Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the Moebius 65 Belvedere1 an easy kit like the Lindberg 64 Dodge 330 sedan, build wise

moparfarmer

There is an article in the current issue of the other model car magazine on assembling the A990 version of the Moebius 1965 Belvedere.  I think you'll find it relevant and helpful for your article.  Also check their website for an update posted there (scroll down on the homepage) as some of the key information omitted from the magazine article is provided there.  

Good luck...I think you'll enjoy the kit...TIM  

For some reason this particular series seems a cut above the rest of the Moebius car line in detail crispness and mold finishing.  Even with the little crown at the top of the windshield - and still more accurate overall than the Lindberg 330s -  this and the Satellite are far and away my favorite Moebius kits.

Can't speak for the entire model yet, but my interior and engine bay press-fit/tape trials are very positive and clean.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, tim boyd said:

There is an article in the current issue of the other model car magazine on assembling the A990 version of the Moebius 1965 Belvedere.  I think you'll find it relevant and helpful for your article.  Also check their website for an update posted there (scroll down on the homepage) as some of the key information omitted from the magazine article is provided there.  

Good luck...I think you'll enjoy the kit...TIM  

Tim, you mentioned in the article that the kits contains 2 sets of headers. I just received my copy of the Melrose Missle and it only contains the factory headers. no aftermarket. The instructions don't show the aftermarket headers either. Is it possible that only some versions have them? 

13 hours ago, AAFC said:

Tim, you mentioned in the article that the kits contains 2 sets of headers. I just received my copy of the Melrose Missle and it only contains the factory headers. no aftermarket. The instructions don't show the aftermarket headers either. Is it possible that only some versions have them? 

I know the second set of headers are not shown in the instruction sheet, but I recall seeing them hiding among the parts sprues.  I bought one of the kits when it first came out; perhaps there was a running change.  But I'd be interested to hear if after a second, close look, they show up somewhere in your kit.  Or not.   Thanks.... TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

12 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I know the second set of headers are not shown in the instruction sheet, but I recall seeing them hiding among the parts sprues.  I bought one of the kits when it first came out; perhaps there was a running change.  But I'd be interested to hear if after a second, close look, they show up somewhere in your kit.  Or not.   Thanks.... TIM 

After further review, nothing. Any suggestions on a kit bash possibility? I am really not impressed with the factory headers.

12 hours ago, AAFC said:

After further review, nothing. Any suggestions on a kit bash possibility? I am really not impressed with the factory headers.

James....OK, at this point I am thoroughly stumped. 

After your feedback, I thought that maybe I confused the contents of this kit with the "stock" (really street machine) version of the Belvedere 1 kit, but I don't see those headers in my box of that kit either.  So I looked through all the other kits based on this tool and nothing there, either.  I even looked at a test shot of the tool I have from three years ago.  Nada.  On the other hand the second set of headers I ended using didn't materialize out of thin air, either.

I only have one more kit of the California Flash kits and that one is sealed; I'm hesitant to break the seal and look inside due to the (already) rarity of the kit.  Plus I bought it much later than the first kit; if there was some type of running change it wouldn't have the parts.     

Anyone reading this thread who has an early production sample of the California Flash kit, as well as anyone who has the Belvedere 1 kit, can you guys check your parts trees closely and see if the headers I used show up on a parts tree? 

Thanks....TIM

DSC 0670

Just looked at the Belvedere 1 kit that I have had since they were released. The only Exhaust Manifolds in this kit are the factory high flow cast iron type. The Exhaust Pipes have the Cut-Outs in the pipes before the Mufflers. 

Tim, 

Your not loosing your mind, there are actually three styles of headers tooled up for the various Moebius 65 Plymouth kits.  I searched through my test shots and found the following ...

Part #'s 106,107,108 &109 have a short collector and would be inserted on the tree with the fan blade, oil pan and carb parts.

Part #'s 124,125,126 &127 have a long collector and would be inserted on the same tree.  I believe these are for the yet to be release AFX car. 

Part #'s 161, 162,163 & 164 have a blocked collector and connect to an exhaust pipe and muffler part #160. These are on a separate tree for the Melrose Missile / Golden Commandos kit and may be in the California Flash kit too.  

If so, then I believe it's the California Flash kit that has two sets of header, my kit is still sealed too.  Maybe someone else has already cracked theirs open and will check. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Roncla said:

This is my California Flash.....

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

Bingo!  Thought I was going crazy there for a minute. 

The second set of (mystery) headers are in the first picture above, on the far right side of the top parts tree.   

Thanks Ron...….and James, I hope this is the answer you were seeking.  

TIM 

11 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The second set of (mystery) headers are in the first picture above, on the far right side of the top parts tree.   

TIM 

FYI those are the short collector headers which now have revised part #'s 124A - 127A.   It will be interesting to see what will be included with the AFX kit assuming that's still a go for next year.  Here's what the long collector headers look like on my AFX build up.  

-Steve

2v29o77pexvL75L.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, tim boyd said:

TIM 

Yes, it was the answer and what I was afraid of-that the second set of headers weren't included in all versions. The Melrose Missile doesn't have that whole section containing the headers on the top tree. Well, I'll have to start my parts box search for replacements that will work.

With the different type of plastic does the liquid quick drying/welding glues work and does Duplicolor primer and paint work like the older plastic of the 64 Lindberg kits..This plastic looks brittle and lighter color..Does it all work the same..Looking forward to getting into this car..Going to be a light tan with Champagne metallic interior with semi gloss clear and steel wheels in factory color like the 64 Dodge I will show..Thanks for your help everyone..

1964 Dodge #5 March 25,2018.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 9:16 AM, SteveG said:

FYI those are the short collector headers which now have revised part #'s 124A - 127A.   It will be interesting to see what will be included with the AFX kit assuming that's still a go for next year.  Here's what the long collector headers look like on my AFX build up.  

-Steve

2v29o77pexvL75L.jpg

I sure hope you're not the only one who will ever get to build one of those! I don't see what the hold up is? It's been almost 2 years!!

1 hour ago, Dave Toups said:

I sure hope you're not the only one who will ever get to build one of those! I don't see what the hold up is? It's been almost 2 years!!

Last I heard is they were working on getting licensing from one of the race teams.  Right now the decisions on if and or when to run this lands of the new owner, which is Larry at Pegasus.  It didn't take too many angry emails to get him to change the box art on the 70 F100 4x4's, so take it from there guys …..

FWIW, the first two versions of the 65-66 F100's are due early next month and the Nicholson A/FX Comet shortly after that.  That's small progress anyway, don't know what's coming after that.  

Steve