Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which kit is it?

Classicgas

I think that looks like the new tool '57 Bel Air. Check and see if this kit has an opening trunk lid. That would be a very good sign that it is from the new tool. The new tooling was also offered with the option of a duel four barrel engine with the "Bat Wing" Air cleaner. The Convertible version also had the Fuel Injection engine as an option. 

Agree, modern. For me, the "Molded in Red" is a dead giveaway. In the last few years, AMT has been molding certain hobbyist oriented kits in both white and a color, and labeling the boxes as appropriate. I've seen the 70-1/2 Camaro in white and orange, the 1984 GMC pickup in black and white, the 1965 Grand Prix in white and green, and they all have similar labels. Before that, you got whatever color was in the box - sometimes the box would say molded in whatever color, but that was the only choice.

3 hours ago, espo said:

I think that looks like the new tool '57 Bel Air. Check and see if this kit has an opening trunk lid. That would be a very good sign that it is from the new tool. The new tooling was also offered with the option of a duel four barrel engine with the "Bat Wing" Air cleaner. The Convertible version also had the Fuel Injection engine as an option. 

I don't think AMT did a convertible.  Revell did the convertible and it uses a 283 FI engine.

Thanks guys. I was thinking so. Has anyone bought this issue? The photo shows bumper guards. I have the very first issue of this, and it does not have them. I am wondering did they tool them up? This issue supposedly has new parts.

Edited by Classicgas

You still may want to contact the seller and ask about the opening trunk.  It looks to me like the box cover is a 1:1, none of the 57's I know of had poseable front wheels.  Just because it is molded in color, does not necessarily mean it is a new tool.  Not trying to be confrontational, just want to be sure you know what you are getting.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, SSNJim said:

Agree, modern. For me, the "Molded in Red" is a dead giveaway. In the last few years, AMT has been molding certain hobbyist oriented kits in both white and a color, and labeling the boxes as appropriate. I've seen the 70-1/2 Camaro in white and orange, the 1984 GMC pickup in black and white, the 1965 Grand Prix in white and green, and they all have similar labels. Before that, you got whatever color was in the box - sometimes the box would say molded in whatever color, but that was the only choice.

Also the Chevy Rescue Van (red or white) and the '40 Ford Art Box issue (orange or white).  The one hobby shop in this area still has both of those gathering dust on the shelves, but the molded-in-color versions only.  No molded-in-white versions.  And the '57 Chevy is definitely the modern 1990s tool, with opening trunk.  I have one. Molded in white.

People who've tried it say the photo-etch parts in that kit, like the grille, will fit the Revell '57 Chevies perfectly.  I think one of the model-car magazines mentioned that. 

Why not go right to the source first?:

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/amt988.htm

If it has an opening trunk, it's the modern era tooling version, period.

Round2 should be more careful regarding the images they choose for box art when using an image of a real vehicle, as in this particular case, the real vehicle doesn't accurately represent the model's features. However, that can be avoided by looking at other releases of the same kit, such as the below version, which shows a built model:

AMT-31543-2.jpg.3603a44dbdaaf73de23baf661b5a2333.jpg

One can also look online at instruction sheets, open versions of the kit on eBay, etc. to find out exactly which parts are or are not included.

Edited by Casey

I've got the early 90's release of the '57 Bel Air Sport Coupe molded in a dark tan color. I'm assuming it's based on a much earlier release. I picked the car culture version up at Ollie's for $9.99! Great looking kit. Comes with photoetch parts, wire to simulate plug wires and a small sheet of BMF. WHAT A DEAL! I'd recommend going on Facebook and finding the Ollie's buy/sell/trade/show page and try to trade for one. 

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Why not go right to the source first?:

https://www.autoworldstore.com/product-p/amt988.htm

If it has an opening trunk, it's the modern era tooling version, period.

Round2 should be more careful regarding the images they choose for box art when using an image of a real vehicle, as in this particular case, the real vehicle doesn't accurately represent the model's features. However, that can be avoided by looking at other releases of the same kit, such as the below version, which shows a built model:

AMT-31543-2.jpg.3603a44dbdaaf73de23baf661b5a2333.jpg

One can also look online at instruction sheets, open versions of the kit on eBay, etc. to find out exactly which parts are or are not included.

You can tell just by the sharp angle in the side trim that this is the original '57, not the more modern tool. 

I have the Car Culture kit too. I really like this kit except the way the stock wheels fit in the whitewall inserts, something just don't look right to me. I'll probably use a different wheel/tire combo anyway, I never cared much for the stock 57 Chevy wheel covers.

What's the best way to remove the ribs from the side trim without damaging the chrome around it?

On 10/29/2018 at 1:05 PM, Againmikewins said:

Here are some comparison photos. Sorry for the arrangement of them, my fotki account expired and it's difficult to upload from my phone as I've got no storage available on my mcm forum account. 

D5DB1C3D-4C2B-4101-A0E8-72F1EAAFE799.jpeg

BAA30C3A-1E0A-4569-8005-3553EB9CFA77.jpeg

The side trim on the new tool 57 is light years more accurate than the old tool.