Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

On 7.1.2019 at 10:34 PM, Jantrix said:

I'll say it'll do. The official P2P rules require only a four point roll bar. This is a pretty low speed rally.  

That's exactly why I didn't want to add any more tubings. The cage might not be correct for a modern rally car, but that's not important at this point either as like you said, the speeds are a bit different.

Here is a start of the engine for my '51 Bel Air. It's the basic Chevy Stovebolt that comes in this kit, with Bill Fisher's custom cylinder head that became available in late 1951. This is one of the early cast iron versions, Fisher moved to aluminum version of the same head in 1952, but obviously that would be one year too "new" for this car. Of course taking part to a Rally like this with pretty rare cylinder head is a bit of a risk, but while the engine isn't built with the every last horsepower in mind, I think it will survive.

All of the old paint came off very nicely from the engine parts. But there was pretty much glue used on all parts, and removing that was a lot of work. After lots of cleanup, the parts fit decent on place. I also stripped the chrome from that cylinder head and sprayed it with "Chrome Silver" from a spray can. Next I need to paint the starter and add some black washing to the engine to bring out some details.

P1137634-vi.jpg

P1137635-vi.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, landman said:

The suitcases and medikit are from Shapeways. They are supposed to be 1/24 but are closer to 1/20. The toolbox is from the parts bin.

There are some suitcases in the Johan '59 Rambler kit.  They were in some other Johan kit previously that I forget, but Okey added them to the '59 release.

We're progressing well with the Tiger. Here are a few mock-up shots. Still having clearance probs with the hood even with the hump. Ronnie suggested that we go with a lower profile unit that drops down around the carb. Now finding one in the parts bins will be the challenge. We also had a slight problem with the windshield frame but didn't want to fix it until all of the rough stuff was done.

The pics don't do the color justice. The red is a really red red. I've got to work on that.

Tiger prepaint Mockup 1.jpg

Tiger Prepaint Mockup 2.jpg

Tiger Prepaint Mockup 3.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

On 12/27/2018 at 9:52 PM, Kiwi_Bloke said:

Who are you sourcing you seats through? I am right at the start with this and have a list of things to source or build and I am new to this world of cars so its a big learning curve, and its hard (and expensive) to find aftermarket products down here.

So Great to have Another Kiwi join us!!! Over the years theres been a few Kiwi entrants into the P2P race, theres a few interviews with a couple of them in the video Jantrix posted a link to at the beginning!

Yes very difficult to get Aftermarket parts in NZ, best place is BNA in Oz as youve already mentioned, or HLJ.com in japan.

Ive been off work (& most of the internet) for the last few weeks enjoying some sun & a few beers over my summer vacation, Did manage to get a little modelling done, got the first colour down on my Skyline & some other parts painted. Progress pics tomorrow!

Theres been some real progress since I last visited! Builds are looking awesome!

2 hours ago, tom q vaxy said:

was the Parts Box noted? their products & service are great: https://www.thepartsbox.com/product-category/interior/seats/ 

I am aware of them and will be ordering some accessories from them once I finish my design thought processes... have most of the list ready to order, and the work bench nearly cleared.

On January 13, 2019 at 6:16 PM, MeatMan said:

The pics don't do the color justice. The red is a really red red. I've got to work on that.

Tiger prepaint Mockup 1.jpg

Tiger Prepaint Mockup 2.jpg

I like where you are headed with this.  One thing I noticed though, your front skid plate doesn't leave room for the the wheels to steer.

4 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I like where you are headed with this.  One thing I noticed though, your front skid plate doesn't leave room for the the wheels to steer.

Thanks. You are correct! I knew something didn't look right. I'll pull it and trim it.

Not a very special update to my '51 Bel Air, but minor progress at least. I fabricated those small "supports" or whatever they might be called to the seat. Now the driver and co-driver are not going to slide around on the seat while cornering. At least some of the old Stock Cars had these on their bench seats.

P1207653-vi.jpg

Also the engine got a bit of black wash. Next step will be working on the intake and exhaust area, and add spark plug wires...

P1207654-vi.jpg

P1207655-vi.jpg

P1207656-vi.jpg

My parts are starting to roll in, a rack from a Sambar, cooler from a Rambler, some bags and a hard case from shapeways.  I didn't want to over tire the car and these Bronco wheels from Fireball are perfect, not too big or too aggressively treaded. He also makes a spare that is molded open, it'll look great on the rack.

image.jpg

I'm finally making some progress on the Beetle. There was no way I could make the tires I posted last time work so I bit the bullet and bought an old set of American Satco Bridgestones off Ebay. They're much better than before but I've only got four so I'm going to have to get creative with a spare. I've lifted it about four scale inches and completely removed the running boards. I'm thinking about using the right hand drive dash since the kit only comes with wipers for that version. The wheels are ancient MRC Cragar SS's thst just happened to fit the tires. I had really wanted to run Jackman wide fives but they aren't available in resin anymore but the Cragars are equally 70's looking.

20190203_213932.thumb.jpg.45153a98b497a4427aa2d759d779a1d3.jpg20190203_213953.thumb.jpg.46d71876d3ce2779fad68c785b9e4770.jpg20190203_214020.thumb.jpg.7ddfb50bc69b926b9044c00c635f5166.jpg20190203_214040.thumb.jpg.9785222e1a294028e223144c9c0e05ff.jpg

Hey Gang. I got the Tiger painted (mostly, hood needed more work) and here are some quick pics.

Still got touch-ups and some trim to add.

Tow chain looks big in the pic but its more perspective than oversize. I may just drop it in the trunk. Got more junk to put in there anyway.

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Front.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mock-up Interior.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Rear.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Trunk.jpg

I really enjoy unusual or at least, less popular forms of auto racing. I decided a while back to do at least one model of each of my favorite types of racer. So far I have done a drift car and a La Carrrera Panamericana racer, and now the P2P racer. Some of my other plans are land speed (salt flats), banger racing, baja, hill climb (Pikes Peak), historical rally, auto-cross (pro-touring), and even the 24hrs of LeMons. Undoubtedly I will add more as they peak my interest.

My thought here as I plan, is that maybe there is sufficient interest in these other racing cars that we could continue this CBP as a racing series, much as I have with the Cannonball Run CBP, which started its 12th year now.

We could perhaps throw out some ideas for our theme after this build off wraps, then vote on them and continue. But only if there is sufficient interest. I'm gonna build these racers. Eventually. Ya'll are welcome to join in.

Let me know whatcha think.

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 weeks later...

So Ive been pretty quite of late, mostly due to a nasty Lime Scooter accident I had back in early Januray, (not my fault, wheel locked & threw me off at 25kph) I ended up with a fractured shoulder & tears in my tendons, basically left me left handed for the last 6 weeks, which is not easy when youve spent a lifetime doing everything with your right!. So since then Ive not been able to do much modelling, & have only just managed to get back into a little bit with a bit more movement from my arm now. Below are some pics of where I got too. I'd painted the body the base colour over Christmas & added the red shortly after, still decals to add etc. This one is up on my bench now after finishing off another build I had almost finished, so hopefully more updates to come.

IMG_2563.thumb.JPG.07546010b7db0ae4dd1c2f838f5e63a8.JPG

IMG_2433.thumb.JPG.4ca91f9da513c5185862135bc06ada3b.JPG

I designed up the livery i wanted & cut some vinyl masks

IMG_2539.thumb.JPG.272bc27cc13f413ffc9121a825297bdb.JPGIMG_2540.thumb.JPG.4cc72c7b4735835108bb68878cfb0305.JPGIMG_2541.thumb.JPG.90b0ec690ed18dc3e81583728253a26e.JPGIMG_2542.thumb.JPG.bd85c69228b427eb9150bb7d425777fa.JPGIMG_2543.thumb.JPG.f549bcf7332f8a72f8865d3cfd43cdea.JPGIMG_2544.thumb.JPG.9020e4c033ca26c30016c65795a7b3be.JPGIMG_2545.thumb.JPG.521da3d643c7760b99e793556de6e388.JPGIMG_2546.thumb.JPG.7f1b36b434214501cb327e41a749b500.JPG

Still abit to do to tidy the body up but pretty happy with it overall so far.

Ash