Model Cars Magazine Forum

New to the forum

Dave G.

Hello from SE New England ! Been around modeling since the 1950's but got away from cars since the mid 70's ( it was my major pastime growing up and into young adulthood but with kids and so on went with trains and radio control aircraft for a time and then dropped out for a bit). My wife said I had some old kits in storage and maybe I'd like to put those together. One is a Revell 69 Mustang Super Cobrajet gifted to me in the 80's. Another is a Revell 26T street rod T delivery sedan still sealed never opened, don't even recall where it came from and not sure I'll build this one but am about half done with the Mustang. Someplace around here is a larger scale Stutz Bearcat kit which we have not located yet. I was going to start with that one actually but it didn't go that way.

Well anyway, as I said hello ! Good to be airbrushing parts etc but funny working with acrylics. I have my old Badger 200 that I upgraded to the more modern nozzles and also a Paasche H with three tips and needles, color cup and bottles. I  also do wood turning and the H was used for Christmas ornament decorating and gloss coating. I find it to work well for primer and clear coating on this Mustang. I used the 200 on the smaller parts and interior though. Also blackening the grill, got right in there with the small nozzle.

Have a great day !

Dave G.

56 minutes ago, Rider said:

Welcome aboard and back into the Hoddy. . Which acrylics are you using? Some are fickle some are a dream. 

I'm using a bunch of different ones.I find most stick well as long as I use the Stynyrez primer from Badger on the plastic and scuff the plastic first. Probably Liquitex soft body bonds best but I haven't had much trouble with FolkArt either and they have a ton of colors to choose from. The key is thinning,  primer coat and sealing. Most anything can be sandwiched between the primer and sealer as long as it's compatible and sprays on smooth.. I'm using stynyrez primers, I find this to bond pretty decently to scuffed plastic, then any acrylic paint pretty much bonds to that primer. Top Coat this time was clear lacquer but next time I think I'm going with Liquitex Gloss varnish, it sprays on like warm butter on hot toast and requires very little buffing. I was using the satin in this stuff for my wife's ceramics, it mixes in with acrylics to make various sheens but is also a top coat. In her case we used it to seal and protect but it's a dream to spray. I just recently got a bottle in gloss,. I use Micheals rewards cards and get 40 or 50% off coupons  and that is when I buy these more expensive Liquitex finishes and additives. Liquitex products are made to airbrushed, all but the heavy body airbrush very smoothly and bond well. And the additives can be used in other acrylic paints.

I could go on and on talking about paints so I'll stop there lol !

Edited by Dave G.
corrected spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Kind of a "newbie" myself but I found out in a hurry this group of builders are probably the best you'll find. Lots of inspiration, great ideas and tips....all around the place to hang out!

Hope your experience is the same, and again, welcome ?

Edited by carmad1957
Missed spelling