Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

Who are you sourcing you seats through? I am right at the start with this and have a list of things to source or build and I am new to this world of cars so its a big learning curve, and its hard (and expensive) to find aftermarket products down here.

Edited by Kiwi_Bloke
Added "down here" for clarity

5 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

Who are you sourcing you seats through? I am right at the start with this and have a list of things to source or build and I am new to this world of cars so its a big learning curve, and its hard (and expensive) to find aftermarket products down here.

The Parts Box is based in Australia. Closest thing I know of to NZ.

https://www.thepartsbox.com/shop/

This is going to be an international build for me.  I got mud tyres(their spelling not mine) from Spot model in Spain, the K&N filters are from Shapeways(USA) and the models are Japanese(Hasegawa and Tamiya).  I actually need to get this going. 

5 hours ago, Jantrix said:

The Parts Box is based in Australia. Closest thing I know of to NZ.

https://www.thepartsbox.com/shop/

Thanks for that, I am looking at BNA in Australia, they stock the Parts Box stuff (or some of it anyway) and have a good reputation over here. The Parts Box Web site is a little frustrating with some details around wheels and Tyres lacking but still worth a try.

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

This is going to be an international build for me.  I got mud tyres(their spelling not mine) from Spot model in Spain, the K&N filters are from Shapeways(USA) and the models are Japanese(Hasegawa and Tamiya).  I actually need to get this going. 

I am looking at the same seat set but buying from BNA in Australia, I will buy a few things from them I think (seats, fire extinguisher, maybe external air filter) 

I will be interested in your opinion of the Spot Models tyres (correct English spelling :-) ) as i am looking at 13" wheels & tyres from them but very expensive in NZ Dollars + freight.

I think most model builds these days are "United Nations" mine is a German car (Opel GT) from a U.S. kit (AMT) manufactured in China, with Chinese seats (most likely) and an Australian fire extinguisher and thats just the start.

3 hours ago, Kiwi_Bloke said:

I am looking at the same seat set but buying from BNA in Australia, I will buy a few things from them I think (seats, fire extinguisher, maybe external air filter) 

I will be interested in your opinion of the Spot Models tyres (correct English spelling :-) ) as i am looking at 13" wheels & tyres from them but very expensive in NZ Dollars + freight.

I think most model builds these days are "United Nations" mine is a German car (Opel GT) from a U.S. kit (AMT) manufactured in China, with Chinese seats (most likely) and an Australian fire extinguisher and thats just the start.

I live in Canada and I buy from BNA all the time (usually from their Ebay store, but its the same place) even with shipping to Canada from Australia the prices are reasonable and shipping times are about 12-14 days. Plus they carry a wide range of stuff. Hobby Design seats are great and the Eduard PE seat belt sets are awesome, that's what I'm using in my Mustang. 

13 hours ago, Swifster said:

Well, I found my '53 Studebaker.  I have my decals and an idea on painting the car. The La Carrera Panamericana race cars are my inspiration. This should be fun...

Tom I have built a Carrera Panamericana Studebaker. It would not work for this race, but if you'd like to see it I can PM you?

On the subject of my current racer. I'm in get everything painted mode. I wanted to get my ride height permanently set,  before I alter the wheel openings. As for body color,  I'm gonna keep it simple.  I think someone whos building a real car for this race would assume,  the car is gonna get messed up over 5500 miles, and use whatever is laying around. 

20181229_070121.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

14 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Tom I have built a Carrera Panamericana Studebaker. It would not work for this race, but if you'd like to see it I can PM you?

Absolutely!

I'm looking the Mexican road race cars as inspiration only, especially the cars that raced in the 1950's. I'm not sure if I'm going to 'lift' this car. Many of the cars are left at or near stock ride height. I've also seen where spare tires were mounted right to the roof. There was no rack. Dare I say I think they were bolted to the roof... I'm trying to get a good photograph for a Studebaker oil bath air cleaner to put on the little 232 V8. Lots of thinking...    

Now that everyone is back from the holidays, work on the Tiger is back on track. Since I didn't have to bail anyone out of jail this year we worked all night to get the chassis done.

We changed out the front brakes to larger rotors and 4 piston calipers. We also added larger rear drum brakes from a Mustang.

We also decided to go with bullet style glasspack mufflers because they are so sturdy, and they hook up directly to the headers. I just hope they aren't too loud.

Finally, we added some skid plates to protect the front suspension and the driveshaft.

Tiger Chassis Completed.jpg

Tiger Chassis 2.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

11 hours ago, MeatMan said:

We also decided to go with bullet style glasspack mufflers because they are so sturdy, and they hook up directly to the headers. I just hope they aren't too loud.

Hmm. Pretty sure loud exhaust is a jailable offense in Russia. :D

OK well since my Contest entry on TRaK forum is finished, I'm starting to work on my '51 Bel Air for this CBP. Now I've been looking at the rules more closely, and I have a couple of things that I want to clarify.

-The rules clearly say that the engine must be same technology as what was available when the car was used (but it doesn't have to be stock). I get that. But, I read the "Car Preparation Guide" document. There was writing about electric ignition over mechanical ignition. So am I right that we can use any modern (Like MSD for example), ignition system on our cars anyway?

-This is basically the same, but also fuel system can be modernized by late model aftermarket fuel filters? And how about a fuel pump? Can we use an electric pump or do we have to go with the stock one?

Otherwise I think there is nothing special about the rules. Building a roll cage for my '51 is starting Now.:D

4 hours ago, W-409 said:

-The rules clearly say that the engine must be same technology as what was available when the car was used (but it doesn't have to be stock). I get that. But, I read the "Car Preparation Guide" document. There was writing about electric ignition over mechanical ignition. So am I right that we can use any modern (Like MSD for example), ignition system on our cars anyway?

-This is basically the same, but also fuel system can be modernized by late model aftermarket fuel filters? And how about a fuel pump? Can we use an electric pump or do we have to go with the stock one?

Yes, you can use an electronic ignition. However that document points out the mechanical is easier to repair should it be necessary during the race.

I see nothing in that document that would restrict modern fuel filters or fuel pumps. 

Edited by Jantrix

On 1/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, Oldmopars said:

I love the collection of stuff. Looking great. I hope you opened the trunk so we can all see it in there.

I doubt you will. What I bought as 1:24 is waaaay bigger. The suitcases are hard to verify  as "samsonite" suitcases come in many sizes and so do "Doctor's bags".Check the jerry can, the red one is 1:25. A NATO can is19x14x6.5 inches. The red one is 18x14x6 mm.which is very close..The green one is 29x20x10 mm. 

IMG_8321.JPG.6d30c04a90135726e0322605bb5cb244.JPG

IMG_8322.JPG.249207037fb1f8692ebd28da8d6e4123.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG.c33abb6890039f6f669f01b4147fef60.JPG

Edited by landman

8 minutes ago, landman said:

I doubt you will. What I bought as 1:24 is waaaay bigger. The suitcases are hard to verify  as "samsonite" suitcases come in many sizes and so do "Doctor's bags".Check the jerry can, the red one is 1:25. A NATO can is19x14x6.5 inches. The red one is 18x14x6 mm.which is very close..The green one is 29x20x10 mm. 

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8323.jpg

I love the gas cans, but do you need them? I've not noticed any pics of cars carrying them. My understanding is the stages are measured out between stations as I've seen pics and videos of the cars mid stage filling up at gas stations (which also become hopspots for locals to get some photos of the cars). Also there are the ERA support trucks which I assume carry gas if needed.

43 minutes ago, landman said:

IMG_8321.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8323.jpg

After paint would be hard to do. And I found that the hinges I made restricted the placement of stuff in the trunk. It is still cool stuff you have there. You could always display it beside the car, as if it is getting ready to be loaded.