Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

I my research I found this article about 3 cars from the P2P. All the owners, drivers, nav are all from my town of Yakima Wa. Yakima is not a big town and we are out in the middle of Washington and yet 3 cars from here competed. If I get the time I may try to hunt them down and go see the cars.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/unbelievable-three-chevys-are-rewriting-the-rules-of-endurance-rally-racing/

Great article. Great photos as well. Check out what the options are for running boards, interiors, intakes, brakes, etc.

Gentlemen pay close attention to the section of the article titled: Bending the Rules.

Actually this changes quite a lot about what I assumed about the P2P. Clearly 4 barrel carbs, Ford 9" rear ends, 5 speed trannys and torshion anti-roll bars were not available in 1938. My thought was that it had to be the same tech level as the year of the car. This does change things. 

This will certainly change how I build the '51. I think this article is a good guide on building these racers.

Edited by Jantrix

I agree, that article really opens up the limits of what can be done. You definitely want to take a Smoky Yunick approach to interpreting the rules. I certainly dont feel so bad about some of the mods I was planning anymore.

Edited by Fat Brian

Well, after reading the article I posted I have made a few changes to my car as well. I have the stock engine, but added a 4 barrel carb. The stock trans was a manual, but I added a Tremic(I think) 5 speed from a later 80's Ford T-Bird. Wheels and tires are from the MPC Chevy Rescue Van with a matched set of the rears in the front too. I made some new spindles for the front, wire coil springs and added lift blocks to the rear. I also opened the trunk to allow you to see all the goodies that will be in there in the future. I had to add a trunk floor to cover the hole where the fuel tank is.

I am also removing the back seat and adding a roll bar and seats from a Plymouth Prowler. Hey they are at least Plymouth seats.

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3644.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

Ok, just been playing with photoshop and created this file for mass consumption.  It is a "scale" plaque and number rondel.  All are welcome to use it.  It you can't download to print, PM me and I will attach an original JPEG file for you to use.  It is scaled to 6"X4"

printable plaque_roundel.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

Ok, just been playing with photoshop and created this file for mass consumption.  It is a "scale" plaque and number rondel.  All are welcome to use it.  It you can't download to print, PM me and I will attach an original JPEG file for you to use.  It is scaled to 6"X4"

Very nice. Thank you Pete.

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Thanks indeed!

11 hours ago, Pete J. said:

10 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Very nice. Thank you Pete.

9 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Thanks indeed!

Equally important, if you have photoshop, the numbers that fit the roundels are Arial rounded MT Bold 36 point.  I formated them to 4 X 6 because I have some white inkjet decal paper in that size and it goes through my HP printer in the photo tray.   I also have a ton of plane photo paper in that size from HP.  They use to give you a stack of it when you bought their pack of three color cartridges.  

Edited by Pete J.

I'm in. Just found a kit in my stash...a 1941 Plymouth Coupe.
If it's not taken (it doesn't look like it) I'd like to take #52.

Update: The 41 Plymouth kit I had was missing to many pieces, so I'll be entering a 69 Chevy Nova SS (small block) instead.
Still would like #52 if available.

Edited by LouO
kit issues

I'm in! Since I had no time to build anything for Cannonball 2018, I want to try this one. The idea sounds very interesting, and it's great that there are rules that limit what we can and can't do. Interesting to see how everyone is going to "bend" the rules, as a Drag Racer myself I know that if something is not forbidden, it's allowed.;)

Rob participated with a '51 Chevy Fleetline. My entry is a bit similar, but it's a Bel Air. Hope that is OK.

So I'd like to go with '51 Chevrolet Bel Air and start with number 13.

Someone has crashed my Chevy, so I need to fix it up. Though it might be that some scratches and dents are left as a "memory" from the possible previous rallies.:P

DSCN9310-vi.jpg

14 minutes ago, W-409 said:

Rob participated with a '51 Chevy Fleetline. My entry is a bit similar, but it's a Bel Air. Hope that is OK.

So I'd like to go with '51 Chevrolet Bel Air and start with number 13.

Someone has crashed my Chevy, so I need to fix it up. Though it might be that some scratches and dents are left as a "memory" from the possible previous rallies.:P

Niko, happy to have you. The Bel Air is fine. Lucky number 13. As for the dents, I think they are right inline with this rally. If you look at some of the cars mid-race, many are sporting scars like that. I read where one guy rolled the car three times and still finished the stage. 

LouO - got your '41 too. I'm glad I changed my entry, the '41 Plymouth is a popular choice. For good reason as well. A '41 car with IFS and a reliable engine that saw production until 1960? That's a no brainer. 

We are up to 14 entrants so far. I think that's a successful start.

A quick note: after seing the article that Scott posted it's clear that there is a LOT of modifications that you can make to these cars. However, don't feel you need to if your time is limited. Many racers are bone stock or nearly so. You could build a model completely stock, omit the hubcaps, throw on some mudflaps and a number and you are done. That's what I like about this theme. 

Edited by Jantrix

33 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

A quick note: after seeing the article that Scott posted it's clear that there is a LOT of modifications that you can make to these cars. However, don't feel you need to if your time is limited. Many racers are bone stock or nearly so. You could build a model completely stock, omit the hubcaps, throw on some mudflaps and a number and you are done. That's what I like about this theme. 

I agree!  This is not necessarily about modifying a car into a racing vehicle(although it could be).  It can be about making a road weary nearly stock rally car.  Battle weary, and beaten up with a load of stuff heaped on it.  In looking at the photos, it is fun to see the difference between the beautiful highly polished cars at the start and the hammered cars at the finish line.  I am going to enjoy making mine look like it has been driven 9,000 miles across Mongolia, the stepps for Russia, through the Urals, Caucasus and the Alps and into the heart of Europe.  This is going to be a fun build. 

30 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

I agree!  This is not necessarily about modifying a car into a racing vehicle(although it could be).  It can be about making a road weary nearly stock rally car.  Battle weary, and beaten up with a load of stuff heaped on it.  In looking at the photos, it is fun to see the difference between the beautiful highly polished cars at the start and the hammered cars at the finish line.  I am going to enjoy making mine look like it has been driven 9,000 miles across Mongolia, the stepps for Russia, through the Urals, Caucasus and the Alps and into the heart of Europe.  This is going to be a fun build. 

I agree completely. Seeing the near pristine condition some of the cars look to be in at the beginning of the rally and then the full on ass kicked versions of them at the end is great. I totally plan on doing mine in a "beaten up" state. 

I'm still sifting through the parts boxes for items to use, hope to have a starting WiP pick up by the weekend. 

Really liking the entries I'm seeing so far. Looking forward to updates.

I found this blog about an Entrant to the race. Some great thoughts about the cars and preparing them.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/290233-the-right-car-for-peking-to-paris-2019-rally/

I have not read all the pages yet.

This one is good too.

https://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/preparing-for-the-2019-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/

There is quite a bit on the net about this.

About the photos of the Rallye cars at the end of the race. Can anybody help me find pics of the cars at the finish line? My searches are not turning up much.  Thanks.

Edited by alexis

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I found this blog about an Entrant to the race. Some great thoughts about the cars and preparing them.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/290233-the-right-car-for-peking-to-paris-2019-rally/

I have not read all the pages yet.

This one is good too.

https://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2017/10/30/preparing-for-the-2019-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/

There is quite a bit on the net about this.

About the photos of the Rallye cars at the end of the race. Can anybody help me find pics of the cars at the finish line? My searches are not turning up much.  Thanks.

Pics by Gerard Brown. This link is to the 2016 gallery for Peking to Paris rally. It's broken down into the specific days and then further down into galleries for each car. Hope you can find what you're looking for  in here Alex.

https://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/Peking-Paris-2016/C0000ihFK0ADq8ds

Ok, this is a one time offer to 4 people.  I was about to run my number decals and realized that I had enough space on the decal sheet for four more sets.  I see no reason to waste good decal paper so the first 4 people, and I repeat the first 4 people to PM me with their number and address will get a set of decals.  Please make it a PM not a reply to this web page.

I intend this to help those out who may not have the ability to print their own, so if you can do it, please let someone else get in the line. 

I make no guarantee as to the quality but they will be inkjet printed on white decal paper and coated with clear automotive lacquer.  Your going to have to cut them out as I don't have the ability to print them like the big boys do.   I apologize to those who don't get this but I have limited resources and time so I can't do everyone. The postage alone would be a burden.  

My first update.

Kit is Revell's Shelby GT350R. Wheels are from Fireball Modelworks 15" Minilites. Tires are at the moment robbed from a WRC rally car but they may be swapped out for something more era appropriate when I can find something that fits better. Seats are full racing seats ( for safety) from Hobby Design. I'll also be adding in some 4 point harness' but they'll be black to keep inline with what was available in era. Even though the seats arent period correct I've noticed a lot of cars have updated seats for safety...and comfort I'm sure. Other modern things are added to some cars too, headsets for communication as well as fire suppression items and gps as well as GoPro camera, cause who wouldnt want to document their journey.

Ride height needs a bit of adjustment in the back still and nothing is glued into place so the look is 100% right. I've removed all the badging from the car added in a grill to hold some extra rally lights. Holes are drilled out in the front of the hood for a hood pin set. I also may open the truck for a fuel cell and other goodies. I need to fab a roof rack of some sort for spare tires and other items for the journey. I'll also be adding in some more tubing for a better, safer cockpit.

20181108_185548-vi.jpg

20181108_185722-vi.jpg

20181108_185636-vi.jpg

20181108_185604-vi.jpg

20181108_184405-vi.jpg

20181108_184340-vi.jpg

Here is my first update. 

I have biult the 289 mostly box stock with the exception of Shelby headers, carb and oil breathes on the valve covers from an old nascar, the rear suspension and axle are from a moebius 65 comet, the roof rack is scratch biult and I have biult skid plates for the fuel tank, drive shaft and a front bumper.  

5EFA3115-2E34-47F3-ABA4-A62D07554A46.thumb.jpeg.f0875eac95ef5d1e4f36007d3fd1ce7e.jpeg809962A9-1B11-4560-ACCD-B496A549B342.thumb.jpeg.2b5caecdb259e9bfd0ebbc26d9b3c472.jpeg48D2452F-8D2D-4F1A-A50B-7C3C77A0EB8E.thumb.jpeg.2c650e40d0ea3f23b19bd34412445093.jpeg4E102853-4C73-44AF-8254-AA6E0C2AD174.thumb.jpeg.e133d7b25c28f94b63beed50e7813f76.jpeg

On 11/8/2018 at 4:43 PM, Pete J. said:

Ok, this is a one time offer to 4 people.  I was about to run my number decals and realized that I had enough space on the decal sheet for four more sets.  I see no reason to waste good decal paper so the first 4 people, and I repeat the first 4 people to PM me with their number and address will get a set of decals.  Please make it a PM not a reply to this web page.

I intend this to help those out who may not have the ability to print their own, so if you can do it, please let someone else get in the line. 

I make no guarantee as to the quality but they will be inkjet printed on white decal paper and coated with clear automotive lacquer.  Your going to have to cut them out as I don't have the ability to print them like the big boys do.   I apologize to those who don't get this but I have limited resources and time so I can't do everyone. The postage alone would be a burden.  

Ok, no takers?  I will let this offer stand through the weekend.  This is a no charge offer, because it cost me the same to do 5 as it does to do one.  I'm even paying the postage.  First 4 only.