Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

Oooo, not good!  Sorry to see that happen.  Been there done that.  Those kind of cracks are almost always have to do with under thinning and too much paint all at once.  Not so much temp and humidity.  Sanding it down may work, but I've always stripped and started over when that happens.  I don't like the risk of it continuing to crack after sanding.  Clear coat seem to have a high chance of that happening. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Guys I really have to apologize for being an absentee moderator for this build off. Things have been so busy on the farm lately that I haven't touched my model bench in a month or more. I'm usually much better at staying engaged and keeping people motivated and interested. It's just a bad year for modeling on the Mattis homestead.

Dennis, as a whole the Tiger looks terrific. Spot on captures the P2P racer. But the exhaust is very low. Remember that 1mm = 1scale inch. Using that, your exhaust seems like it's nearly a foot or more, lower than the frame of the car. This is an off road race. I don't think those pipes would last long.

10 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Dennis, as a whole the Tiger looks terrific. Spot on captures the P2P racer. But the exhaust is very low. Remember that 1mm = 1scale inch. Using that, your exhaust seems like it's nearly a foot or more, lower than the frame of the car. This is an off road race. I don't think those pipes would last long.

Yeah, I know Rob. That is the stock config and they were the last parts to go on the chassis.  I would need to heat and then bend them up to clear, so I'll take the ding on those rather than do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a set of the MRC Goodyear tires I'd been looking for so I bit the bullet and got them. I didn't really like the all terrain tires on the front of the beetle, these street tires give it much more of a pre-runner look.

20190621_184922.thumb.jpg.e0dd995a92faf4bc2706d21636a3db7c.jpg

Hey guys! Must apologise for my lack of updates & comments, I’ve recently had some major changes to home life, quit my job, started studying & started part-time employment. All of which has had to take priority over my Model building, but have managed to get a bit of bench time to work on my P2P racer. I’ve mostly been working on the extra stuff & roof racks. I also decided to weather my build & enhance my paint job failure... 

So here’s a bunch of pics of my updates!

loving the Bug & Tiger!! Really looking good!

076A704D-23AB-4F5F-8733-16641384FEF6.jpeg

A3B3E1E5-A0E3-4729-A994-F7C365734262.jpeg

F7629199-3196-438D-8F0B-B605649BFC41.jpeg

720C18D9-A6AB-4A45-9B76-AA4E8F6BCAB4.jpeg

1E6855D7-A96B-492B-B6FF-E4F123794293.jpeg

4E3D4D03-C89D-4A3F-B0F4-3138FE1856D4.jpeg

757748EE-5EBE-42CC-92D4-77BEF2BC6A19.jpeg

7FC9E7B0-831C-401F-A5D7-405833523BAB.jpeg

6CA017D1-4E65-447E-B1D9-53648EADA5A2.jpeg

6487C52C-3D09-4A05-8E28-510C5278ECB7.jpeg

8905B523-68AE-4108-B196-FD6AFC353092.jpeg

67C6B051-8F58-4654-B5A2-B4F001D73243.jpeg

8C923D31-5F9F-415B-B35D-F77BC26D5CA5.jpeg

11184167-F55B-4570-A486-58ABAA44B331.jpeg

13F2D790-2D34-427F-97DA-D20B3AC5121B.jpeg

That's looking good. I like it.

I've decided to remove the deadline for this CBP. Things have been way too busy on the farm this spring and yesterday was my first bench time in months. I'm sure there are others in the same situation. Since this isn't a contest likek the Cannonball CBP, I don't see a point to keeping the deadline.

Build on fellas.

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

I've decided to remove the deadline for this CBP. Things have been way too busy on the farm this spring and yesterday was my first bench time in months. I'm sure there are others in the same situation. Since this isn't a contest likek the Cannonball CBP, I don't see a point to keeping the deadline.

Build on fellas.

Thanks!  Until I read this, I was about to post that I'd have to decline!  I've been way too busy lately with my new job and am in Seattle this week!  July looks like a lot of travel too!

Edited by Tom Geiger

15 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Build on fellas.

Ok, well if you are going to do that then I am reprinting my decal badges to the 2020 date!  I should be done by then.??

8 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Ok, well if you are going to do that then I am reprinting my decal badges to the 2020 date!  I should be done by then.??

You are welcome to do so, but the real P2P is only run every three years or so. So like as not the P2P won't be run next year. I can only imagine the logistics that have to go with something like this.

16 hours ago, Jantrix said:

You are welcome to do so, but the real P2P is only run every three years or so. So like as not the P2P won't be run next year. I can only imagine the logistics that have to go with something like this.

Didn't realize that!  I was wondering why there were gaps in the photos.  Never occured to me that it wasn't run annually. 

13 hours ago, alexis said:

Thanks from me too. What with a death in the Family and Home Reno, it has been a very busy year.

Sorry to hear about your loss. But I know about a busy year. Two years ago we made the decision to leave Florida for the less hectic lifestyle in Boise, Idaho. Next week my parents (70's) will be joining us after nearly 40 years in Florida. Getting them settled here will be a chore. Also, in December I will welcome my first grandchild. Add the endless chores of the farm, and it's likely I won't finish my P2P racer this year.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:37 AM, Jantrix said:

Build on fellas.

Well having lost my modelling space for a few months this is good news I will get it done once I get a desk back...