Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris Rally CBP

Jantrix

1 hour ago, 426 pack said:

Ok here is another question. Can I run duall rear tires? 245D770A-7874-466C-A95D-7F8FD81B20CD.thumb.jpeg.24a03780c60b5c04dca8242145319710.jpegI have read through the rules and can’t find anything saying I can’t do this but just to be sure I will see what you guys think. 

Cale, I'd say no. I've not seen it done on any other car in my research as of yet. I'm guessing if it was allowed someone would have done it. I could be wrong tho.

6 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Would it be ok to run just two roof rack rails like this?

811E1E76-6054-432E-B17B-2D4D63BFD72C.jpeg

I'd say you're good on this one. One of the Mustangs from 2016 (might be '13) had the same rack with it's spares attached. I'll see if I can find the pic to upload.

Here's a link, 2013 P2P rally.

https://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/car-96/G0000mTRFOcDC62c/I0000NthZcqehnt4/C0000OEVfJg0NdjU

https://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/car-96/G0000mTRFOcDC62c/I00008hIRGmSxBU8/C0000OEVfJg0NdjU

Edited by Jhedir6

On 2018-11-13 at 1:52 PM, Jantrix said:

I do not know whay it was allowed to race, as I've been unable to find the actual rules for 2013. Most likely it was an oversight by whomever wrote the rules for 2013. In 2016, they definitely made sure it was made ineligible.

I know this is a bit old, but it seems they ran a couple "off road" vehicles in 2013. The Chevy C10, there's another pick up https://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/car-67/G0000twWYwZY2n2s/I0000pcnEDL_z_iQ/C0000OEVfJg0NdjU and what looks like a Toyota Land Cruiser https://gerardbrown.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/car-86/G0000TmosknprlL0/I0000f7D4rpfR.jY/C0000OEVfJg0NdjU

15 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Would it be ok to run just two roof rack rails like this?

Yes. Those are perfect.

13 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm going to be building something similar to this for the Beetle but from metal to meet the rules.

The metal rule is for the real racers. We build cars from plastic. :D  

10 hours ago, 426 pack said:

Ok here is another question. Can I run duall rear tires? I have read through the rules and can’t find anything saying I can’t do this but just to be sure I will see what you guys think. 

As I said before, if the rules create a question on whats allowable please refer to references from real P2P race cars. These are moderately modified passenger cars, not baja racers. Lets try to stick to the spirit of this rally.

So.....no.

12 hours ago, FredRPG said:

I didn't get very far last time I tried to finish for cannonball, but I'm going to give this a shot.  I had plans to redo this Rambler I built 30 years ago as a Carrera-Panamerica car so this fits right in.  I'll go with #62 if it's still available.

You are in!

2 hours ago, Harpo said:

I was also contemplating dual rear wheels on my 1931 RR.  I haven't researched P2P vehicles, but there is sort of a precedent in the 1914 armored RR from WWI:

ac2.jpg.1e960a27f54b5e38881373a7340e737e.jpg

:lol: Doesn't pass the "no military vehicle" test!

Edited by Pete J.

On 3.12.2018 at 1:58 AM, Pete J. said:

To all who requested them, the decals are in the mail.  With the exception of Jhedir6 and W409 you should have them by the end of the week.  The envelops may look like junk mail but in the return address they have "Peking to Paris Decals"  so keep an eye out for them.  For Niko and David, I have no idea how long it will take to get to you.  Finland and Canada deliver on their own schedules. 

That sounds good, thanks! Usually it takes around one week, but now as we have our Independence Day here in Finland, it might take a bit longer as all of the post offices are closed. But good to hear that they are coming, I'll need to keep a close eye on the mailbox. :P

While my current project (that has deadline by the end of the year), a contest entry on another forum was drying, I thought I'd start working on this one. So I dug the '51 Chevy out of the closet and it looked just as I remembered. The plan is not to fix all of the body damage, so that it looks like it has been "used" in previous rallies, too.

PB287274-vi.jpg

PB287276-vi.jpg

PB287277-vi.jpg

PB287278-vi.jpg

Taking the old builtup apart was actually a lot easier than I thought. And most of the parts came off as one piece, which is always a great bonus when working with these old "Glue Bombs". Now most of the parts are in paint stripping so that the actual building process can start. The body looks like it was brush painted with enamel paints, so the paint should come off pretty easily.

PB287280-vi.jpg

2 hours ago, W-409 said:

While my current project (that has deadline by the end of the year), a contest entry on another forum was drying, I thought I'd start working on this one. So I dug the '51 Chevy out of the closet and it looked just as I remembered. The plan is not to fix all of the body damage, so that it looks like it has been "used" in previous rallies, too.

Taking the old builtup apart was actually a lot easier than I thought. And most of the parts came off as one piece, which is always a great bonus when working with these old "Glue Bombs". Now most of the parts are in paint stripping so that the actual building process can start. The body looks like it was brush painted with enamel paints, so the paint should come off pretty easily.

PB287280-vi.jpg

Cool!

17 hours ago, Harpo said:

I was also contemplating dual rear wheels on my 1931 RR.  I haven't researched P2P vehicles, but there is sort of a precedent in the 1914 armored RR from WWI:

Which is clearly some sort of truck. Not a passenger vehicle.

35 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

Which is clearly some sort of truck. Not a passenger vehicle.

Nope, they're definitely cars, they were built on the RR 40/50 engine/chassis.  The only mods were the dual rears (on some), extra spring leaves, and of course the bodies.  The rest of the car is completely stock.  I'll grant you there's not much difference between cars and trucks in this era, but RR never built trucks. 

These were used from 1914 to 1944, below is a pic from 1918 of one with less modifications.  Passenger is T.E. Lawrence, aka "Lawrence of Arabia"  He was a major advocate for use of these cars in combat.

So, do I get to use dual rear wheels? :)

5c07e6f1e9a62_1918BlueMistLawrenceofArabia.jpg.fc46e7747d50631d94f69ec15ca5617c.jpg

Edited by Harpo

3 minutes ago, Harpo said:

Nope, they're definitely cars, they were built on the RR 40/50 engine/chassis.  The only mods were the dual rears (on some), extra spring leaves, and of course the bodies.  The rest of the car is completely stock.  They were used from 1914 to 1944, below is a pic from 1918 of one with less modifications.  Passenger is T.E. Lawrence, aka "Lawrence of Arabia"  He was a major advocate for use of these cars in combat.

Very well. But I think we'll nix the dual rear wheels for the purposes of this rally.

Would it be best post P2P "in progress" here or under the regular On the Workbench forum?
I really like how MeatMan makes a story of his build, but it could easily get lost in this forum, suggestions?

Edited by LouO

50 minutes ago, LouO said:

Would it be best post P2P "in progress" here or under the regular On the Workbench forum?
I really like how MeatMan makes a story of his build, but it could easily get lost in this forum, suggestions?

You are free to create a workbench thread for your build, but please keep this thread up to date at the same time. After many CBP's I've found that maintaining the original thread is vital to maintaining participants interest in the project. Seeing others work keeps me motivated and I don't always have time to peruse the whole forum. I suspect it is the same for others.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:58 AM, Harpo said:

Nope, they're definitely cars, they were built on the RR 40/50 engine/chassis.  The only mods were the dual rears (on some), extra spring leaves, and of course the bodies.  The rest of the car is completely stock.  I'll grant you there's not much difference between cars and trucks in this era, but RR never built trucks. 

These were used from 1914 to 1944, below is a pic from 1918 of one with less modifications.  Passenger is T.E. Lawrence, aka "Lawrence of Arabia"  He was a major advocate for use of these cars in combat.

So, do I get to use dual rear wheels? :)

5c07e6f1e9a62_1918BlueMistLawrenceofArabia.jpg.fc46e7747d50631d94f69ec15ca5617c.jpg

I have to agree with Rob.  Still doesn't meet rule 7.1- " They must be of a type designed to carry passengers with either a saloon or sports bodywork, estate cars (station wagons) are not acceptable. Commercial or military vehicles such as light trucks, vans, ambulances, pick-ups and utility 4x4 vehicles are not eligible."  This may have started life as a civilian vehicle made by a civilian auto company but it is clearly modified for military use.  Rolls-Royce has build a large amount of military equipment over the years as they are one of the preeminent engineering companies in the UK.  The fact that it has a RR badge on it wouldn't automatically qualify it for this rally.

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

I have to agree with Rob.  Still doesn't meet rule 7.1- " They must be of a type designed to carry passengers with either a saloon or sports bodywork, estate cars (station wagons) are not acceptable. Commercial or military vehicles such as light trucks, vans, ambulances, pick-ups and utility 4x4 vehicles are not eligible."  This may have started life as a civilian vehicle made by a civilian auto company but it is clearly modified for military use.  Rolls-Royce has build a large amount of military equipment over the years as they are one of the preeminent engineering companies in the UK.  The fact that it has a RR badge on it wouldn't automatically qualify it for this rally.

I've never intended to build the military or armored version, my only question was about dual rear wheels.  My entry will be a 1931 RR Phantom II, most definitively a passenger car. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:40 AM, LouO said:

Hey Lou, Pat already started posting his in the workbench forum so have at it. I might do the same but I'm so irregular with my posts so I didn't yet.

So, I have posted a few pictures before , but I have made some more progress. My 1941 Plymouth. The engine is a 1941 Desoto 242, because it looks just like the Plymouth engine and has a lot more horse power. I have added a roof rack, made some sleeping bags, tarp and tool box. I made 2 spare tires as well.

On several of the P2P cars from this era, I have seen that they removed the trunk lid and replaced it with one made out of canvas(nylon). So, I did the same thing. I took the stock trunk lid, after cutting it from the car, and added some ribs to simulate the construction of the ones I saw. Then I covered it with fabric to give it the right look. I have painted it black now.

Wheels and tires are from the AMT rescue van, they have been widened to better fit the wheels. I will be building the van for the Cannonball and it does not need the wheels or tires. A nice forum member gave me an extra set of the rear tires so I have 4.

The interior is done. I have added a center console to hold the SAT phone and shifter. The trans if a Tremic 5 speed from a Mustang/Thunderbird. Seats are out of a Plymouth Prowler, steering wheel is from the parts box. Roll bar is from the 57 Ford I think. I removed the rear seat from the interior to allow for more storage and to save weight.

Suspension has been raised to allow for the new tires and give more travel over rough roads. Skid plates will be added later. Fenders have been trimmed and the running boards removed for clearance also.

First picture is the inspiration for the color choice. I have had to redo the paint, the first time had some bad spots and was not smooth. I have corrected that.

1941-plymouth-special-deluxe-dsf.jpg

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

On 12/8/2018 at 5:17 PM, Oldmopars said:

On several of the P2P cars from this era, I have seen that they removed the trunk lid and replaced it with one made out of canvas(nylon). So, I did the same thing. I took the stock trunk lid, after cutting it from the car, and added some ribs to simulate the construction of the ones I saw. Then I covered it with fabric to give it the right look. I have painted it black now.

My original choice for this rally was the '41 Plymouth. I'm happy now that I changed my mind, because our builds would have ended up looking terribly similar.

On 12/9/2018 at 9:07 AM, Oldmopars said:

Here are the cars that I have found with the same type trunk lid. So it is more than one, and clearly OK by the rules. Maybe it is for weight savings?

Yes indeed. That and excessively hogging out the wheel wells like the '39 in the photo above are purely for weight savings. It's a smart move because most of these racers have had quite a lot of weight added in the form of chassis/suspension/handling improvements that the weight needs to be reduced elsewhere. 

01.jpg

Back to the subject of luggage racks, has anyone thought about this one from the AMT '65 Lincoln? I'm thinking real hard about adding it to the trunk of my '51 Fleetline.

Edited by Jantrix

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

My original choice for this rally was the '41 Plymouth. I'm happy not that I changed my mind, because our builds would have ended up looking terribly similar.

Yes indeed. That and excessively hogging out the wheel wells like the '39 in the photo above are purely for weight savings. It's a smart move because most of these racers have had quite a lot of weight added in the form of chassis/suspension/handling improvements that the weight needs to be reduced elsewhere. 

01.jpg

Back to the subject of luggage racks, has anyone thought about this one from the AMT '65 Lincoln? I'm thinking real hard about adding it to the trunk of my '51 Fleetline.

The porsche I choose has the roof rack.  I am going to have to scratch one up for the Alfa. Image result for fujimi model porsche safari