Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Model Factory Hiro 1979 Ferrari 512 BB LM #61 EMKA & #63 3M Double Build

Italianhorses

DISCLAIMER:

These kits have been started in 2008 before my accident. Everything that you see in the first few posts will be the work I have completed before the project was shelved. I’m attempting to resurrect the build and hopefully complete these at some point soon, just don’t know if I’m still in shape to actually do it, but what the heck.

===================================

The 1979 24 Hours of Le Mans was the 47th Grand Prix of Endurance, and took place on June 9 and 10, 1979. Ferrari had no chance against mighty Porsches and new BMW M1s, but it did enter several cars in competition. It was Beurlys 512BB LM #61 "EMKA" with its screaming 4.9L Flat-12 driven by Nick Faure, Steve O'Rourke, Bernard de Dryver, and Jean Blaton that showed 12 overall result having completed 274 laps. Today I will build this car in 1:24th, using multimedia kit from Model Factory Hiro.

I will be another double-build. The second car will be JMS Racing/Pozzi #63 3M "Cloud Car", which unfortunately DNF after completing 219 laps. Here are couple of pictures of the real cars:

512BBLM61LM7901.jpg

512BBLM3M01.jpg

The kits are usual MFH detail tour de force, with lots of white metal, turned aluminum and steel, and photoetch. Body is half resin half metal, and lots of other materials used for various parts of the kit as well. I started with cleaning the bodies, but as with all MFH kits, the process will be slow (and painful) because of the amount of cleanup and test-fitting required.

512BB-01.jpg

512BB-02.jpg

512BB-03.jpg

512BB-04.jpg

512BB-05.jpg

You get a lot for your 31500 yen - here is kit contents:

kit00.jpg

kit01.jpg

kit02.jpg

kit03.jpg

kit04.jpg

kit05.jpg

kit06.jpg

kit07.jpg

kit08.jpg

kit09.jpg

kit10.jpg

kit11.jpg

kit12.jpg

As you can see on the following pix, the fit is horrible. I mean - nothing really fits! It looks like some parts came from a different kit!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

So...I decided to cut it all apart and see if I can put it back together so it fits right! Made templates for the doors

04.jpg

Then started hacking into it. Look at the thickness of that thing! Good grief! You know why Hiro kits are so expensive? They use way too much resin :-) LOL!

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

After I cleaned up door jambs a bit I found one positive though - I don't have to build door jambs now - they are thick enough as is, I actually had to thin them down a bit.

08.jpg

09.jpg

Door pattern was transferred to sheet brass, then doors were cut out, shaped over the spare body and just by hand, and then meticulously fine-tuned, bent here and there, beaten to shape. Still need some work a bit, but the basic shape is there.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Door jambs were cleaned for the doors, and then I started carving the cavity for the doors to go inside the body when they open.

12.jpg

13.jpg

After few hours of work, cavities were made, door jambs finished, and part of the hinge made.

17.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Then I added hinge to the door skins. It is a very simple but very effective construction that perfectly replicates the way doors opened on the real car. Later on, the entire hinge assembly will be concealed by the inner door frame.

19.jpg

20.jpg

20a.jpg

This is how the doors fit on the outside:

21.jpg

Front lid was sanded and re-shaped until my fingers started bleeding! Had to completely re-do the sides, then thin it down (a lot). That cover needed tons of work. Still need a bit more, but I was at least able to do proper test fitting.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Now I need to do the same for the other!

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

30a.jpg

Door frames!

Still a few tweaks needed here and there, and solder needs to be cleaned up, but basic shape is there.

bb01.jpg

bb02.jpg

bb03.jpg

bb04.jpg

bb05.jpg

bb06.jpg

So, this is where it all stopped in 2008. I have not touched this kit since, everything that is to follow will be new stuff. I honestly don’t even know where to pick up the pieces on this, but will assess the situation over the weekend and proceed then. Just wanted to put this up here as a bookmark!

Edited by Italianhorses

Alex...... I agree with Ray, in that if we are paying that amount of money for a Model Factory Hiro kit then the fit of the parts should be much better than this. I have a friend who runs a model car building business locally, and he is building a MFH McLaren F1 model car in 1:12 scale which cost over £500.00, and even that is needing extensive work to make parts fit. Surely, if Tamiya can do it in 1:24 scale then why not MFH ?

Your work so far is fantastic, by the way !

David

Thanks guys.

Yes, the fit is poor for the money, but you have to take into account that this is a limited edition, handmade kit that was produced over 10 years ago. And you can't really compare this with Tamiya who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to engineer and manufacture a mold for styrene kit vs resin kit which was released in very limited numbers. I don't think MFH ever made even 500 kits, most of their releases were close to 300. Plastic kit manufacturers easily make 10-15,000 or more, so there are obviously economies of scale. 

So in the end you pay for the exclusivity and the subject matter, something that mainstream manufacturers can't give you.

4 hours ago, Ich_Will said:

Looks like a great start and a lot of cool (although ill fitting) parts. I'll be following this one intently. I do have to say that that's probably the ugliest Ferrari ever... that's just my subjective opinion. 

…..you're right, William...its pretty ugly!..lol

Off to a great start Alex. I feel your pain on nothing fits good. I'm building the 289 cobra kit. I'm tired of drill holes and re bending and shaping all the parts. One plus is I used a magnetic tumbler to clean up the white metal parts. Your Ferrai should look outstanding when done.

Alex, its great to see you're back on this kit. The work you've done on opening those doors is truly amazing. It reminds me very much of your '64 Ferrari 250 GTO. That model is inspirational.

With regards to the fit of the MFH kit, I think its only fair to say that more recent MFH kits are of a higher standard. I have a few of their 1/12 kits and I'm really impressed. I wonder how long ago they originally made the 512BB/LM kit? I was tempted by their 250 Lusso (also in 1/24 scale), but I'm wondering if it will also suffer similar fit issues.

I really do hope you do press on with this. The work you have done so far is too good to shelve again. If you do continue, I will be watching avidly.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:07 AM, Ich_Will said:

Looks like a great start and a lot of cool (although ill fitting) parts. I'll be following this one intently. I do have to say that that's probably the ugliest Ferrari ever... that's just my subjective opinion. 

Yeah, lets be honest, its the face only mother could love. :)

Now, THIS is model building!

True, I'd be miffed if I shelled-out a wedge for this and the parts were repelling each other. But, this is real modelling. It makes other builds look like assembly, not crafting parts.

I hope you gain momentum on this project, Alex. It's well worth the effort, judging by what you've already achieved.

Alex,

When 26681 was being restored there was a request on FChat for photos from Le Mans and I sent then some I had on file.  When the restoration was completed they sent me some studio photo.  I have included here some of the detail photos which I received.  I hope they can be useful for  you.

Ferrari_512BBLM_26681_9458.jpg.578e08ee8c789babd80f9b311952f783.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9459.jpg.6840dee845a880a85e5d7ef939179fb2.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9460.jpg.93569c334055c7a768ce0cf6cd44cc17.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9461.jpg.a0f861ad8f2e8b0b3abbc34650ee5001.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9476.jpg.b65282dbf7225427dd962504bf06099e.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9477.jpg.78c3e270ad39dc3681da48ce494e1bad.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9478.jpg.00b744bb48192a797da47512b27d8102.jpgFerrari_512BBLM_26681_9479.jpg.70ffe97fd481d9941d8db76392816528.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

Alex, great idea to pick up on those kits again... Finishing them in stype will become quite the opposite of "will only build some Tamiya kits box-stock"... Wasn't that what you said a few days ago? :P

Take your time on these and they will become great results!

5 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Alex, great idea to pick up on those kits again... Finishing them in stype will become quite the opposite of "will only build some Tamiya kits box-stock"... Wasn't that what you said a few days ago? :P

Take your time on these and they will become great results!

Haha, no, box stock builds are for "box-stock" contest. CAn't buld them any other way.

Plus, you can't be serious thinking I'll stick to kit assembling, rather than kit building, right?