Model Cars Magazine Forum

Joey's Shell/Pennzoil 2018 Ford Fusion ( wip)

martinfan5

From Ace Decals, is Joey's 2017/2018 Shell/Pennzoil decals, just released about a week ago ,  I am still not 100% what yellow I am going to use,  but I am leaning towards Pennzoil Yellow as I think that is what the teams is using,  I did reach out to Penske racing to verify but they never responded back.

44885433914_a1abe98c2a_c.jpg

So what I have done so fa?r, let's take a look , all chassis bits have already been paint with Chassis Grey from Promax SEM paint.

Some of the missing roll bars, the upside down V are ones that are missing that I added

43792401370_58e5d1d443_c.jpg

I added the second vertical bar to the halo bar

43792401260_5ff9c49e61_c.jpg

The Ford FR9, painted using a few different Metalizer paints and Primer black from Mr Color, and I added the plug wires. The Ford decals on the valve covers are from Powerslide decals

44885434094_1fcf24f54c_c.jpg

The seat, the leg braces have been added, and then the entire seat was painted once again using Mr Surfacer Black, and the the exterior was painted in graphite type of color.

43792401140_68f3ab9a3c_c.jpg

And the chassis, the molded in fuel was removed and I a new set made of round stock was added and move to a more accurate spot that Penske Racing runs them at( I believe)

44885434264_318c8a9a91_c.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Let's see what else I have done ,

The tires and wheels, the tires, using decals from Powerslide Decals, decals on the bare tires followed by a couple coats of Tamiya flat clear, they are a bit too shiny , even did a coat of dullcoat from Testors, might have to just go back to only using Dullcoat.
45639107751_fcbf4c6cec_c.jpg
Here is how I lower the rear suspension, first, while not the actual part that lowers it, the shocks , here you can see that I cut the shock shaft free, and then hollowed out the cylinder, I also shortened the shaft just a bit
31766797208_778d90096f_c.jpg
And now the shocks are ready for the new ride height( its adjustable right now)
43821225850_47c808c5e0_c.jpg
And the springs, I just cut a little off the top, and that lowers the rear end, I always need to add in shim or too.
31766797138_51fcb4e5cd_c.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Lets take a look at what I have done so far, the chassis, getting there, on the drivers side, I added the piece of padding that is between the driver and the left side roll cage.
44756509955_532cf02a65_b.jpg
44756509855_435c1b2e61_b.jpg
Rear axle set up pretty much done at this point, the trailing arms were brush painted with Model Master Metalizer Exhaust, the rear axle was painted Mr Surfacer Black, the wheel backs Metalizer Brunt Metal.
31798372488_fa10a61d68_b.jpg[/url]
Now this is how I lower the front the suspension, and this is the hardest part about lowering it , first, I start with the wheel backs, I cut out a notch the width of the spindle.
43852683830_011b7dffc8_b.jpg
And then I glue the wheel back directly to the spindle, but I move them up on the spindle a bit, and the result should be something like this, lowered ride height.
31837223528_bac2b0c0d3_b.jpg

I was all set to get the body painted tonight, and that is when I found out my compressor is not working, and seeing how I am going to use air brush ready paint, I wont be able to get this painted for bit why I either try and get mine working or get a new one ordered.   I have a sad face right now.

Edited by martinfan5

On 11/17/2018 at 1:13 PM, Devilsnake98 said:

It looks like the red sections all matched up ok, how is the fit on those large red decals? Did they need much modification? 

The fit was really good,  there are the three separate decals that need to all be aligned ,  the only mods I made was cutting a slit in a few different areas to help them settle down better,  decal setting can only do so much.

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

The fit was really good,  there are the three separate decals that need to all be aligned ,  the only mods I made was cutting a slit in a few different areas to help them settle down better,  decal setting can only do so much.

That's good to know, I just picked up this decal sheet and the revell #10 as the donor. I'm gonna try and add the round of 4 playoff colors and markings on mine.