Model Cars Magazine Forum

#1 , 1970 Dodge Challenger

Super28

• 2 months later...

Ok, Figured out the picture problem! The Challenger I sprayed with de-canned Testor's "Plumb Crazy" purple enamel. When I put the clear, (Rustoleum) enamel to it , it "peeled" like crazy. Had to wipe it down with Acetone. (Purple Power won't touch it with clear coat on it. ). Have to figure out what went wrong. Meanwhile , put it up for now ,while it's still in one piece until later. On to #2, 1962 T-bird

Picture 1, Peeled

Picture 2) Won't fit in Acetone can (LOL)

Picture 3) Stripped back down

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Some days...right?  I was digging that third pic above, the stained plastic had a real "barn find" weathered appearance that you couldn't easily achieve if you actually wanted to!

Didn't notice, but you're right. Hard way to get that look. LOL

• 2 months later...

Nope, dulled out and got rough. Decided that maybe there was too much stripping and repainting so I bought a new 1970 Challenger to paint. This time instead of decanted Testor's Plum Crazy enamel I went with Gravity lacquer . Nope , same thing! What is going on??? Stripping them both down again and going to retry! One on the left is Testor's decanted enamel and one on right is Gravity lacquer . Any ideas? Oh, both had two coats of clear enamel from a rattle can. Never had this problem  before.

challenger.thumb.jpg.dfd8c4f2d916541a534a9c6aeaed7a4a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 12:29 AM, moparfarmer said:

Could be maybe something with your brand of primer not being compatable with the paints or plactic from across the sea..

I use only Tamiya rattle can primer. Regular primer is too thick for me

Ok. Dumped it in the "Purple Pond", (Purple Power cleaner), over night. Going to use a q-tip and lacquer thinner to clear it up the rest of the way. Sand it down, primer it, scuff the primer and try painting it again! Going with "Plum Crazy" from Galaxy paint. See what happens! (But not right now)

20190801_164109.jpg

You're probably going to have to rethink your material combinations.

I doubt very highly that you are going to have any success spraying Rustoleum over Testors enamel.

Not all enamels are created equally and if the Rustoleum is anything like most other "home improvement store" enamels, it's way too hot to go over Testors enamel.

You also need to take into consideration that Testors enamel takes a month of Sundays to cure, so spraying anything over it without giving it a vast amount of time to cure will likely result in failure.

Personally, I would dump the Rustoleum clear altogether.

If I may make a suggestion, dump the Testors enamel and get some Testors "2 stage lacquer".

They do carry Plum Crazy in lacquer form.

It will cure in a fraction of the time and you can spray some Testors clear lacquer over it after a short period of time.

For that matter, you will likely have much better luck spraying Testors clear lacquer over the enamel as well.

Testora clear lacquers a very mild and they won't generally damage any paint that you spray them over.

Just a couple more pointers.

1. Dump the Purple Power and get some Super Clean.

I guarantee you it will remove this paint if you give it time to work

2. Never, and I mean NEVER soak styrene plastic in acetone!

You will be left with a hand full of goo!

I realize that you are joking about this, but we don't want any novices to get the impression that this is okay. ;)

Lacquer thinner?........not a good idea either!

As a matter of fact, be warned that acetone is very hard on styrene plastic and it WILL make the plastic brittle and prone to basically falling apart, especially with this many applications.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Steve. thanks, Yeah, I was kidding about the acetone. i did that to a '49 Ford body. Kept it as a reminder of what acetone does. I prefer lacquer myself because of the drying time. I'm going to use tamyia Primer to seal the body, and it doesn't seem to be as thick as other primers. Going to take my time and paint it when i get ready and feel like it.

PS. Whats the cost of super clean and where do you get it?

Edited by Super28

1 hour ago, Super28 said:

PS. Whats the cost of super clean and where do you get it?

About the same as Purple Power.

They are basically the same stuff but Super Clean contains more of the active ingredients making it much more efficient for stripping.

You can pick it up at many auto parts stores, (I get mine at O-Reilly's auto parts) but I believe Walmart carries it, or you can always get it on line.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's raining here in Florida. Can't do any painting so I thought I'd work on some things. First, i realized the mirrors for the Challenger have to be painted. A tip I got somewhere, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the mirror and glue a piece of small wire in the hole. Use my clips to hold the mirrors while I paint them . When I go to put them on the car I will cut the wires off leaving just a small piece on the bottom of the mirrors. I'll drill a small hole in the door of the Challenger , where I want the mirrors. The wire will keep them from moving, sliding or falling off!20190817_170039.thumb.jpg.85c5df3fe579cf309b4b86950535e9a6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...