Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 10/21/2018 at 5:15 PM, Jim B said:

Should be a nice project.

I like the rockets in the background.  Is the white one a Phoenix missile? What's the gray one?

They are both the same Phoenix rocket from Estes, the gray one is the more accurate modern paint scheme, but the very old decals went south on me.  I'm looking into alternative decals.

Edited by Gldknght7

I believe the 8V-92 engines were painted as a complete unit...it could also have been white (I think the instructions calls out for white)...but I have not seen any pictures of the Papa Truck engine anywhere so I don't know for sure wich color it should be...white or silver are correct for the 8V-92 anyway as Kenworth had white engines up to 1975, but as allways there are exceptions to the rule as you can see engine manufacturers colors before and white engines after that date in Kenworth trucks.
The engine in the Hideout Truck transporter was silver with chrome valve covers tho'.

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, Force said:

Of course, it's your model and you do as you please. B)

According to the video and information I've found on the web, my colors are correct.  These motors were white PRIOR to 1975 and sliver after 1975>

From scaleautomag.com

Detroit Diesel:
Alpine Green for most 2-stroke engines in the 53 and 71 series and some 92 series
Silver for some 12V-71 and 8V-92 Usually Turbo Charged engines
Grayish blue for the Series 60

Now to the exceptions:

Kenworth had White engines up to 1975, from 1975 manufacturers colors.

According to http://tyronemalone.net, this truck was a 1976 Vit-200 Kenworth with a 8V-92T twin turbo charged Detroit Diesel 430 hp motor:

So silver would be correct for the motor.  I've painted various engine accessories slightly different shades for a little contrast, and as we all know, various parts of an engine reach different operating temps, so the paint would "cook" a little different on each area.

As I said in my earlier post, there are exceptions to the rule when it comes to Kenworth and Peterbilt engine colors, they were white from aproximately 1950 up to 1975 in Kenworths and up to 1985 in Perterbilts and Caterpillar was the last engine manufacturer to paint engines white for PACCAR...But... you can find white engines in KW and Pete trucks after said dates and engine manufacturer colors before said dates, so 1975 is not a definitive date when Kenworth stopped completely.
The Papa Truck transporter is a 1976 VIT-200 Bicentennial Edition first unveiled at the International Truck Show March 24th 1976 and Papa Truck came into service with Malone in June 1976...so the engine is most likely silver.

I have done lots of research on the Malone trucks over the years and collected everything I have found so far, I'm in contact now and then with Ken Harris who owns the tyronemalone.net website and Tyrone Malone and the Bandag diesel racing team facebook group, Ken worked for Malone and drove the Papa Truck transporter on the European Tour in 1989.
The "fan card" for the Papa Truck on the Malone websites is a bit exaggerated, the engine doesn't have twin turbos as the card says, only one.
Here is a picture of the engine in the Hideout Truck transporter wich is a regular 1978 Aerodyne specified similar to the Papa Truck but not a Bicentennial,  otherwise they are pretty much the same.
The "fan card" for the Hideout truck also says "8V-92T Twin Turbocharged 430 hp"...but I only see one turbo. :rolleyes:
As you can see the engine is silver in this truck.

Hideouttruck7.thumb.jpg.b73252fc03098c98cc44f733afc2d8e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed some orange peel when I painted my wheel inserts today, so spent most of my building time scrubbing parts in the sink with some detergent.  This won't be noticeable with the tires on, but did not want to take a chance on parts that will be visible:

DSC_0016.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...