Model Cars Magazine Forum

no problem Dan. the radiator supports are too high making the hood run uphill to the grille as seen in the profile picture. so I trimmed them off lowering the radiator shroud, also had to trim the bottom of the radiator and grill to get everything level. now everything lines up except the right fender joint. fenders about ready for paint.

DSC01727.JPG

DSC01732.JPG

DSC01739.JPG

DSC01740.JPG

Nice progress Ken!

I had a similar problem with the right filler on the U model that I'm building. I finally sanded off the MPC factory tabs and lined it up with the fender. Even though the fender of the hood hides it on the U it was causing hood alignment problems for me. Anyway I hope that I got it fixed.

Looks Great!!

This is looking real good Ken!  I came across a DM800 build on another forum and the builder cut the plastic tube connecting the fenders down the middle. He then sleeved a piece of thin aluminum tube over the 2 halves before attaching them to the frame, allowing the fenders to swing up independently of each other which I thought was a good idea. Just trying to gather info on all of the corrections and modifications I will need to do before I start building mine.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken, great build.  Working on my 2nd one now. First was built in 1973, still have it along with the gravel trailer.

One observation. If you look at the center bottom of the dash you will see a small cutout,  that is the location for the heater box as opposed to the floor in front of the passenger seat. The box is glued to the front interior wall and the bottom of the dash.