Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

17 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

After paint would be hard to do. And I found that the hinges I made restricted the placement of stuff in the trunk. It is still cool stuff you have there. You could always display it beside the car, as if it is getting ready to be loaded.

That was my intention in the final photos.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

And I found that the hinges I made restricted the placement of stuff in the trunk. 

This was my issue too. First off the tulip panel on a '51 Fletline is nearly non-existant so where to mount the hinge?. I intended to put a gas tank under the rear package shelf, but I just couldn't figure out how to do all that and hinge the trunk. So I think i'm going to load the back seat area and add a trunk rack with a spare tire and call it good.

Edited by Jantrix

I made the Aluminum Fuel Cell in my Plymouth out of a Pepsi can, I had to cut it down from what I originally wanted to get it to fit between the hinges. I am not sorry I hinged the trunk, but I may in the future try to bend the hinges to be "tighter" so that I do not restrict the trunk space. I did not think it through all the way and by the time I started filling the trunk, I decided to work around the hinge issue instead of attempting to redesign the hinges. In the end it turned out just fine.

DSCN7051.JPG

24 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

So I think i'm going to load the back seat area and add a trunk rack with a spare tire and call it good.

Are trunk racks allowed on any car? I thought they are limited to "Trunk racks - only for cars that came with them as a factory option. 1st Gen Camaros, C3 Vettes, etc.". I really need one on the Opel, storage is non existent in this baby.

31 minutes ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

Are trunk racks allowed on any car? I thought they are limited to "Trunk racks - only for cars that came with them as a factory option. 1st Gen Camaros, C3 Vettes, etc.". I really need one on the Opel, storage is non existent in this baby.

I think this is one of those rules that gets "glossed over" I see trunk racks on a lot of the cars that probably didn't come with them. You HAVE to car a certain amount of gear with you and you need to store it somewhere. I think as long as it looks like it was something that would have existed during the era of the car you'll be ok. Rob will have to have the final word, but I see lots of those pre 40s car with mods that wouldnt have been done in era. I think fabing one out of metal tubing would be in the spirit of the rally as opposed to a Thule luggage rack and carrier on the roof. 

3 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

After perusing many actual race cars I am seeing trunk racks that obviously didn/t have them stock.

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I think this is one of those rules that gets "glossed over" I see trunk racks on a lot of the cars that probably didn't come with them. You HAVE to car a certain amount of gear with you and you need to store it somewhere. I think as long as it looks like it was something that would have existed during the era of the car you'll be ok. Rob will have to have the final word, but I see lots of those pre 40s car with mods that wouldnt have been done in era. I think fabing one out of metal tubing would be in the spirit of the rally as opposed to a Thule luggage rack and carrier on the roof. 

Correct. I have changed the rules. Lets try to keep them period correct.

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Rob, the news of this event has just reached the rock I live under!

Very cool, I actually saw your car's progress on Facebook and came back to this board for more information.

Please enlist me as number 61,  1953 Ford 4 door sedan, if I may!

TOM! Happy to have you join us. Very happy with the amount of participation for this CBP.

On 4.1.2019 at 4:36 PM, Jantrix said:

Yes, you can use an electronic ignition. However that document points out the mechanical is easier to repair should it be necessary during the race.

I see nothing in that document that would restrict modern fuel filters or fuel pumps. 

Thanx Rob, that's what I thought myself, too. Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.:)

I'm not sure what ignition system I'm going to go with yet. It's going to be either stock or then a very basic MSD electronic ignition as they are pretty reliable too. Whatever I go with, I'll need to take some spare parts in the trunk or backseat. Not sure yet if I'm going to have an opening trunk or not. Probably not though, as there is pretty much work to do anyway.

Here are some pics of start on my '51 Bel Air. All of the parts came out from the paint stripping pretty fast. All parts look pretty good, except for the body crash damage... But that's going to be part of the car's character anyway.

P1047592-vi.jpg

P1047593-vi.jpg

I decided to start building by making the roll cage. I found a pretty good main hoop from my parts box. It was exactly the correct height and it had to be narrowed only a little to fit in this body. However I had to do little modifications to the door panels to make some room for the main hoop.

P1047594-vi.jpg

Then I filled the hole with sheet styrene, and now the main hoop fits well on its place.

P1057599-vi.jpg

It fits pretty well to the body shapes as well.

P1057596-vi.jpg

Today I did some more tubings to the roll bar. I had some .080 plastic rod which is slightly thinner than the main hoop, but I decided not to loose my night sleep because of that. It's not done but it's a good start. I didn't see a rule that says you gotta have a backseat, so I left mine out. I'm going to make a full roll cage for this as it makes the body so much stronger.

P1057601-vi.jpg

P1057600-vi.jpg

P1057602-vi.jpg

P1057603-vi.jpg

Niko that's looking great. One of the nice things about the AMT 51's is that the door panels and back seat are separate parts rather than molded in like most of the kits of that time period. It will be very useful for this build. The roll cage looks terrific. It's going to be a challenge incorporating the roll cage and still keep the back seat area useful for storage. If I was going to race this for real I would absolutely build a four door, strange as it is to say.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:41 PM, Jantrix said:

Niko that's looking great. One of the nice things about the AMT 51's is that the door panels and back seat are separate parts rather than molded in like most of the kits of that time period. It will be very useful for this build. The roll cage looks terrific. It's going to be a challenge incorporating the roll cage and still keep the back seat area useful for storage. If I was going to race this for real I would absolutely build a four door, strange as it is to say.

Not much room in the back of mine either with the roll bar and divider in place. Of course I could move the divider closer to the seats..-_-

IMG_8273.JPG.510b029d7ad22af135f1ff74faac9c4c.JPG

Edited by landman

Thanks Rob, I was thinking about the same issue myself. Not good but at least the body should be pretty stiff. I'll need to fabricate a proper roof rack for one of two spare tires and some other stuff that might be necessary. Four door body would help on that for sure.

I finished the cage today. Not sure what kind of roll cages rally cars usually have, but this is a bit of "simplified" version of 8.5 second roll cage that is seen on Drag Race cars. I think it'll do on this one. I'm not completely happy on how the cage turned out, but luckily it's hidden for the most part inside of the car. The body shapes were a bit trickier on this one compared to the Fox Mustang where I built my latest cage before this one.

P1077605-vi.jpg

P1077607-vi.jpg

P1077609-vi.jpg

P1077611-vi.jpg

Next, I'll need to prep the interior parts ready for paint. Meanwhile, I can start working on the engine.

Pat's '64 Dodge is looking very good, too. I think the snorkel is a great idea and it's very well executed, too.

57 minutes ago, landman said:

Not much room in the back of mine either with the roll bar and divider in place. Of course I could move the divider closer to the seats..-_-

Also maybe lower the divider to make it easier to get things in and out of the rear area.

51 minutes ago, W-409 said:

I finished the cage today. Not sure what kind of roll cages rally cars usually have, but this is a bit of "simplified" version of 8.5 second roll cage that is seen on Drag Race cars. I think it'll do on this one. 

I'll say it'll do. The official P2P rules require only a four point roll bar. This is a pretty low speed rally.  

7 hours ago, landman said:

The installation of the snorkel is done.

And a preview until I take the good photos. With the cars narrow track, the mudflaps look ridiculous but they are compulsory.

IMG_8342.jpg

now see I thought the mud flaps just hang down at the rear of the wheels? (That's what we would call a mud flap down here in Godzone)

5 minutes ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

now see I thought the mud flaps just hang down at the rear of the wheels? (That's what we would call a mud flap down here in Godzone)

I thought so as well, however the examples given show a full encirclement.

On 1/8/2019 at 4:39 AM, landman said:

The installation of the snorkel is done.

IMG_8341.jpg

And a preview until I take the good photos. With the cars narrow track, the mudflaps look ridiculous but they are compulsory.

IMG_8342.jpg

I like it, its looking great. I love the added snorkel. And as a huge slant 6 fan (I know that is weird) this build is striking a cord with me.

49 minutes ago, landman said:

So there it is until such time as we get the cue to post the "good" pictures. On to the Vannnonball.

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

Wow, that looks great!  Nice work. 

Ok, so maybe I missed it.  Where did you get all the "luggage"?