Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flintstone Flyer Too....x3

64SS350

Started building these in the winter, decided to get back into it. I am building, per request, three of the Studebakers for my friend who owns the car. Started with resin kits that required a lot of wall thinning and block sanding.

I will be trying a couple different chassis to see which one I like best, depending on work required for each. So far starting with the Revell 55 Chevy. Other possibilities are a resin version with exhaust already deleted or a 57 Nomad chassis.

I'm sure some have already built these, including the Outlaw Speedshop on You Tube, but I was asked to do them and decided to share the progress.

IMG_3076.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

This should be fun to watch. I remember when a lot of magazines were doing write ups and printing pictures of this car. The fact that it was not the normal mainstream body style of the time made it that much more interesting. The name and the body color also made it really stand out. 

As I was told,he chose the Stude because everyone was racing the Willys.

The Lark is the same wheelbase as the Willys.

Also, before anyone says anything, I know the disc brakes are not period correct, but I wanted them to show better. If he doesn't like them, I may have to change them to drum

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, matthijsgrit said:

If the wheelbases are the same, would the Willys chassis be an option then or is it too different from the Stude's chassis?

I like projects that are different! Looking forward to following your progress.

I found the Willys chassis to be too different and the ones given to me to use for that purpose are 1/25, where the bodies are in1/24.

Finally got wheels and backs done, had a few issues to overcome. Mocked up the stance with finished wheels.

Now getting springs and axles to work out. Would like to find a better set than the 55 kit, tinkering with making some.

IMG_20181104_155721044.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I will paint front suspension then add the u bolts.

It turned out a shade higher than I wanted, may try to lower front a bit.

Thanks again to the builders on here who challenge my abilities, doing alot that I normally wouldn't tackle.

Also, lowering this bench and the new chair make building much more enjoyable!

Thanks for looking!

Edited by 64SS350

• 4 weeks later...

At least the last two ..should... be a bit quicker, since most of the kinks will be worked out and parts will be prefabbed.

Also discovered the interior tub supplied is not for the Stude, will have to move door lines at minimum.

And thanks for looking!