Model Cars Magazine Forum

From A Porsche 962

Ich_Will

Submitted for your pleasure, another project I have on the bench. I’ve always loved the 956/962 so it was cool to snag this while on a business trip in upstate New York. I had originally painted it Tamiya Yellow but the coverage was poor and runny. I sanded and reshot it with Tamiya Camel Yellow. It’s better. Not perfect. Oh yellow, thou art a heartless color. 

4DBB1CD5-F8C9-4061-9EA4-D516000548D7.jpeg

D804812D-DD53-4576-B39A-416ABC137DD7.jpeg

Edited by Ich_Will
Correct numerous typos.

Hi William, I will ALWAYS follow a build of a 962 or 956... :wub:

Your yellow paint job is well done but indeed the yellow looks a bit dark. Which kind of primer did you use? When shooting my Nissan Fairlady in orange over grey primer, I found out that the primer color makes a heck of a difference, especially when it comes to body colors like yellow, orange, white... you name them.

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

VERY COOL!!!!……..am I the only one so far that understands that he PURPOSELY painted it a different yellow??!!  LOL!!!!…...it is HIS build after all.....

So true Dann..., I didn't mean to say he painted anything wrong, just wanted to give input for the builder to decide for himself.

I think the car will look very nice, whatever shade of yellow will be used!

1 hour ago, Dann Tier said:

am I the only one so far that understands that he PURPOSELY painted it a different yellow??!! 

Maybe Dann you're the ONLY ONE who understands it like that? :P I guess he went for another yellow because the first one gave a bad coverage, not necessarily because he wanted a darker one... You know with models of racing cars, there's the need for a certain degree of accuracy. This is a certain livery and a certain kind of yellow finish will have to go with that, I suppose. It doesn't mean he picked the wrong yellow color, but maybe he should go for another primer color.

That said, it is of course Will's decision whether to go for this or any other kind of color... :rolleyes:

LOL Thanks guys. I think the first yellow was a better match, but the coverage was garbage. It was over white primer. I know the Camel is too dark but I kinda dig the color so it's staying.  I understand the desire for accuracy but yellow is one of those colors that I either love or hate. Camel = Love, Prius yellow = love, Audi Imola yellow = love, until it fades... I guess I like egg yoke yellows. 

6 hours ago, matthijsgrit said:

So true Dann..., I didn't mean to say he painted anything wrong, just wanted to give input for the builder to decide for himself.

I think the car will look very nice, whatever shade of yellow will be used!

I know you weren't!, that's why I put; "LOL" with my post....it was just a funny reoccurrence...lol

6 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Maybe Dann you're the ONLY ONE who understands it like that? :P I guess he went for another yellow because the first one gave a bad coverage, not necessarily because he wanted a darker one... You know with models of racing cars, there's the need for a certain degree of accuracy. This is a certain livery and a certain kind of yellow finish will have to go with that, I suppose. It doesn't mean he picked the wrong yellow color, but maybe he should go for another primer color.

That said, it is of course Will's decision whether to go for this or any other kind of color... :rolleyes:

I must be, Tommy, lol, again, I WASNT taking jabs at you or anybody else, it was just funny, hence my; "LOL" in the post. What I meant by; "Purposely", was that instead of trying another time, or another manufacturer of that kolor, he purposely chose to totally change the kolor…….that's all, LOL  -Its a good thing I don't do racing cars, everybody would HATE them LOL.....I do whatever kolor I feel like at the time....lol

2 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

LOL Thanks guys. I think the first yellow was a better match, but the coverage was garbage. It was over white primer. I know the Camel is too dark but I kinda dig the color so it's staying.  I understand the desire for accuracy but yellow is one of those colors that I either love or hate. Camel = Love, Prius yellow = love, Audi Imola yellow = love, until it fades... I guess I like egg yoke yellows. 

LOL, keep up the great work, bud!!!

17 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I do whatever kolor I feel like at the time....lol

You can surely do that on a race car, but then you'll have to leave the livery, I guess. ;) Imho some race cars actually look much better painted in regular color only, example, see the Porsche 911 GT3R which has recently been added to the gallery...

I'm thinking of this one: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/136289-fujimi-911-gt3r/

Edited by Tommy124

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

NICE!!!, I have a 917 that i'm gonna do as a street car as well!!...LOL....SACRALIGE!!!

It's been done - at least twice. Count Rossi, the guy who sponsored the Martini & Rossi Porsche teams, had one in the 70's, and apparently another has been licensed in Monaco. Google "Rossi street 917" for more details.

Edited by SSNJim

17 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

I am curious Will as to how you dealt with the standard fins that were part of Hasagawa's 962 body. Did you use a Dremel type tool to grind them off? Or was it slice and file smooth? They look just right!

I just went at it with a brand new xacto. Scored it from the inside about 6 times and finished it off with some sand paper. It worked surprisingly well. 

4 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

Thanks Will. It looks great. Mine languishes in a box. I really need to get back at it. I don't believe my "yellow" is correct either. LOL It is a 50/50 blend of Mr. Color Yellow and Orange.

Finish it up! Feel free to post pics on here. We can inspire each other as we go... 2 Bills building 962s. 

16 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

I have th CLK GTR kit I’m going to do as a street car. 

13 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

NICE!!!, I have a 917 that i'm gonna do as a street car as well!!...LOL....SACRALIGE!!!

Yes, and I'll do a Porsche 911 GT1 in plain white because I don't like the race liveries... That said, there HAVE been road versions of the CLK GTR and the 911 GT1, so no problem anyways.

And I feel that's the big freedom of being a CAR model builder. We can paint a Ferrari F40 in pink if we like, whereas doing a pink Messerschmidt Me-109 or battleship might seem odd... :huh::D