Model Cars Magazine Forum

So...you think you have a stash????

I received this the other day from IPMS.  How the hell does anyone accumulate 13,000 models?

To all

We received an email regarding an estate sale with over 13,000 models.  This has been checked and is legit.

Please forward the link below to your chapters.  Modelers love a good deal and hopefully there are plenty here.

Dave

David Lockhart
IPMS/USA
Director of Local Chapters
678-620-8417

Robert , for me , ir was easy. I do dioramas and museum exhibition work. Every time I bid a job for a historical society , I did so with the intention of having many subjects to display alongside a given building . As with ANY movie I have been involved in . I had to find and build models of cars to fit within a given era . For example , in the movie love Field , I rented eight antique cars for a year to the production company . Meanwhile , I was friends with the transportation director who in turn rented at least five 1957 Chevrolet station wagons in various forms of running stages . It was also my job to acquire Suburbans with 4 wheel drive . Granted , we're talking 1-1 cars here . Still, I have several dioramas that have been on loan to various places here in the US . Models get broken . Since i don't have time to repair , I buy and build to replace . I know , I'm terrible ......

Crossroads Coffee house By Greg layton 10-20-2018 (2).jpg

I checked out the auction posted. It looks like all listing are sold. There were some good deals for the Air and Military crowd

I also did the math. 25 listing per page with and average 6 models per listing and 16 pages comes under 2,500  models. since some are boxes full of models, lets double it to 5,000. A sizable collection for sure but not 13,000.

Maybe there are more auctions to come. I'll keep checking back. I'm glad it was posted.

Edited by Scott Colmer

16 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

I checked out the auction posted. It looks like all listing are sold. There were some good deals for the Air and Military crowd

I also did the math. 25 listing per page with and average 6 models per listing and 16 pages comes under 2,500  models. since some are boxes full of models, lets double it to 5,000. A sizable collection for sure but not 13,000.

Maybe there are more auctions to come. I'll keep checking back. I'm glad it was posted.

They are auctioning off the collection in lots.  Supposed to be a lot more to come.  When I went to the site everything was already sold, maybe I'll get lucky later. 

Edited by El Roberto

I know a few people with collections of way more than 10,000 model car kits (I think they lost count), plus a couple of hundred built models. In most cases, they have the intention of building every kit, although it never happens. One person I know would go to his favourite hobby shop once a month and buy 3 or 4 dozen kits, often multiples of the same, like a case of 12 Revell '32 Fords. They are all gathering dust and not being built. When he dies, they will sell for a fraction of what he paid. He will never get his money back but he enjoys the shopping and collecting. 

My approach has been different lately. I have been selling off unbuilt kits and built models, then taking that money and spending it on other things, like a weekend at a car race or show. :) 

1 hour ago, Lunajammer said:

I know of one builder who appears to also be a compulsive model buyer, his wife may be his enabler. Every week he orders five or ten kits plus multiple supplies. To his credit, he builds quite a bit, but not at that rate.

That seems like some sort of hoarding disorder to me.

Some years ago in Los Angeles I had an insurance adjustor at my house (long story).  She was a nice young woman, and while we were looking at all the model kits in the garage,  I joked that sometimes I worried about turning into a (plastic) hoarder.

She said, "Nah, this is a collection, not a hoard.  You can trust me on that.  I've dealt with hoarders. They aren't nearly this organized."  She may have been a little biased.  A few minutes later she was eyeballing one stack and said, "My boyfriend builds models, and he really likes those Tamiya kits..."

For those of us who build more than car kits, the stash adds up fast.  My house has a "basement and a half."  The bigger basement is the workshop and storage for all the car kits, figures and accessories.  The half-basement is for military vehicles/figures/etc., aircraft, motorcycles, 1/32 scale cars and Miscellaneous Kits...like the 1/8 scale resin figure of Alfred Hitchcock.  I mean, how could I pass that up...?  But like the woman said, at least it's all organized.  More or less...

Edited by Mike999

14 hours ago, slusher said:

There is worse things to spend money on. As long as we own them they make us happy..

I have no idea how many models I have. I refuse to count. I have no disillusion of being able to build them all in my lifetime. I don't spend money needed for anything else.  But buying a few things at a show, or on eBay make me happy.   I enjoy owning them.  I'm not selling them off, the day I die it will be "GAME OVER" and my wife has a few numbers to call to dispose of it all.

Some of the reason for the model stash is if you find it you never know if we will find it again or at the price. Look at what happen with the Revell 30 model A kit. Some kits we are wishing for a reissue while others have them in thier stash. Same goes for certain supplies. I have a stress free world when working on a model, I am so pleased that I still have it...

16 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have no idea how many models I have. I refuse to count. I have no disillusion of being able to build them all in my lifetime. I don't spend money needed for anything else.  But buying a few things at a show, or on eBay make me happy.   I enjoy owning them.  I'm not selling them off, the day I die it will be "GAME OVER" and my wife has a few numbers to call to dispose of it all.

I enjoy owning them, too.  It may sound weird, but there are a lot of happy memories in that stash:  found this kit at the big Keller show in Orange County, CA.  Traded for that one with a nice guy on the MCM board.  Found those 2 in the back of a hobby/barber shop in Ft. Dodge, IA (that really happened).  Found those ESCI kits at a toy store in Saudi Arabia.  Snagged that rare kit at a flea market for a fraction of its real value.  Etc.

No counting here, either. I could do that, because I keep spread-sheets of models & accessories according to type and scale.  But that's to make sure I don't buy dupes (unless I want to).

When I get tired of some kits...or start running out of shelf space...I have an eBay sale (as I'm doing right now).  The money from eBay sales goes into a special account, which is used to...buy more models for the stash!

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Some of the reason for the model stash is if you find it you never know if we will find it again or at the price. Look at what happen with the Revell 30 model A kit. Some kits we are wishing for a reissue while others have them in thier stash. Same goes for certain supplies. I have a stress free world when working on a model, I am so pleased that I still have it...

100% agreed.

Some of the very few people who have seen my model area ask if it's a business. Only a couple are able to understand it's the same thing to me as having a warehouse/workshop full of vintage cars, old race-cars and hot-rods that I can work on and enjoy whenever the mood strikes, and having a VAST junkyard out behind the shop with non-rusty parts for just about anything I can imagine.

When I get closer to punching-out, I'll start thinking of how to best dispose of it all. In the meantime, sometimes just taking an old kit out and LOOKING at it is a great little change of pace from the daily stuff we all have to do.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

13 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I enjoy owning them, too.  It may sound weird, but there are a lot of happy memories in that stash:  found this kit at the big Keller show in Orange County, CA.  Traded for that one with a nice guy on the MCM board.  Found those 2 in the back of a hobby/barber shop in Ft. Dodge, IA (that really happened).  Found those ESCI kits at a toy store in Saudi Arabia.  Snagged that rare kit at a flea market for a fraction of its real value.  Etc.

No counting here, either. I could do that, because I keep spread-sheets of models & accessories according to type and scale.  But that's to make sure I don't buy dupes (unless I want to).

When I get tired of some kits...or start running out of shelf space...I have an eBay sale (as I'm doing right now).  The money from eBay sales goes into a special account, which is used to...buy more models for the stash!

Agreed. I have a lot of happy memories in my stash.  Then again, I come across model kits I swear I've never seen before!  :lol:

I am considering selling off some stuff that has value and I no longer am interested in for the same reason, to reinvest.  But I'm looking at a couple of high priced items for my stamp collection.

13 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

One of these years I need to catalog mine.  Half the time I don't remember what I have.  When we moved, I had to remove a lot of them from their boxes because of bugs, so they're just in freezer bags in bins in the closet.  

I need to catalog my parts that's what I forget what I have for certain builds...

• 3 months later...

I have around 400 in their original boxes and well over 100 or so in plastic sterlite bins, and another 50 or so in zip loc bags and as far as parts cars and parts bins and resin stuff... Oh boy, that's another story lol.I feel as long as your paying your bills and being responsible we deserve a little reward,I call it my retirement plan,most kits only increase in value, especially vintage kits,so I can build them or sell some later if I had too and still have plenty to do.This hobby is a blessing, something to look forward to and enjoy.

3 hours ago, MJStyline said:

I’m about to move across the country and I’m on the fence about what to sell/give away. I’m sure I can pare down the pile to 150 or so. 

Just at the end of that.  Donated and sold/traded a little over a hundred and fifty.  But, I still wound up moving about 700.  There is a lot of time to do that.  And packing and filtering what family goods to move took precedent.  So the ones I will yet likely unload got moved.  Looking at it as a new venue.

4 hours ago, MJStyline said:

I’m about to move across the country and I’m on the fence about what to sell/give away. I’m sure I can pare down the pile to 150 or so. 

I was actually thinking this the other night. The logistics of having to move my hobbies. Not only the model stash (admittedly, maybe a couple of hundred) but also my guitars. It's one thing to move down the street, but across country? Or what if we wanted to move overseas? I think we'll just stay here for a while!