Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70.5 Baldwin Motion Camaro

THORDOOR220

As for my interior I use colored card stock thru a cheese grater. I pick my color, fold up my card stock paper. Shred it. I put a piece of computer paper under my grater to catch my carpeting. I usually paint where I'm carpeting the same color as the carpet. Let dry. Brush on Elmer's white glue (its acrylic so water wash up) now here's where the magic happens. Your going to hold a piece of screen over where you just glued. Put your shredded paper on the screen and move it around and the dust/smaller particles will fall thru the screen onto the glue. Once enough is in there press lightly and let dry. Tap off the access by tapping the interior upside down on a counter. Dont do the whole tub at once. Do one side then the other then the trunk lid

21 hours ago, Plastic_Passion said:

My girlfriend accidentally turned my 300zx into a convertible that a 18 y/o would drive

I am 18, and my convertible is a little bit nicer than that lol

So you basically made your own flocking with paper? That’s a smart idea

Edited by THORDOOR220

I didn’t take it as such, so no worries lol haven’t thought of cardboard, that’s an idea. I’ve considered creating a seat frame and covering it in actual cloth, or maybe a real thin vinyl. The seams and such could be difficult, though I suppose they could be cut into the frame (sheet styrene and putty to make the ‘foam’?). Could be something to try. I won’t mess with that for this build, but perhaps my ‘48 ford model coming up.

19 minutes ago, THORDOOR220 said:

I didn’t take it as such, so no worries lol haven’t thought of cardboard, that’s an idea. I’ve considered creating a seat frame and covering it in actual cloth, or maybe a real thin vinyl. The seams and such could be difficult, though I suppose they could be cut into the frame (sheet styrene and putty to make the ‘foam’?). Could be something to try. I won’t mess with that for this build, but perhaps my ‘48 ford model coming up.

Seems like quite the undertaking, but not I'mpossible. Probably have better results with a larger scale. Tho larger is more expensive. Someday I'll own another 1/8 iroc. Wish I appreciated what I had when I had it.

• 3 weeks later...

Little progress. Still need to do shocks for the rear suspension, and then sway bars and steering. I’ll show what the rear looks like when that’s done. Here’s how it’ll sit, or similar anyways. And then I did the shifting linkage on the transmission, got bored one day and thought it would be fun. Didn’t do the shifter up, but that won’t be seen anyways. Also got the trunk cut out and the wing on, but needs work and hinging yet. 

2514F287-2F25-4FB8-85E6-E09B333672DF.jpeg

6D35E929-3AB7-43D0-8664-1140F5EA740E.jpeg

Final assembly for the rear suspension. All works. Not a lot of travel and it’s fairly stiff, but that’s how it should be right?Front is probably going to take a while. Also got steering done (technically incorrect for the car, but there’s a lot on here that’s ‘wrong’), that’ll be shown with the front suspension.

99A69716-ABD6-4E23-B686-798B7BC939FE.jpeg

06BDA8AA-C295-42B0-AA05-6EB85B91308A.jpeg

Got the front suspension together, but broke one of the steering pieces. Haven’t fixed it yet, so it isn’t on the car. However, I did get the interior done. Still needs door panels, and then parts on the body itself (a pillar trim and such), but this part is complete.

A8838DB5-9C0D-4F73-B23F-C1B638B033BD.jpeg

E49428E6-F49F-4FB6-A91B-7BCAA58868B1.jpeg

EBC59E2C-DD5A-4705-93B1-B096EF434051.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a little while, not a lot to show at the moment though. Motor is in and throttle linkage there, that’s about all I have to show for the moment. There are other things (fuel line, exhaust, stuff like that), but that’ll be shown later. That line coming from under the header is the clutch cable, it’ll get hooked up when the firewall is put in. Working on doors right now, getting them to stay shut with magnets. Hoping for nice weather this week and next weekend so I can get the body sprayed, we’ll see if I get there as planned.

47648C60-3B34-45DA-8A0F-3F01ACC9059A.jpeg

So, good news and bad news. Good news, I’m on track to have it painted over the next couple days. The car is in primer, gonna shoot the stripe color here shortly and probably base color tomorrow, followed by clear either tomorrow or Monday. The bad news is I had an unfortunate mishap where the model came between my phone and the floor. Broke both a pillars and the body half way under the passenger door. It’s fixed (or as much as it can be), but the passenger door doesn’t fit up right anymore and the exhaust hangs down in the front on both sides. I’ll try yet to fix the exhaust, but the door I think will be a permanent flaw in the car. The whole body is twisted.

Still needs a few things, namely brakes and door panels, but we’re pretty close. 

2089E46C-81EB-463C-9D11-1D7608A59339.jpeg

DCEE5429-B847-4DF9-8612-F6B35350FD0C.jpeg

3203932E-CCAA-4BF5-992A-21ADB7888A3B.jpeg

On 3/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, MeatMan said:

Sad to hear of your mishap. You've done some great fab work on that thing. Hope you get it sorted out.

Thanks, I think it’ll be alright.

Got it painted and cleared, first time I’ve used an airbrush. Turned out okay, considering all the issues I had. Going to have to buff it to at least reduce that orange peel a bit. Personally I think the stripes look a little goofy up front...but it is what it is at this point.

60A9CD4F-06C5-4A25-B449-2A458E3C0700.jpeg

8C6E81D1-C662-4971-8B64-8AA222EC6B9D.jpeg

Edited by THORDOOR220