Model Cars Magazine Forum

Putting the '78 Corvette on the backburner while I sort out interior.Update 11/17/18.

Dragonhawk1066

Going to put the 1978 Corvette away for now due to not being happy with the interior colors. The light ivory I used looks too cream colored and the Beige is a little too dark for what I had in mind. DSCN2860.thumb.JPG.65689a36fe4c1cec1872ea78bf399e2f.JPGDSCN2863.thumb.JPG.8fb770cff95be8babc6cbd98a8ecad99.JPG

This is what I am after.5bd71c816f9e7_corvetteoysterinterior.jpg.b71a0c599a3f2bbc1bdefeec54fcc5ab.jpg

Just isn't quite the color combo I was hoping for.DSCN2865.thumb.JPG.ae84ca7ea6baf072d951ca8d3da043b8.JPG

The beige that I initially used for the '78's interior tub will however be perfect for the seats for my 1962 Corvette, so I will probably divert my attention to that one until I can find or mix the proper shades for the '78.DSCN2766.thumb.JPG.7c99b0edeeb7680bc6a8808fa6de3d0a.JPG

Don't give up. The colors look more like a Grey and an Off White. I am a big fan of the late 70's to 82 Corvette, my father was a Corvette restorer. The dash and other parts are almost a pure white and the carpet is way more grey than tan.

Just don't give up, it looks like a good build so far.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Don't give up. The colors look more like a Grey and an Off White. I am a big fan of the late 70's to 82 Corvette, my father was a Corvette restorer. The dash and other parts are almost a pure white and the carpet is way more grey than tan.

Just don't give up, it looks like a good build so far.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Definitely not giving up as I'm anxious to see how it will turn out when done B). I'm just going to put it away for a month or two until I hopefully have the means to replicate the factory colors more closely either by mixing or by buying the proper shades. My other alternative was to do the interior in black and be able to finish the model right away, but I really fancy the oyster color combo so I'll wait :).

16 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

I’ve never seen a 78 Corvette with that color interior before. It’s beautiful! I hope you nail it down. ??

You should see the 1982 Silver Corvette interiors. My dream Corvette. The leather was several tones of Silver and Silver-Beige. 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette was all Silver. 

image.png.9c280c0f8f2e9b1c81dc0324714c8435.png

• Dragonhawk1066 changed the title to Putting the '78 Corvette on the backburner while I sort out interior.Update 11/17/18.

Well I mixed up a couple of batches of paint for the '78 Corvette's interior so I decided to put it back on the workbench. The carpet color is off a bit but I am very happy otherwise. I think it looks much better than my first attempt. The only problem is that my mixture is fighting me consistency wise. I'm using Model Master enamels and it's becoming thick and pasty even after mixing in some thinner already. Hopefully I can smooth it out for final touch-up because it's a bit rough right now. Also got the badge decals on. Last pic is interior of real car I was aiming for(not mine).

DSCN2872.JPG

DSCN2873.JPG

DSCN2874.JPG

DSCN2879.JPG

DSCN2878.JPG

corvette oyster interior.jpg

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

On 10/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, Oldmopars said:

You should see the 1982 Silver Corvette interiors. My dream Corvette. The leather was several tones of Silver and Silver-Beige. 1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette was all Silver. 

Were all the '78 Anniversary interiors silver? I have a promo to restore and am not looking forward to doing a silver interior. Was black also available? 

Only the Pace Cars had silver interiors, the Silver Anniversary Corvettes had an interior in oyster grey, burgundy, red, dark blue or black.

BTW - the contour seats shown above were available in 78 only on the Pace Car editions, and from 79 onward. 78 regular and SA Vettes had the same seats which were flatter and less contoured.

78 Pace Car...

9.jpg

78 Silver Anniversary...

corvette-25th-anniversary-78-25th-silver-anniversary-silver-two-tone-6.thumb.JPG.2bb95297a3d08ea65cd0aaf1e0615f62.JPG

So for the Revell/Monogram Pace Car kit, with the seats it comes with, you can only build it as a 78 Pace Car. However, it can be built as a 79 Corvette with no changes.

Edited by Oldcarfan27

8 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

So for the Revell/Monogram Pace Car kit, with the seats it comes with, you can only build it as a 78 Pace Car. However, it can be built as a 79 Corvette with no changes.

Pretty much what I am going for is a '79 Corvette with the '78 Pace Car kit. As far as I can tell there is no real discernible difference in the two years but I am labeling the build as a '78 simply because that is the year of the car as shown on the kit box. I love the Pace Cars but didn't really want to build it as such at this time (I will certainly look to do one in the future) as I have always liked the dark blue/oyster interior color combo so I decided to go that route for this build.

7 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Why did you paint the interior gloss color? The pictures of the real car show a satin finish. The body looks very nice.

I honestly hadn't spotted that difference until seeing your post, so definitely thanks for bringing that to my attention so I can try to correct it.  I do have an older (probably from the 90's) unused can of dullcote that I am contemplating using, but I have to test spray it first so as to not ruin the interior if it doesn't turn out. It's currently struggling to get higher than 30 degrees where I live so it might be a bit before I can try it as I have to spray outside. If not, I will be fine with how it currently looks. 

And thank you, I am very pleased with how the body turned out. The Tamiya sprays really go on nicely.

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Only the Pace Cars had silver interiors, the Silver Anniversary Corvettes had an interior in oyster grey, burgundy, red, dark blue or black.

Good to know, thanks! So it looks like I can do that promo interior in black, which should look sharp with the silver and gray paint. B)