Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

Pat, this green thing has become a habit, and I do appreciate it. :D Ash, she's looking good. 

Well I'm finally back a the bench. The roof rack was really throwing me for a loop. It's a centerpiece of the build and I really didn't want to half-asp it. But I have got if figured out. When I'm stumped on a design issue, I avoid the bench until I've got it figured out. I thought for a while of just strapping down a tire on the hood like you see on the 1:1 racers, but who knows what the tire material would do to the paint and plastic over time. So I had to come up with a rack that wouldn't look out of place on a '51 Chevy. One would think there would be all sorts of JC Whitney examples from the time frame, but not so much. And of the few I have found they certainly don't look like they could stand up to the P2P. 

More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

On 2/8/2019 at 7:28 AM, MeatMan said:

Hey Gang. I got the Tiger painted (mostly, hood needed more work) and here are some quick pics.

Still got touch-ups and some trim to add.

Tow chain looks big in the pic but its more perspective than oversize. I may just drop it in the trunk. Got more junk to put in there anyway.

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Front.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mock-up Interior.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Rear.jpg

Tiger Post Paint Mockup Trunk.jpg

Everything here is looking great, except that chain. It is just not to scale. It looks like something off an aircraft carrier instead of something found to recover a Sunbeam.

I found this chain at Hobby Lobby and it is much better scale fit for 1/25-1/24 scale cars and trucks. I have used it as chain in my P2P car and on a log truck I did.

Give it a shot, I think it will look much better.

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

I don't have a car in this build, but have seen this 1958 Morris Oxford running around town twice this week in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand.

This car has completed the 2013 Peking to Paris rally, the 2015 Trans America Challenge, and the 2016 Rally of the Incas.

It ships out for China at the end of the month, hope to have a chat with the owner if I run into him.

https://graveltravel.nz/home/

P90305-135125.jpg

6 hours ago, RevDWC said:

I don't have a car in this build, but have seen this 1958 Morris Oxford running around town twice this week in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand.

This car has completed the 2013 Peking to Paris rally, the 2015 Trans America Challenge, and the 2016 Rally of the Incas.

It ships out for China at the end of the month, hope to have a chat with the owner if I run into him.

That's awesome. Thanks for posting it. I'm sure thats a well tuned machine.

15 hours ago, RevDWC said:

Thats Awesome! Good to see a Kiwi Car entering all over the world!

Ok, I'm way behind most of you guys, but my Porsche hit a rock!!  Here is the story line so far.  I was crossing a stream in western Mongolia and went into a water cross a little to fast and hit a partially submerged rock.  It collapsed the left front suspension and bent up the lower valence pretty bad.  I will be getting a tow out of the stream by my other car the Alfa.  :blink::lol:  Ok, I have a long way to go, but at least I am started now. 

fender.jpg

Okay, loooks like I'm finally gonna get some painting weather this week, starting tomorrow. Yesterday was a nice clear and warm-ish day, the wind started to die down, so I get all my parts together for some primer, opened the door and it was snowing. :huh: In any case. I'm finally got my roof rack respectable looking. I've got the tool boxes, jerry cans, and crates started. Pics soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally have some progress to show. The roof rack held me up for a while, this is the third one I've designed and built, and I finally think this one looks vintage enough to belong on the racer.

The other part is the behind the seats stowage. Working on the spare tire now. I'm having trouble drilling the lug nuts.

40598024283_cdefe5f1e6_z.jpg

32621481497_81eb331167_z.jpg

32621485477_dc2ccd1787_z.jpg

33687123058_bc69456e43_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Spring folks. Here's something cool that will be competing in this years upcoming P2P.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/02/17/3-wheeler-being-readied-for-race-it-couldnt-finish-in-1907/

The field is set for the upcoming rally. Everything from a brass era touring car (possibly steam powered) to a Jensen Interceptor. I'm going to fire off some emails to find out if there will be any coverage of the rally this year. I'll keep you posted.

https://www.endurorally.com/events/the-7th-peking-to-paris-motor-challenge/

• 3 weeks later...

So, Ive bee a tad quite here recently, I have run into some pain problems. Shortly after painting I noticed a few little cracks had appeared in the red. Next day the whole thing was cracked! Havent been sure what to do, though t might weather it or start again.

Had some renewed interest in this project as I'm currently preparing some signage for one of the vehicles from New Zealand!

Anyway here are some pics, let me know what you reckon I should do. I've also painted parts of the interior & seperated the 3 carbs ready for the engine

Ash

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

10 hours ago, da_ashman said:

So, Ive bee a tad quite here recently, I have run into some pain problems. Shortly after painting I noticed a few little cracks had appeared in the red. Next day the whole thing was cracked! Havent been sure what to do, though t might weather it or start again.

Had some renewed interest in this project as I'm currently preparing some signage for one of the vehicles from New Zealand!

Anyway here are some pics, let me know what you reckon I should do. I've also painted parts of the interior & seperated the 3 carbs ready for the engine

Ash

Sorry to hear about your problem. I recently had a similar problem with a paint job, not like that but it req'd a redo.

You might try sanding it down to see how deep the cracks go. Otherwise, it looks like a redo is in order. Good luck Ash.