commit suicide just as I'm spraying.

Don't give up yet. When the paint dries, pick or cut the flies out, and it might be possible to polish out their "footprints." I routinely polish out dust and other paint boogers. 

Or a second coat of paint over the spot might do the trick. All is not hopeless yet! 

Flies are easy!  We have wasps.  They have nested up on the roof, coming and going from under a shingle.  A few of them a day make their way into the house, one of which stung me on the back of my neck. Not fun.   I have been spraying them like crazy, killing a ton of them but there are always a few more.

Hey, it could be worse.................they COULD have decided to take a journey across the hood, up the A pillar, over the roof, down the C pillar, and finally giving up the ghost half way down the trunk lid! Ask me how I know...............had it happen many times on 1:1 cars before I had a super spray booth. One or two suicides in single spots can be handled!

You know, this truck just doesn't seem to WANT to be painted. Must be a bad omen. There's only one way to eliminate this dilemma...

Sent it to me so I can take the suffering away from you - really, you have had this stress for two years, that can't be healthy. I'll be glad to help. :rolleyes:

Seriously, send us pictures when the weather gets better. 

We live near a small body of water, and the bug spray guy says that promotes the growth of Spyder's.  Now that the weather is starting to cool off from summer the Spyder's are coming inside. I have sprayed but that hasn't seemed to slow them down much. They seem to like door ways and corners. I'm about ready to carry a brume with me when I go from room to room.   

19 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Flies are easy!  We have wasps.  They have nested up on the roof, coming and going from under a shingle.  A few of them a day make their way into the house, one of which stung me on the back of my neck. Not fun.   I have been spraying them like crazy, killing a ton of them but there are always a few more.

Sounds like they are in the attic of your house. Are they the yellow and black wasps. If they are you can go in the attic at night and spray the paper nest with spray, Get the foaming kind you can spray from 20 feet away.  Soak down the nest good 

The paint has hardened enough to assess the damage. After removing the carcasses, I think it will be salvageable one way or another. There are two big places and some areas where the paint is thin from the wings flailing. If nothing else, I'll call it patina!

ModelTruckDamagedPaint.jpg

6 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

If nothing else, I'll call it patina!

ModelTruckDamagedPaint.jpg

Instant weathering, I like it!

Doesn't look too bad, it'll probably polish right out.

Serves those little buggers right, for getting so close to look. Probably been a while since they've seen a 60 Ford p/u too.