Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 40 Ford - final mock-up 12-18-18

Tyler62990

I'm getting ready to dig into this one as part of a club build off. There's a pretty good amount of flash, heavy mold lines, and very shallow engraving, but we'll make it work lol. First up was a bit of scribing and cutting out the hood for the blower. My plan is to paint half of the body white as well, so here's to hoping the sealer I sprayed on the parts tonight keeps that orange from showing its ugly face. Hope to have more updates tomorrow.

IMG_20181017_051140927.jpg

IMG_20181017_165225378.jpg

Edited by Tyler62990

From the pictures you posted and the ones I have seen, the Lindberg kit (IMC) is a direct copy, part for part of the AMT kit. As if they got one of AMT's old worn out molds and used it. Same poor body lines, same incorrect rear quarter windows. Every part is the same.

I got one with the L700 Dodge truck kit and decided to go completely period 1962 Vintage Gasser with it. I may still use the thread fender welting

On 10/30/2018 at 2:39 AM, BigTallDad said:

You know, welting is just one of those details I ALWAYS seem to overlook. I just may have to give it a go on this one. I may use some thin black plastic beading string I have. I think I would want more of a rubber look.

17 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

From the pictures you posted and the ones I have seen, the Lindberg kit (IMC) is a direct copy, part for part of the AMT kit. As if they got one of AMT's old worn out molds and used it. Same poor body lines, same incorrect rear quarter windows. Every part is the same.

I got one with the L700 Dodge truck kit and decided to go completely period 1962 Vintage Gasser with it. I may still use the thread fender welting

That is really looking great. Seems like I'm running into the same issues you've found. The engraving on my trunk is also terrible, but even after a few coats of sealer primer and a few coats of white primer, by luck or divine intervention, the lines are still visible. I love the engine choice you made. I'll be sticking with the kit Nailhead on mine. 

1 hour ago, Tyler62990 said:

You know, welting is just one of those details I ALWAYS seem to overlook. I just may have to give it a go on this one. I may use some thin black plastic beading string I have. I think I would want more of a rubber look.

Make sure you can glue the beading...that might be difficult if it's polypropylene. As a test, cut off a small segment of the beading and glue it to a piece of sprue.

So after a coat of sealer and a few coats of white primer, this is where I'm at. It's looking like the orange plastic is good and buried. For the paint, I'm thinking a white bottom half, dark blue top half, and a yellow separation line to go along with the decals I want to use.

IMG_20181102_091026158.jpg

IMG_20181102_091041837.jpg

IMG_20181102_091128312.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

She's got some paint! Well, kinda. The hood needs to be redone and it needs a few touch ups here and there, but overall I'm pretty happy with it, especially considering the fact it was done during a snowstorm lol. One thing I managed to overlook is how faint the side trim is. Looks like we'll be doing some freehand foil work in the near future.

IMG_20181115_221827640.jpg

IMG_20181115_221906300.jpg

Looks like we'll be doing some freehand foil work in the near future.

No need to do so. Cut the foil in stripes with the same width as the trim, and then apply the foil to the body. Use a metal ruler to cut straight even stripes, and the chrome should look great. 

20 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

No need to do so. Cut the foil in stripes with the same width as the trim, and then apply the foil to the body. Use a metal ruler to cut straight even stripes, and the chrome should look great. 

You know, that's a great idea. I'll definitely try that. While I'm thinking about it, I've noticed that you make your own foil. Do you have a tutorial anywhere on how to do that? For how expensive it is, I haven't been all that impressed with BMF lately.

You know, that's a great idea. I'll definitely try that. While I'm thinking about it, I've noticed that you make your own foil. Do you have a tutorial anywhere on how to do that? For how expensive it is, I haven't been all that impressed with BMF lately.

I always do that with cars that have thin straight rim. It works great, and the thin stripe of foil will follow with ease the curves on the body. Just won't work on sharp edges, like a window corner. Even on the Revell '40 Ford I used pre cut foil stripes on the side trim, as this way I can have the exact same size trim on the body and hood, not to mentions on both sides of the car. 

Have a tutorial on making foil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhfdTqUpTY&t=5s

On 11/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I do that a lot myself. Especially on 40s with the thin straight trim.

20170429_234659-vi.jpg

On 11/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I always do that with cars that have thin straight rim. It works great, and the thin stripe of foil will follow with ease the curves on the body. Just won't work on sharp edges, like a window corner. Even on the Revell '40 Ford I used pre cut foil stripes on the side trim, as this way I can have the exact same size trim on the body and hood, not to mentions on both sides of the car. 

Have a tutorial on making foil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhfdTqUpTY&t=5s

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

On 11/28/2018 at 10:01 PM, Dave Darby said:

I do that a lot myself. Especially on 40s with the thin straight trim.

20170429_234659-vi.jpg

Very nice builds man. Love that one on the right.

So not too much to show. The paint was touched up in places, but quickly became an even bigger problem. I think I'm finally getting that squared away, though. I did manage to get the engine done. For being a big blob of plastic for the most part, it does build up into a pretty nice Nailhead with a little detailing. Here's where I'm needing suggestions. Should I go with the kit scoop (primer), or this nice Crower (chrome) I dug out of the parts box? I like the idea of keeping it Hilborn on Hilborn, but that kit scoop is pretty iffy. What do you guys think?

IMG_20181205_220701600.jpg

IMG_20181205_220822784.jpg

2 hours ago, Tyler62990 said:

So not too much to show. The paint was touched up in places, but quickly became an even bigger problem. I think I'm finally getting that squared away, though. I did manage to get the engine done. For being a big blob of plastic for the most part, it does build up into a pretty nice Nailhead with a little detailing. Here's where I'm needing suggestions. Should I go with the kit scoop (primer), or this nice Crower (chrome) I dug out of the parts box? I like the idea of keeping it Hilborn on Hilborn, but that kit scoop is pretty iffy. What do you guys think?

IMG_20181205_220701600.jpg

IMG_20181205_220822784.jpg

Try the chrome scoop from the 63 Galaxie. Fits that blower like a glove.

FB_IMG_1544145112180.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 6:20 PM, Lovefordgalaxie said:

I like the Ford V8 better.

Somehow I knew you would say that haha. I have a Revell 40 in the stash that'll be keeping its flathead. It almost hurt putting the Nailhead in this one, but a stock flattie doesn't make for the best drag car unfortunately.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:12 PM, Dave Darby said:

Try the chrome scoop from the 63 Galaxie. Fits that blower like a glove.

FB_IMG_1544145112180.jpg

I wish I had that kit. That scoop looks really nice.

Ok, I've been neglecting the posting in favor of building. Here's a quick mock-up of what I've got going on now. The paint was touched up and cleared, then given a good polishing. I decided to paint the firewall a polished aluminum color to give it a little pop. Foil was applied, then the panel lines blackwashed. I got the chassis put together, then put the body over it to snap a quick picture. Next up is making windows from acetate sheet, as the ones from the kit are just way too thick for my liking.

IMG_20181217_075400289.jpg