Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tire history?

Oldmopars

As I have been building this Gasser I have learned a lot about the early Gasser history. One thing I can't seem to find is a tire history. I know that M&H Race Master tire were around from the 50's. but when did they stop the Pie Crust side walls and go to a smooth side wall. Someone said the Goodyear Blue streaks did not come out till 1964 or 1965? What other tires were out there and when were they produced?

Is there anywhere that has a history and timeline for when the different tires were made and what they looked like? Google has not been much help this time.

Not sure about Gasser tires but I do know that several manufacturers made either recaps (passenger car carcass/slick tread) or "Cheater slicks" for Stock and Super Stock Eliminator cars. Bruce was another tire maker (dragster slicks) however I`m not sure if they were still in business by 64/65. Hope that helps at least a little.

:):):)

In keeping your 40 Ford Gasser "period correct" to 1962, yes the Pie-crust slicks would be correct...….   The "event" that was probably "responsible" for the end of the M&H Pie-crust slicks was in the spring of 1965 when Goodyear got Dick Landy to bring his injected 426/ awb Dodge  A/FX car to Fontana Dragstrip for a tire comparison against their new "wrinkle wall" slicks.   Landy's car with the "pie-crusts" left the line carrying the front tires about six inches off the ground, then they put on the "wrinkle-walls"...….   The car launched so hard that it literally stood on the back bumper!!!   The rest is history...…..

DJ

Scott I like to build from original photos then you can see what different cars had on them. I started going to the drag strip in 1965 and saw all big names from that day run. agree with DJ about the pie-crust slicks. I remember seeing both in 1965 but buy 1966 most were wrinkle-walls. A good place to look at photos is George Klass Remembers for 50's - 60's photos.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:39 AM, mredjr said:

Scott I like to build from original photos then you can see what different cars had on them. I started going to the drag strip in 1965 and saw all big names from that day run. agree with DJ about the pie-crust slicks. I remember seeing both in 1965 but buy 1966 most were wrinkle-walls. A good place to look at photos is George Klass Remembers for 50's - 60's photos.

I love that site and have looked at the photos at least 10 times. Only issue is there is no date on the photos, so you have to use details in the background like other cars to decide what year it might be. So if there is a 66 Impala, you know it was at least 1966 or later, but was it 1966 or 1971?

Some photos I can see all the background cars are older than 196X and can assume the years, but still don't know. Not everyone bought a new car every year. So just because all the cars are older than 1964, does not mean the picture was from 1964. Also, I do not know if the cars were NHRA or AHRA or even just locals with loose rules, so using the rules for the year does not always nail it down either.

I still love the site and it is still very useful.