Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

Well this weekend we got snow, so I couldn't do much outside, not that I wanted to anyway. So, I got more done on the Plymouth.

I got almost all the BMF done, I did my best to match the photos of the real car and how the chrome is on it.

I wanted the hood to be flat black, like you see on some school buses and trucks, it reduces the glare from the sun. I figured this would be good on a Rally car. 

I still have a lot of details to finish up, but here is a mock up to show where it it headed. No bumpers yet or headlights. They will be added shortly. As well as the door handles.

It is just mocked up, so it is not sitting fuly down on the frame, that will happen during final assembly.

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

I got my decals Friday. They look great!

I plan on using the 65 Lincoln Roof Rack on my '34 Ford entry. Seems small, but it was the easier to find, than the rack in '75 MPC Corvette kit.

A question. I've read that 2 spare tires are required, but many of the Gerard Brown photo's show only one tire (usually on the roof rack) of the 1930-1940 vehicles. Not sure where I'm gonna find room on the 34 Coupe for a second spare, LOL.

I'm hunting a pair of Small K&N style filters for the twin carbs on the flathead Ford motor.

I think Scenes Unlimited is going to get my Tire/Wheel Business.

I am excited about this build. I'll be glad when the holidays are over, and I can get some bench time. 

1 hour ago, alexis said:

A question. I've read that 2 spare tires are required, but many of the Gerard Brown photo's show only one tire (usually on the roof rack) of the 1930-1940 vehicles. Not sure where I'm gonna find room on the 34 Coupe for a second spare, LOL.

Per our rules - 

Spares
There will no limit to the quantity or the range of spares that can be carried in the car but trailers are not permitted.

I see that I am not the only one to go with the flat black hood idea. I have made more progress on this, I am rounding the finish line.

As you can see the hood is black to reduce the glare. I added mud flaps, I think the rules say you have to have them. I added a small skid plate under the oil pan. Got the decals on the doors, but still need to do the smaller ones. Roof rack mounted and rope added to hold everything in place. Working on making custom shocks, the kit ones are too short with the raised suspension. A few more details like the mirror, etc. and it will be done.

It is starting to look the part.

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

You guys me itching to start so I got the basic bodywork done on the beetle. I radiused the fenders a bit for tire clearance and trimmed the corners. The rear tires are bigger than I wanted but they were in the parts bin so they're going on. They also matched the fronts which worked out pretty good. I'm going for a baja beetle look bit with all the stock panels instead of fiberglass replacements.

20181211_202656.thumb.jpg.718f397e8d26c6fbcef1aab274a0ed5b.jpg20181211_202750.thumb.jpg.53da790b43d690fd80f26038272fe8b5.jpg20181211_202730.thumb.jpg.07e9e9c92f8d808293fe0fd43387910d.jpg

On 2018-10-30 at 9:47 AM, Jantrix said:

Here's our roster race fans!

#98  Jhedir6 - '65 Shelby GT350R

#42  Pete J. - Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA

#32  Jantrix - '51 Chevy Fleetline

#6  Pat Minarick - '68 Firebird

#72  Foxer - American LaFrance Speedster

#00  426Pack - '67 Mustang GT

# 19  da_ashman - Nissan Skyline

#27  Ryansrust - 70.5 Camaro

#2  Fat Brian - '68 Beetle

#39  MeatMan - Sunbeam Tiger

#41  Oldmopars - '41 Plymouth

#5   Alexis - '34 Ford 

#51  LouO - '69 Nova

#13  W-409 - '51 Chevy Bel Air

#7   dsldriver - '47 Chevy

#54  Aaron - Model T

#31  Harpo - '31 Rolls Royce Phantom II

#62  FredRPG - Rambler

Is it too late to entrr?

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

Nope. You are doing the '64 Plymouth right? What number are you going to use?

Rob, when you update the numbers list, would you please include my use of #49 for the porsche?  I am already on with #42 for the Alfa.  Thanks.

Here is my entry, a 1964 Dodge 330. Chosen because it is a 2 door sedan, therefore quite rigid and because they are renowned for their toughness. It will sport the following:

IMG_8230.JPG.cf50c9db6f56240fe160263db8fbfa28.JPG

• Slant 6 + four speed manual                                                                                                                               
    IMG_8232.JPG.94ac0d7928685fdce095f1ba29e4ce5f.JPG
  • Chief Joseph off-road tires on steel wheels.                                                                                                 
    IMG_8233.JPG.7e282dfe213183d8c71f4e4b46bf7753.JPG                                         
  • No back seat for storage of suitcases, etc.
  • Roof rack, skid plate and some off-road items, mainly grille bars and big lights.                                   
    IMG_8234.JPG.d350abe1d0058ce0170a25fb2d3cf666.JPG
  • Posibly a snorkel air intake to stay above road debris in traffic and possible water fording.
Edited by landman

Today my set of Peking to Paris decals arrived from Pete. They look excellent and there was also an useful instruction sheet how to use them the right way. I have to say a big Thank You to Pete J for this.

PC137383-vi.jpg

Now it's good time to start building my '51. As soon as I finish my contest entry first on another forum. So should get the '51 going properly immediately after this year is over. Can't wait.

Edited by W-409

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

To the best of my knowledge there is no high water fording. I've not seen any racers with this modification.

2013 entry.  I was definitely thinking of this modification for my 911 entry.  Probably not a lot of high water fording , but some up to mid hubcap level and look like water is  running quite rapidly. It could definitely be a problem for low slung engines like Porsche or Volkswagens.   I can also seeing it needed for dust issues with rear engined vehicles. 

Image result for Peking to paris rally porsche

Edited by Pete J.

9 hours ago, W-409 said:

Today my set of Peking to Paris decals arrived from Pete. They look excellent and there was also an useful instruction sheet how to use them the right way. I have to say a big Thank You to Pete J for this.

PC137383-vi.jpg

Now it's good time to start building my '51. As soon as I finish my contest entry first on another forum. So should get the '51 going properly immediately after this year is over. Can't wait.

Glad I could help some of the builders on this endeavor.  Good luck with your build!