Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 66 Ford F100 Pickup preview

SteveG

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, leafsprings said:

Flaresides did not come with side moldings for obvious reasons.

I started on my build, and removing the mouldings was the first thing I did. It's not too difficult, but it is not for the faint of heart, as they are thick. It is going to be a "day two" truck, with a V8 engine. The 6 is going into a 70 4x4 Custom, as a lot of them were equipped that way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

I started on my build, and removing the mouldings was the first thing I did. It's not too difficult, but it is not for the faint of heart, as they are thick. 

I realize it was a cost cutting move to use one mold for everything, but I would be willing to pay more for the flareside or utility box versions without moldings.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:29 PM, mk11 said:

After taking some time this week to double check a few measurements on a 1:1 '66 F100, I offer a 'well done' to the moebius crew for their efforts on the new kit. The upper cab checks out generally on  the money proportion-wise. The roof and doors look very good. There is still opportunity for some fairly easy finessing, however...     

DSCN0882.jpg

The rear of the lower front fender measures 11.5" (.46) and the old amt nails it. The measurement at the front from the top of the fender to the lower crease is 17" (.68). The lower crease also marks the bottom line of the grill, making the moeb grill a little too tall but isn't really a big deal. It is in fact an almost exact copy (only better done) of the wix diecast '66 grill.  The only other  item worth possible modification would be the rear window width, 48" in 1:1 (1.92 in scale).                                           

I’m handy enough with a Dremel, knife, etc. but that variance in the front fender opening is a surprise and something I wold have to correct. I’m amazed an error like that squeaks through these days but am grateful for the kit...

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 1:29 AM, mk11 said:

After taking some time this week to double check a few measurements on a 1:1 '66 F100, I offer a 'well done' to the moebius crew for their efforts on the new kit. The upper cab checks out generally on  the money proportion-wise. The roof and doors look very good. There is still opportunity for some fairly easy finessing, however...     

DSCN0882.jpg

The rear of the lower front fender measures 11.5" (.46) and the old amt nails it. The measurement at the front from the top of the fender to the lower crease is 17" (.68). The lower crease also marks the bottom line of the grill, making the moeb grill a little too tall but isn't really a big deal. It is in fact an almost exact copy (only better done) of the wix diecast '66 grill.  The only other  item worth possible modification would be the rear window width, 48" in 1:1 (1.92 in scale).                                           

Did you check both sides?  The AMT pickup has a fair amount of assymetry from side to side, particularly in the shape of the front wheel openings.  

Aside from some slight differences, Mark, the basic amt proportions are fairly equal...                                                                                                                                              

DSCN1179.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

I believe it's plain that AMT captured the lower fender width and the rear down-slope of the fender accent more accurately; the curve seems to flatten a bit. As well, the lower line at the front of the fender on the new kit is placed about two inches low; which along with the accent's curve, contributes to a heavy, pudgy looking front clip. The upper fender length at the top of the grill appears correct on the new one, a little longer than the amt. I will amend my comments on the grill being too tall as it is closer than I thought at first look. I'll admit to feeling that old maxim 'once bitten, twice shy' when it came to my first look at this kit. From the nadir of scale fidelity and proportion accomplished in aspects of the former series, there has been a remarkable improvement that shows well in this model. One other note about the rear window; measurement shows a 1:1 width of 50" outside the rubber and the kit window is scaled at 53". 

The line on the door of the new cab indicates a flirtation with the thought of transplanting the front clip/windshield frame from an old amt cab as I just like the shape a little better... haven't made up my mind yet which way I'll commence work on this  :)

Edited by mk11

55 minutes ago, Madd Trucker said:

was  the   66  short bed issued as a  kit or is it  forth  coming  I  would like  to get one

It's the stepside kit that is out, other versions will follow, much like the series of 68-72 Ford pickups did.

• 1 month later...

Here's the fresh of the presses Box Art for the upcoming Styleside short bed version.  Details on the release date are still pending but it will be released through Model King.   I expect there will be at least two more versions to look forward to after this one, a long bed and a 4x4 based on the test shot parts already shown.  

-Steve

2v2Ey3zjzxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3zrMxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3z8oxvL75L.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, SteveG said:

Here's the fresh of the presses Box Art for the upcoming Styleside short bed version.  Details on the release date are still pending but it will be released through Model King.   I expect there will be at least two more versions to look forward to after this one, a long bed and a 4x4 based on the test shot parts already shown.  

-Steve

2v2Ey3zjzxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3zrMxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3z8oxvL75L.jpg

be still my overexcited heart!!!!! 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:07 PM, Rob Hall said:

Got the December issue of Collectible Automobile magazine in the mail today, there is an article on the '61-66 Ford F-series, lots of good pics.. 

Agree!  Yes, this is a really good, comprehensive article.  I never realized there were two different sets of door sheet metal on the '61-'63 pickups.....all the detail is there in the article.  Plus the full story on just how different most of the 4x4's were from the other Ford pickups those years.  

6 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Plus the full story on just how different most of the 4x4's were from the other Ford pickups those years.  

Yes, the 61-66 Ford pickups went thru several changes during this run, most changes ever in a Ford pickup series, both 2wd and 4wd, which IMO, why AMT only offered the  '61-'63 unibody pickup. Any other body style or year model would have required a lot of new tooling. The '66 is the only year the F 100 4x4 came in the same wheelbase and body styles of the F 100 2WD 

Edited by leafsprings

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ANY news about the Styleside pickups yet????

On 9/14/2019 at 8:49 AM, SteveG said:

-Steve

2v2Ey3zjzxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3zrMxvL75L.jpg

2v2Ey3z8oxvL75L.jpg