Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

2013 entry.  I was definitely thinking of this modification for my 911 entry.  Probably not a lot of high water fording , but some up to mid hubcap level and look like water is  running quite rapidly. It could definitely be a problem for low slung engines like Porsche or Volkswagens.   I can also seeing it needed for dust issues with rear engined vehicles. 

Image result for Peking to paris rally porsche

Thanks for posting the Pete, I had been wondering about a snorkel or even just some extra filtration for my bug. Definitely gives me something to think about. 

7 hours ago, Pete J. said:

2013 entry.  I was definitely thinking of this modification for my 911 entry.  Probably not a lot of high water fording , but some up to mid hubcap level and look like water is  running quite rapidly. It could definitely be a problem for low slung engines like Porsche or Volkswagens.   I can also seeing it needed for dust issues with rear engined vehicles. 

Image result for Peking to paris rally porsche

Well that's a horse of a different color, isn't it?

Not to start an argument with you, but if I had to take a swag on the reason for this modification, I'd say that it's because of the roof rack disrupting the flow of air into the air vent on the engine cover. This modification sort of creates a ram air effect, to maximize air into the engine at the comparably low speeds of the P2P. With the added benefit, as you point out, of keeping the intake well away from any water.

On a side note. This car should point out that a car does not need raised suspension and truck tires to compete in this rally. This car did finish the race. 41st of 49 in it's class. When you figure the race is 5500 miles over 33 days, it's still something to brag about. If the raised ride height seems to be bothering you, as it is me to a certain extent, don't sweat it. Build it how you want to.

53 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Well that's a horse of a different color, isn't it?

Not to start an argument with you, but if I had to take a swag on the reason for this modification, I'd say that it's because of the roof rack disrupting the flow of air into the air vent on the engine cover. This modification sort of creates a ram air effect, to maximize air into the engine at the comparably low speeds of the P2P. With the added benefit, as you point out, of keeping the intake well away from any water.

On a side note. This car should point out that a car does not need raised suspension and truck tires to compete in this rally. This car did finish the race. 41st of 49 in it's class. When you figure the race is 5500 miles over 33 days, it's still something to brag about. If the raised ride height seems to be bothering you, as it is me to a certain extent, don't sweat it. Build it how you want to.

Rob you may be right about the cooling and disrupted air flow.  Rear engine/air cooled engines have always been a challenge to keep cool.  In the case of Porsche however it is really less about air flow over the cooling fins and more about oil flow.  I just pulled out my owners manual from the 1974 model I use to own in the 70's to confirm the oil capacity.  It takes 2.9 gallons, yes GALLONS, of oil.  There is a copper oil tank in the right rear fender that helps cool the engine. The difference between the low and high mark on the dipstick is almost 3 quarts.  One thing that caught my eye in the manual was the suggestion that in hotter climate conditions, they specified that the oil should be kept at the high end of the level and checked frequently.  

On a side note, I suspect the configuration of the snorkels is perhaps because this may be a carbureted engine with 6 two barrel webers, three per side.  In my mind that would explain the dual snorkels.  In this configuration they would be drawing cool combustion air from outside the hot engine compartment.  Also moved to the front like this there is likely far less dust for the filters to contend with.  

At any rate, I didn't want to start an argument.  Like most of us, I just enjoy talking about cars. 

I would like to join in the race. I have been obsessively watching videos of the races and can't get enough. I didn't realize the race was still really going on, I guess. I love seeing the racers bouncing all those cars across the dirt roads and rivers and...

I will be using Revell's 1948 Ford. I still have parts left over from my half attempt at the Cannonball run a few years ago...

Number 71.

Thanks for putting this together Rob.

3 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I would like to join in the race. I have been obsessively watching videos of the races and can't get enough. I didn't realize the race was still really going on, I guess. I love seeing the racers bouncing all those cars across the dirt roads and rivers and...

I will be using Revell's 1948 Ford. I still have parts left over from my half attempt at the Cannonball run a few years ago...

Number 71.

Thanks for putting this together Rob.

Erik,

I was gonna do a second car and told Rob I'd use #71 on it, but I've since decided Im probably not going to have time to do a second kit after all. So, if you'd like a nice set of the decals Pete J produced PM me your mailing address and I'll send the #71 decals to you.

Oh, and Pete, thanks again for the decals they look great.

Something else I've noticed different from many rally racers, lights very few of these cars seem to have additional lights. I guess with the race being divided into stages there isn't much driving after dark.

I hope to get started in the coming week. It has been kind of crazy around the house recently. All good stuff, just coming close together and each needing my time. 

After watching a number of the videos of the P2P rally, I think I'm going to go a beefed up front axle and more gears (add 2 speed rear end) rather than my original idea to use the Livingood 4x4 conversion. The roads are rough, but they look to be more actual roads than I first imagined.

17 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Wow, 21 entries so far!  This looks like it is going well.  Thanks for run it Rob!

You are quite welcome. I enjoy doing unusual racing subjects. LSR, Carrera Panamericana. So when I saw these P2P cars, building one was a no-brainer. But when I realized that there would be a real rally next summer I realized I could do a CBP to run concurrently and really make it fun. I've contacted the organization that puts on the rally and I'm hoping to find event coverage that I can add to the build thread to make this one a little more immersive and inspire people to finish by the end of the rally. 

1. OK, I have one or two '53 Studebakers in my stash. Put me in for #121 (I'm being different and they do use 3 numbers if necessary). I'll get one of them out over the weekend. 

If the 121 thing is out of bounds, I'll take 21...

Edited by Swifster

Rob, in one of your posts you mentioned that you didn't think that there were any swift water crossings.  I came across this photo in the 2019 site that thought I would throw it up there.  Kind of looks like things can get a little dicey for the sports cars if they are not properly prepared.  I wouldn't want to be in this Morgan.   

945x350_crop.jpg

10 hours ago, Swifster said:
  1. OK, I have one or two '53 Studebakers in my stash. Put me in for #121 (I'm being different and they do use 3 numbers if necessary). I'll get one of them out over the weekend. 

If the 121 thing is out of bounds, I'll take 21...

Great choice. The '53 Studes have a great endurance race lineage. Check out their success in the Carrera Panamericana. #121 is fine.

4 hours ago, bismarck said:

Aren't Morgan's made with wooden frames? :blink:. Yikes. Lol. Put me in for a 1939 Chevy coupe, number 9. Thanks Rob.:)

Yer in !

8 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Rob, in one of your posts you mentioned that you didn't think that there were any swift water crossings.  I came across this photo in the 2019 site that thought I would throw it up there.  Kind of looks like things can get a little dicey for the sports cars if they are not properly prepared.  I wouldn't want to be in this Morgan.   

Actually I said high water. And yes, you better be prepared, skilled and have your brown pants on for a swift water crossing.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:58 AM, Jantrix said:

Actually I said high water. And yes, you better be prepared, skilled and have your brown pants on for a swift water crossing.

I would bet the guys in the Morgan would disagree!  At about that moment they are probably thinking that it's "high" water. :lol::D

5 hours ago, Jantrix said:

You are in.

I've been hard at it getting things painted. Pics soon.

I only got the kit for Christmas so have just started planning and assembling the motor etc, once i get better organised i will post a description of my entry.

Edited by Kiwi_Bloke

10 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

I only got the kit for Christmas so have just started planning and assembling the motor etc, once i get better organised i will post a description of my entry.

Your not alone.  I have the kits I need, just waiting on parts I have orders from various suppliers.  Will get to work once I have the bits and pieces.  Biggest hold up now is seats.  The rules (for the real deal) suggest racing seat and require 5 point harnesses on new cars so that is what I am going for.