Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 66 Ford F100 Pickup preview

SteveG

8 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

Steve, I would agree. The grille looks to be of correct size and proportion. I think what might be throwing folks off is that filler panel below the grille that seems to be molded as a part of it (should be body color)

Here's how it looked with the body color splash pan and a test fit of the 65 Style grille. The splash pan is molded to the cab body with the bumper and grille being separate plated parts.  

2v2E2gYqdxvL75L.jpg

As others pointed out I did paint to the splash pan Argent/Silver vs body color to match my reference 1:1 truck. 

2v2E2gturxvL75L.jpg

I also noticed some of the two-toned trucks had the bed inside panels painted the lower color and some were the upper color.  I went with the upper color. Maybe those are different assembly plant variances ? 

-Steve 

16 hours ago, SteveG said:

There will be kit issued with the Utility Bed and I believe it will be a Model King limited release.   No release date or production numbers yet …

Steve 

Thanks.  I though I remembered reading something to that effect over on the Moebius '65 F-100 Flareside thread, but I wasn't sure about who was making it.  Will be interested in the utility body version.

13 hours ago, garagepunk66 said:

I think what might be throwing folks off is that filler panel below the grille that seems to be molded as a part of it (should be body color)

That could be part of it. Maybe the straight-up-and-down appearance of the grill vs the slight lean forward on the 1:1 could be throwing me off here too.

mike

1 hour ago, Atmobil said:

Would the chassis parts from the 4x4 kit and the Fireball Modelworks F250 conversion parts be accurate parts to make this in to a F250 4x4?
Or did they use the older style of bed/box on the 4x4 trucks?

The F250 would have been a long bed. I believe the trucks would have been solid axle with leaf springs regardless if it was 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:17 PM, Atmobil said:

Would the chassis parts from the 4x4 kit and the Fireball Modelworks F250 conversion parts be accurate parts to make this in to a F250 4x4?
Or did they use the older style of bed/box on the 4x4 trucks?

The '61-'66 F 250 4x4 as well as the '61-'65 F 100 4x4 used the older style box's, 8' Flareside ( not available ) or the older 8' Styleside ( not available, unless you purchase the old AMT '60 Ford pickup kit and hacksaw the bed off).  These were high floor cabs, not low floors cabs used on '65 and '66 F 100 and F 250 2wd  twin I beam trucks.  The only conversion possible would be building a '66 F 100 4x4 ( these had low floor cabs, same as '65 and '66 F 100 and F 250 2wds) with the '70 4x4 frame as a donor.  Fireball's 8 lug wheels are post '67 bump style wheels used in '67 and newer F 250's, pre '67 F 250's used the old style inner bump 8 lug wheels ( these wheels have never been done by anyone). Hopefully Fireball can offer these inner bump style 8 lug wheels too ( 16" 17.5" or 19.5").  First photo '66 F 100 4x4. Second and third photos are '65-'66 F 250 4x4's ( same body styles as '61-'64 F100 F 250 4x4's) . 4th photo 19.5" 8 lug inner bump wheel  ( done in 1/16, never done in 1/25)

IMG_5738.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5776.JPG

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The F250 would have been a long bed. I believe the trucks would have been solid axle with leaf springs regardless if it was 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton.

7 hours ago, leafsprings said:

The '61-'66 F 250 4x4 as well as the '61-'65 F 100 4x4 used the older style box's, 8' Flareside ( not available ) or the older 8' Styleside ( not available, unless you purchase the old AMT '60 Ford pickup kit and hacksaw the bed off).  The 4x4  F250 cabs were high floors used on straight axle trucks only, not low floors used on '65 and '66  twin I beam trucks. The only conversion possible would be building a '66 F 100 4x4 with the '70 4x4 frame as a donor. The '66 F 100 4x4's used the same beds that were available on 4x2's

Thanks guys for making that clear. Maybe someone could offer a resincopy of the bed from the old AMT 60 Ford truck then or maybe one could use the utility bed that they are going to offer in a M/K issue.
Would most trucks with utility beds be the half-ton trucks back in the 60s or was it more common for a 3/4 ton or bigger with a utility bed?
And did and F250 4x2 have high floor cabs aswell or would they be the low floors?
I like this one on youtube, maybe a possible modelproject:

2v2E2wi92xvL75L.jpg

65frdf1rrqtr.jpg

The light-catch here shows the rear ducktail arch and side contours off very well. We can hope that moebius will perhaps want to finesse this for a more accurate looking roof. If not, a little filing and some putty work should bring it up to snuff  :P

As far as the box interior color goes, Steve, it usually matched the hood, interior and upper box side color from the factory. You can find any combination on a restored truck.

mike

Edited by mk11

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, SteveG said:

As others pointed out I did paint to the splash pan Argent/Silver vs body color to match my reference 1:1 truck. I also noticed some of the two-toned trucks had the bed inside panels painted the lower color 

'64-'66 Custom Cabs used argent gravel shields. '61-66 standard cabs and '61-'63 Custom Cabs  used body colored gravel shields. A deviation occurs when  a standard cab truck got upgraded with the chrome grill ( technically anodized aluminum), you'll see body colored gravel shield under a chrome grill.  The inside of bed on tu tone pickups was lower body color, except for a thin strip of white  around the inside top edge. Faded out  blue '65 F 250 l in Atmobil post has the correct 2 piece inner bump 16" wheels that originally came  with Camper Specials.

Edited by leafsprings

I stand corrected, Tom   :) 

Kind of assumed they'd be like the newer ones but from the scarce pics available it looks the paint patterns are indeed different. The '66 shortbox I owned was solid red and I'd never really paid attention to the tutone trucks. It appears that the '61-'66 trucks had the upper accent colors painted after the foundation color and the process was reversed at some time during the 67 model year. I've seen some '67 trucks where the wear-thru made it look like the bottom color was applied first.

Thanks for sharing those great pics Tim.

mike

Edited by mk11

12 hours ago, autotooner said:

This looks really good.  Does anyone know when these are expected to release?

Likely in 2019. History has shown they release one kit, wait about 6 months, release another. Rumored to be close to ready to going into production.

6 hours ago, Atmobil said:

So I was asking about an F250 conversion a little earlier. Look what I just came across on Bring A Trailer:

Watch out for incorrect restorations, look out for period photos for the real deal. '61-'66 F 250 hubcaps are very similar to hubcaps that came with AMT '61-'63 AMT  F 100 kits, just slightly deeper and larger.

IMG_5786.JPG

Just a couple quick words on these kits.

First kit coming out will be a short bed '66 Flareside with the six cylinder engine - Hopefully on the boat by early 2019.

Second kit will be the Model king '65 Service bed version - again sometime early 2019.

Steve's truck is the short style side, and it is a future product - there is NO release date for it yet.

Tooling also exists for a std bed Styleside and the 4x4  - again these are future products no dates fro them yet..

7 hours ago, Dave Metzner said:

Just a couple quick words on these kits.

First kit coming out will be a short bed '66 Flareside with the six cylinder engine - Hopefully on the boat by early 2019.

Second kit will be the Model king '65 Service bed version - again sometime early 2019.

Steve's truck is the short style side, and it is a future product - there is NO release date for it yet.

Tooling also exists for a std bed Styleside and the 4x4  - again these are future products no dates fro them yet..

Thanks for the update Dave! Looking forward to having these available. There seems to be a huge demand for 4x4 versions (as you probably already know!) so my opinion is that if you can see to releasing the 4x4 version, it will be a success!

23 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Watch out for incorrect restorations, look out for period photos for the real deal. '61-'66 F 250 hubcaps are very similar to hubcaps that came with AMT '61-'63 AMT  F 100 kits, just slightly deeper and larger.

The F250 caps actually do exist with the earlier mounting flange but are pretty rare. Happened upon these at a farm auction.

P1018789.JPG

Thanks for the update, Dave, on the kits. The flareside looks pretty good but with four scale examples on the market already, I'd bet some were hoping to see the styleside first  B)

mike

Edited by mk11

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, mk11 said:

The F250 caps actually do exist with the earlier mounting flange but are pretty rare. 

Yes,  one year only hubcaps: 1967 . There were two sizes of '67 F 250 hubcaps, one fit the early style carry over 16"  rims in your photo, the other had the same styling but larger, and fit the new 16.5" wheels. The new larger version was used from '67 thru '77.  '61-'66 F 250's used only one style of hubcap, the hubcap shown in the above blue '66 Camper Special F 250 Ford ad.  I guess my Camper Special build will have to wait a little longer till the 8' styleside becomes available. Those are the early style 8 lug 2 piece rims that would be correct for '61-'66 F 250's, hopefully these become available in the future!

Edited by leafsprings

Wasn't sure about availability but that fits the scenario; they were in the box of a pretty fair, well used '67 Merc 250 with a bale picker in the back. Got bid up to 3k ^_^ 

The '67 was kind of an odd duck, with the new outer style but a number of carry-over parts from the '66. I've found about a dozen details unique to it as opposed to the '68-'72s.

mike

Edited by mk11