Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mega Millions.....

Deuces

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'd find me another wife...and pay a high-end attorney for an iron-clad prenup this time.

I would NOT commit that crime again!!!!!

First thing would be enroll in the Witness Relocation Program.....I'm off the grid!

Second would be start an animal rescue/refuge/sanctuary as rehoming my father's dog when he was no longer able to care for him was a struggle.  I've seen too many dogs dumped at shelters when their human can no longer care for them and family can't/won't take the animal.

I'd buy build a house on a mountain with an electric razor wire fence around it so nobody would ever bother me again. Then I would just build models and maybe purchase a few of my favorite automobiles for the garage. Like a 1964 Comet Caliente 2 dr HT and a 1964 Ford Galaxy 2 dr HT to start.

I would not donate to charities as I would like to see the money help people and animals directly. As well intentioned as some are, several have leadership making more than I think someone should make for running a charity. I would get a list of things a charity I wish to support needed and then find the best price for those things in order to make the donation stretch as far as it could go. Maybe buy a large parcel of land and open up a shelter for abandoned animals staffed by volunteers and animal lovers. Would also buy an old Walmart for the car collection I would buy and a room dedicated to building models. As far as my life, I hope it would be pretty much the same as I view money as a tool to get things done. I would just have a lot bigger toolbox.

I'd get myself a place in Tofino, BC right on the ocean. Put a Jeep Wrangler in the garage out there. 

Would also get a membership in one of those private jet charter clubs so I can utilize it to fly out to Tofino whenever I want. 

Around home, we'd move, larger house but in the same area. The contents of the garage would improve, but it's not like I'd be buying dozens of cars. Wifey wants a new Tahoe. I'd want an AEV Prospector XL built on a Ram megacab. Porsche 964RS. Maybe a Charger Daytona or Superbird. 

The guitar collection would increase a huge amount.

The kiddies would of course be set up for all future educational needs. And future housing for when they move out. 

I'd go talk to the Stollery Children's Hospital and talk about what they are trying to raise funds for over the next 5, 10, 15 years and see how we can make those projects happen.

Then I'd head on over to the Edmonton Humane Society and discuss some big projects and how I could assist.

Maybe after all of that, and some travelling, I'd look into building my own racetrack. Some kind of road course, maybe hire a guy and ensure it's FIA approved, just for funsies.

Last evening we were sitting, eating at the bar in our favorite pub.  Picture Cheers, where everybody knows your name.  The lottery was the topic of the evening. Phil, a retired banker started talking about taking the cash option, the percentage of taxes and how to invest, etc.   I stopped him.  I basically said that was enough money that you could put it in a non interest bearing checking account and still not be able to spend it all in a lifetime!   Seriously, 1.6 Billion is way too much money!   

I'm not equipped to live the life of the rich and famous. I have solid middle class values. I can see living pretty much at the level we do now, only we wouldn't have to worry about money anymore.  I'd still drink Yuengling Lager.

I'd immediately pay off college loans for all my nieces and nephews.  I'd pay off all of our family's mortgages.  Nobody would get a million dollars, everyone would still work for a living and instill those values in their children.  I would not take the sense of achievement away.  But they all would have a safety net that would guarantee they'd never be homeless.  There would be a family fund for all future college educations.

Me?  I'm 60 and would be lost without a schedule and a project.  Only I'd find something more interesting, that wouldn't need to show a profit.  Maybe relocate the International Model Car Museum into it's own building in New York City?  Who knows. Maybe restore some historic buildings just for the fun of it.

I would take some time to wander.  A few years ago my wife and I were unemployed at the same time and I suggested we sell the house, buy a camper and roam the USA for a year.  She thought I was crazy.  This time we'd do it.   I'd take a month's drive across Australia and visit all my friends there. I'd bring back a Valiant VC Ute, I've always wanted one of those.  I would attend the NNL in Australia and South Africa.

And it would be nice to fund social projects. My daughter showed me a video of a drug intervention program in our NJ town, started by a guy who she went to school with.  He had overcome heroin addiction and  started a program to help others.  He'd get some funding!  

And there is the downside.  You'd forever be chased by people wanting money.  You'd have to worry about relatives being kidnapped and managing the money. When my daughter was little she said she wanted to be rich and famous someday. I explained that rich was good. Famous wasn't such a good idea.  Just like Bruce Springsteen cannot go in public without being spotted. Nothing is easy and without consequences!

32 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Last evening we were sitting, eating at the bar in our favorite pub.  Picture Cheers, where everybody knows your name.  The lottery was the topic of the evening. Phil, a retired banker started talking about taking the cash option, the percentage of taxes and how to invest, etc.   I stopped him.  I basically said that was enough money that you could put it in a non interest bearing checking account and still not be able to spend it all in a lifetime!   Seriously, 1.6 Billion is way too much money!   

I'm not equipped to live the life of the rich and famous. I have solid middle class values. I can see living pretty much at the level we do now, only we wouldn't have to worry about money anymore.  I'd still drink Yuengling Lager.

I'd immediately pay off college loans for all my nieces and nephews.  I'd pay off all of our family's mortgages.  Nobody would get a million dollars, everyone would still work for a living and instill those values in their children.  I would not take the sense of achievement away.  But they all would have a safety net that would guarantee they'd never be homeless.  There would be a family fund for all future college educations.

Me?  I'm 60 and would be lost without a schedule and a project.  Only I'd find something more interesting, that wouldn't need to show a profit.  Maybe relocate the International Model Car Museum into it's own building in New York City?  Who knows. Maybe restore some historic buildings just for the fun of it.

I would take some time to wander.  A few years ago my wife and I were unemployed at the same time and I suggested we sell the house, buy a camper and roam the USA for a year.  She thought I was crazy.  This time we'd do it.   I'd take a month's drive across Australia and visit all my friends there. I'd bring back a Valiant VC Ute, I've always wanted one of those.  I would attend the NNL in Australia and South Africa.

And it would be nice to fund social projects. My daughter showed me a video of a drug intervention program in our NJ town, started by a guy who she went to school with.  He had overcome heroin addiction and  started a program to help others.  He'd get some funding!  

And there is the downside.  You'd forever be chased by people wanting money.  You'd have to worry about relatives being kidnapped and managing the money. When my daughter was little she said she wanted to be rich and famous someday. I explained that rich was good. Famous wasn't such a good idea.  Just like Bruce Springsteen cannot go in public without being spotted. Nothing is easy and without consequences!

I agree with this above . Another thing is I would be talking to one of the model kit manufacturers about a few new tool kits 

Arizona doesn't permanent anonymity, only for the first  for 90 days, so the first thing I'd be obligated to buy is some kind of long-term personal security, and/or some means of heading off the folks who have bad intentions. Such is the reality of the world these days. I have no debt, but I live near the poverty line, so next on the list is a bit more reasonable comfort overall. Nicer place to live, a degree or two more A/C in the summer, a bit more heat in the winter, my daily driver made into a far more reliable one, and a couple of automotive toys beyond that, along with time to devote to more model building. Then I could buy some more overall comfort for family members and those others around me in need of that. But all of that only costs a few million, perhaps.

What I'd 'buy' with all the rest is the best possible staff to administer a charitable foundation that'll last for decades to follow, solving human/animal suffering/discomfort around the world that currently go unsolved due to a shortage of financing, along with providing financing a huge variety of other projects to make life better - life saving equipment for underfunded firefighters and emergency responders in small communities, material and money for museums and major building / property restorations, scholarships for students, on and on.

First off make sure God gets his cut as called for.

Then...

I'd buy property and build homes for all our kids with a trust to pay the taxes and maintenence.

Set up trusts for all our grandkids

Last make sure the wife and I are taken care of.

I'd send her to the Mayo Clinic and say "fix her up" never mind the cost!

Then I'd buy me a 69 Malibu and have it redone just like the one I had in the 70's!

20 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I'd retire and build some models.  And get a bigger garage for a few more 1:1s.

I were just talking about this yesterday with my Mom and my newlywed Sister (married on 10/19/18), and one of the things brought up would be a multipurpose hobby room if we were to all stay under one roof, as well as a large, high roof garage (something that I can fit a larger van on and lift it far enough off the ground to walk under it), and a paint booth we could use for various projects of ours. She does a lit of crafty type stuff, her husband is into Gundam Models, then there would be my models, plus who knows what else automotive I might drag home.

I'd buy a nicer House and perhaps a property further north for summers and further south for winters.  I would help my kids with a large down payment but expect some of their income go to supporting themselves.  Giving them evertyhing would be a big mistake. They have no debt (college or cars) and are graduating soon.  But before they enter the workforce we would travel to England (Goodwood) and France (Lemans) and throw in Monte Carlo and rent a yatch to watch the F1 race.  A month trip to Australia would be nice with side trips to New Zealand and Japan and Hawaii.  After we got tired of travel I'd buy about seven cars (Pantera, GT40, 67 Eleanor, 68 Bullitt, 69 Shelby, Boss 351 and Daytona Cobra Coupe) with a state of the art garage.  I'd hit up BJ, auctions, Daytona 500, Monterey, Woodward, and Knots Berr Farm and many other shows.  I would go to all the major model car contests and buy a few kits I do not have now.  Since the chances of this happening are zilch, I hope to at least do some of these things in retirement but I might be staying in the Motel 6 and dining at 7-11 and not staying in five star hotels.  As for charities, I have pretty good insight to their expense ratios so I would choose wisely when donating to them.  I like the show undercover boss when peoples lives are made a lot better with an amount of money that is much less than many people make in 3 months.

Edited by vamach1

11 hours ago, High octane said:

I don't play those lottery jackpots as I have a better chance of surviving a fall off a cliff as the odds of winning the jackpot is more than terrible.

That is the problem - the odds.  Few years ago both the Mega Millions and the Power Ball changed their rules (increased the pool of numbers to pick from) which greatly decreased the odds of winning the jackpot.  Under the old rules the jackpots were usually between 30 and few hundred Million Dollars. They also doubled the price of the ticket. With the new lower odds of winning and doubled price to play the jackpot grows much higher, but is that really good?  I would rather see more people (including me) winning smaller (but still very large) jackpots more often. But the lottery is not about the players - it is about the lottery (government) making money.

I have heard lottery being called "tax on poor people" because while that part of the population pays no, or little taxes, they buy lottery tickets with the little money that they have, and usually they have nothing to show for.

As for what to do with all that money, I'm sure I would find something to do with it. :D  And I'm sure that one can easily adapt to the lavish life of the rich and famous.  You won't know that until you actually have that money at hand.  I have also heard that many average-folk lottery winners go broke.  Spending money is easy.

Edited by peteski

Pete I agree with you that the numbers they are hitting are excessive.. note that in my post I said 1.6 Billion was more than anyone could ever spend in a lifetime. I'd like to see some reasonable limits on the winnings, and several winners instead of one person coming into all that.  

There are some well grounded and reasonable folks on this board. Unfortunately the lottery has ruined some folks lives. People who spent like drunken sailors and wound up broke again, and I remember one guy who gave his granddaughter loads of money and she ODed on drugs she bought with the windfall. He certainly regrets winning the lottery.

Deep down I know I will never win the lottery.  But it's worth $2 a drawing just to dream about it.  Eventually there will be a winner. Some goob just like us, so why not us?

My wife and I have a small 10 acre hobby farm. We'd likely start by buying up the forty acres north of us and thirty acres south of us. We'd go off the grid using solar and wind power. Make a deal with some neighbors for partial water rights to the creek that runs through my property. Get a half dozen beef cows and my wife a couple horses and all the toys we need/want.

45 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Pete I agree with you that the numbers they are hitting are excessive.. note that in my post I said 1.6 Billion was more than anyone could ever spend in a lifetime. I'd like to see some reasonable limits on the winnings, and several winners instead of one person coming into all that.  

There are some well grounded and reasonable folks on this board. Unfortunately the lottery has ruined some folks lives. People who spent like drunken sailors and wound up broke again, and I remember one guy who gave his granddaughter loads of money and she ODed on drugs she bought with the windfall. He certainly regrets winning the lottery.

Deep down I know I will never win the lottery.  But it's worth $2 a drawing just to dream about it.  Eventually there will be a winner. Some goob just like us, so why not us?

Again, with the odds against you, you might as well just flush the $2 down the toilet.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

My wife and I have a small 10 acre hobby farm. We'd likely start by buying up the forty acres north of us and thirty acres south of us. We'd go off the grid using solar and wind power. Make a deal with some neighbors for partial water rights to the creek that runs through my property. Get a half dozen beef cows and my wife a couple horses and all the toys we need/want.

Sounds like heaven to me. Seriously. Just need a rough airstrip and a capable bush-plane. :D