Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 66 Ford F100 Pickup preview

SteveG

Here's my finished version of the Moebius 66 Ford F-100 short bed pickup which is based on the second round test shot.  The tooling is about 95% ready to go at this point and final test shots should be available shortly.  Colors I used are Rangoon Red over Wimbledon White.  Still waiting on the decals which will include some scripts which are missing from my build up.  

2v2E2wi3MxvL75L.jpg

2v2E2wi92xvL75L.jpg

2v2E2wiu3xvL75L.jpg

2v2E2wiEUxvL75L.jpg

2v2E2wia8xvL75L.jpg

2v2E2wi28xvL75L.jpg

Moebius is shooting for the first release to be before the end of the year, most likely it will be the 66 Flareside version.  Look for a display of these kits at the Detroit Show coming up next month. 

-Steve

• Like 3

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh happy , happy ,happy to see this one,will ,I will definitely get one or two or three, eight......Talk about the windshield/roof looking off,at least to me really don't look that off at all ..........Sweeeeeeeeet, finally able to actually build or attempt to build a 1:1 that I own!!!!20180829_192110.jpg

• Like 1

Yup. As ever, it cleans up beautifully under your ministrations, Steve. 

I certainly like it better than the bumpside kits anyway, which suits me 'cause I also like the 1:1 better.  If the greenhouse rides a little high - and the jury's still out for me on that one - it'll be a relief 'cause I can fix that with a saw.  It's the pre-chopped roofs that really get on my nerves, and the bumpsides somehow got mangled pretty good from their initial patterns to production.  This'n seems a fair amount closer, down to nothing I can't fix with a little filing at the roof and bending at the front and rear quarter extremities.

I'll have a few!

29 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Yup. As ever, it cleans up beautifully under your ministrations, Steve. 

I certainly like it better than the bumpside kits anyway, which suits me 'cause I also like the 1:1 better.  If the greenhouse rides a little high - and the jury's still out for me on that one - it'll be a relief 'cause I can fix that with a saw.  It's the pre-chopped roofs that really get on my nerves, and the bumpsides somehow got mangled pretty good from their initial patterns to production.  This'n seems a fair amount closer, down to nothing I can't fix with a little filing at the roof and bending at the front and rear quarter extremities.

I'll have a few!

Thanks Guys !!  For what's it worth I think the Moebius kits get better with each effort and this may be their best one yet.  The hood is a little thicker which should prevent the warping issue.  The windshield goes in easier too.  Heater hoses have been added along with two new transmissions.  The Flareside and Utility beds that are coming will fit all the previous issues along with more wheels choices.  One nit pick is the modern style battery carries over but I can live with  that.  My bet is this will be a very popular kit !!

-Steve

Beautiful build!  Looks like it will be a nice kit.  Since these are not decals, how did you mask the tailgate letters so nicely?

One thing that bugs me is how chunky/clunky  the wipers are. Very toy-like.  Not that this is the first model with chunky wipers, but Tamiya can mold them much thinner, and more realistic looking.  But I guess Moebius is not Tamiya. :)

8 hours ago, peteski said:

...One thing that bugs me is how chunky/clunky  the wipers are. Very toy-like.  Not that this is the first model with chunky wipers, but Tamiya can mold them much thinner, and more realistic looking.  But I guess Moebius is not Tamiya. :)

That's an interesting observation. I wonder if it has anything to do with the perceived market. Bigger parts are more resilient to abuse by little (young) fingers (or the less-skilled).

On the other hand, some of the model RR parts in HO scale today are almost hair-thin.

Two ends of the skill-development spectrum.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

22 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

This'n seems a fair amount closer...

Agreed. Beautiful build, Steve 

A couple of things that appear be worthy of further attention would be the over-tall appearing grill (1:1 height top to bottom 12.25") and taillights needing a slight sectioning and the fender bulges looking a little pudgy and over-rounded. Overall, a pretty good likeness.

mike

66mbf1grl.jpg

66f1fndrgrl.jpg

Edited by mk11

22 hours ago, Jim B said:

Looks really nice.  There's going to be a utility bed issue of this kit, or is that going to be just an optional purchase?

There will be kit issued with the Utility Bed and I believe it will be a Model King limited release.   No release date or production numbers yet …

Steve 

21 hours ago, peteski said:

Beautiful build!  Looks like it will be a nice kit.  Since these are not decals, how did you mask the tailgate letters so nicely?

One thing that bugs me is how chunky/clunky  the wipers are. Very toy-like.  Not that this is the first model with chunky wipers, but Tamiya can mold them much thinner, and more realistic looking.  But I guess Moebius is not Tamiya. :)

Thanks !!  The tailgate was masked using tracings directly onto 6mm Tamiya masking tape which were cut out by hand.   It took several tries to get the results you see.   

The wipers and the tail lamp bezels are carry-over from the Bump-side kits along with many other parts,  I agree the wipers are clunky and I've discussed them with the Moebius team,  but I'm not holding my breath.  It would be easy enough to thin them out and hit them with chrome paint or replace them with photo etch pieces but not on test shot.  I use what I get. 

As for grille comments, I didn't measure it but I did compare it to an original AMT 63 F-100 pickup and they're almost identical in height and overall shape. 

-Steve 

5 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Steve, I would agree. The grille looks to be of correct size and proportion. I think what might be throwing folks off is that filler panel below the grille that seems to be molded as a part of it (should be body color)

Agreed on the grille size and the reasoning here. 

It is OEM correct, however, to have that silver splash pan between the grille and bumper. 

Thats how my 1:1 ‘64 was. 

55 minutes ago, Matt T. said:

Agreed on the grille size and the reasoning here. 

It is OEM correct, however, to have that silver splash pan between the grille and bumper. 

Thats how my 1:1 ‘64 was. 

This is correct both ways argent/silver and body color depending on trim packages,most argent/silver but not limited to were usually found on the "Custom Cab" and painted again not limited to usually used body color.....As in the above pictures of my 1:1 is body color and my '66 is a survivor with original paint (except for right door and fender) and sometimes with Ford you would see some of the trucks flip flop with the silver/body colors.