Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Speed '53 Studebaker

The old AMT 'Mr. Speed' Stude kit has always been a favorite of mine, probably from looking at pictures of the box art in the Auto World catalog as a kid. The rear engine version has been long out of production and commands stoopid money  ($300.00!!!) on auction sites. Luckily, with the recent reissiue of the Stude with the old decals being reproduced, and the availability of the Piranha kit, a reproduction is possible. So, I figured if I can't get my hands on the original kit I can at least build a replica of it.... 

Here's the original box art....

s-l500.jpg.1f32ea9f39fa910d73b9ff6471793d47.jpg

with the parts....

5bd5cd8e4f48c_s-l500(1).jpg.a127aea650144846d4839615bf111edd.jpg

I started working on the body, chopped the top, glued on all of the 'delete' panels, sprayed it Testors One-Hit Emerald green and added decals....clear coat will be added....

5bd5ce350ce14_pic3.thumb.jpg.a7b558ec1e210d4677db71fedef5fa66.jpg

Thanks for looking.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

How Funny is this ,I was just looking at doing this very same kit just the other day the only three parts missing are the body prop up witch glues to the backend of the Piranha frame ,and the two pivots that go to the body of the car .I'll be watch this build .

Edited by Mr mopar

9 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

Thank you Gerald ,I was just going to post this ....LOL

Gerald-

Thanks for posting this. I was unaware of these parts, so I guess, technically, one can't fully duplicate the Mr. Speed kit fully with available parts. I was wondering if there was some mechanism for hoisting/hingeing the body. I will make a similar setup.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

1 hour ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I was wondering if there was some mechanism for hoisting/hingeing the body. I will make a similar setup.... -RRR

My plan was to use the body mount rings and chassis end post from a Revell Miss Deal Studebaker kit (or hollow out the AMT stock Studebaker headlight rings and use a long rod cut from a parts tree)

Edited by magicmustang

• 2 years later...

The painted body was left in a box wrapped in a paper towel. Bad decision....

nnjnjn.thumb.jpg.e572ad15dda71cd2de3e19a7f0fe41c9.jpg

I tried to wet sand it, but that wasn't going to work....I thought about starting with a fresh body, but that seemed like a lot of unnecessary work......

yvyubv.thumb.jpg.4cf94db0ca6569143fba3c615f276504.jpg

So, I stripped off the paint. Now on to filling in the seams, while I await a new can of spray paint arrives...

In the meantime I got busy preparing the Piranha frame and engine parts. There's lots of flash and much sanding was required...

iuivbrvhb.thumb.jpg.cff0ebedb85acfc989e70fcb39195c47.jpg

I'm not sure about the original headers and I am looking a few options. Any ideas? -RRR

Awful accident with the body! Last bad thing I did was finishing the Chezoom Corvair funny, reached for a can of clear, was in a hurry, and grabbed a can of white primer by mistake...destroyed a beautiful paint and decal job. Now my friends never let me forget it, "Dave- look out for the primer!" Sheesh.

Hope you finish it, there are far too few of us that built this kit.

DSC03283.JPG

Hey Rodney,  

Sorry about the paint problems. I had the same thing happen with a Tamyia pot painted T'rantula that was stored for a move. The paper towel stuck right to it. I hope you stick it out. I am really looking forward to seeing you complete this one.

About the headers....Here is what the Scorpion version of the Piranha make over did. They went down and under the chassis. I didn't use them and made my own out of aluminum and plastic. I'm sorry I could not find the originals. I know I cut at least one up for a gauge can. I would have sent you one to copy. I can keep looking if you think it would help. 

Always a fan,

Scott

IMG_2821-vi.jpg

20 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Hey Rodney,  

Sorry about the paint problems. I had the same thing happen with a Tamyia pot painted T'rantula that was stored for a move. The paper towel stuck right to it. I hope you stick it out. I am really looking forward to seeing you complete this one.

About the headers....Here is what the Scorpion version of the Piranha make over did. They went down and under the chassis. I didn't use them and made my own out of aluminum and plastic. I'm sorry I could not find the originals. I know I cut at least one up for a gauge can. I would have sent you one to copy. I can keep looking if you think it would help. 

Always a fan,

Scott

IMG_2821-vi.jpg

Thanks, Scott. I was unaware of the 'Scorpion' body version of this chassis. I have (at least for now) decided to use the Studebaker headers cut apart and glued on to the Piranha flange. Here's where I am as of now. I temporarily attached the engine to the frame. I need to determine final header tube length. I prepped the body and shot it with an initial coat of primer. Some work is still needed on the body.... -RRR

oisfponpdfn.jpg

I got the body painted (Testors One-Hit Emerald Mist decanted and shot through my airbrush) and decals on....clear coat will sprayed on later....

yboh.thumb.jpg.dd460ab29dd6b4c50153374933825138.jpgiunionobn.thumb.jpg.16c2b70ae001cbb2f1b52a93df20f19e.jpg

I started in on the frame. Paint is Tamiya gloss black. The panels are Bare Metal Foil Matt Aluminum....slow going, taking my time, but it seems to be working fairly well, a few blemishes touched up with a Molotow chrome pen....

uiiui09h89.thumb.jpg.182427411d1e877eb992b8a72ffb3aac.jpgophphhuo.thumb.jpg.a41b3c5c037e16f4ff5ca447f93454fc.jpg

Thanks for looking....more as work progresses... -RRR

The Bare Metal foil is a clever solution to the frame tin. I will be putting a rear engined 27 T body on my Piranha frame , shades of Ol'Noisy, the Speed Sport Special and will be sure to borrow that trick!

They say that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger but I don't know, that paint snafu would have hurt a lot.  Unfortunately you do not belong to a very unique club! My last coat of clear on a Candy Apple green Aurora 34 coupe turned out to be gold........

And did you know that if you try to polish a minor paint blemish on a glossy black Deuce, with Tamiya Filler Putty instead of Tamiya Polishing Compound, it does the blemish no good at all???? Sigh.

If you want to get those headers right out to the sides of the body, what about the ones in Monogram Snake/Mongoose kits? They go under the frame.  Revell Buttera funnycar kits over the frame could bridge the distance as well.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton