Model Cars Magazine Forum

Winter project car from Ollie's

Vietnam Vet67

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Too bad there are no Ollies around here. I have heard that Hobby Lobby wont sell them because they have the Monster Energy logo on the box. My one LHS does not even sell them. Pretty sad.

No Ollies or Hobby Lobby in Canada either but I'm lucky enough to live close enough to NY to jump the border and hit both up in Niagara Falls. I've managed to pick up some of all 3 kits at Ollie's for $10 which works out to about $13 CDN/kit. Cant beat that.

What's having the Monster logo have to do with Hobby Lobby not carrying the NASCAR kits Mark?

I've got one of these to do as well over the winter. I was going to do it box stock, but now I'm thinking I might do this fantasy livery I found. I think its the best looking JJ's livery for the Harvick car I've seen yet. 

U261ORZ-vi.jpg

Will be watching your progress Ed.

41 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

No Ollies or Hobby Lobby in Canada either but I'm lucky enough to live close enough to NY to jump the border and hit both up in Niagara Falls. I've managed to pick up some of all 3 kits at Ollie's for $10 which works out to about $13 CDN/kit. Cant beat that.

What's having the Monster logo have to do with Hobby Lobby not carrying the NASCAR kits Mark?

Beats me. I guess they think selling the monster energy logo on a product will induce under age people to want to consume it. Under age people don't build models. They don't have the patience for it. They want instant gratification. They buy diecasts. When were gone the model car/plane industry will probably be gone as well.  JMHO.

Hobby Lobby has a very conservative ownership and they do not like that an energy drink sponsored product will potentially be sold to kids.

I guess if Revell's new ownership is interested in continuing to produce modern NASCAR kits, Hobby Lobby may carry them in 2020.  Monster likely goes away after 2019.  NASCAR is suggesting that they will move to some sort of tiered sponsorship approach.  They have yet the release the details, but I think it's supposed to be modeled after the NFL where they have a number of companies pay to be sponsors of the league.  And then based on the company's level of sponsorship, that dictates the amount of exposure the company receives.

2 hours ago, Jim N said:

Hobby Lobby has a very conservative ownership and they do not like that an energy drink sponsored product will potentially be sold to kids.

I guess if Revell's new ownership is interested in continuing to produce modern NASCAR kits, Hobby Lobby may carry them in 2020.  Monster likely goes away after 2019.  NASCAR is suggesting that they will move to some sort of tiered sponsorship approach.  They have yet the release the details, but I think it's supposed to be modeled after the NFL where they have a number of companies pay to be sponsors of the league.  And then based on the company's level of sponsorship, that dictates the amount of exposure the company receives.

Well, I hope none of them are companys that kids cant consume their products. Doesn't seem fair some how that hobby lobby has this doctrine.

19 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Well, I hope none of them are companys that kids cant consume their products. Doesn't seem fair some how that hobby lobby has this doctrine.

I agree Mark.

On an unrelated note. I am not really sure what Monster is getting out of the title sponsorship.  My son and I went to Kansas a couple of weeks ago, and he went to a concession stand and asked for a Monster Energy Drink.  The person behind the stand said that she could only sell him one if it was in a mixed drink.  I realize that Kansas is an ISC track, and they have Coke as their official soft drink, but I thought it was a little ridiculous that the title sponsor of the sport is not selling its product inside the tracks.

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

I agree Mark.

On an unrelated note. I am not really sure what Monster is getting out of the title sponsorship.  My son and I went to Kansas a couple of weeks ago, and he went to a concession stand and asked for a Monster Energy Drink.  The person behind the stand said that she could only sell him one if it was in a mixed drink.  I realize that Kansas is an ISC track, and they have Coke as their official soft drink, but I thought it was a little ridiculous that the title sponsor of the sport is not selling its product inside the tracks.

Well, like everything else nascar does, these days, it makes perfect sense to me. The chase has been slowly killing off the sport for years, but they still don't see it. All the other major motorsports organization think a playoff system is ridiculous, except for the nhra, which is by nature a playoff system from the very day it started. Its the only one that makes sense. 

5 hours ago, Old Coyote said:

I think the NHRA playoff system is stupid also. Consistency and total points for the season should determine the champion. Just my opinion. 

John, I don't know that much about their playoff system . I was just saying that drag racing is a playoff system by nature because each race you have a winner and a loser and the loser goes home and the winner advances  to some other winner and the winners keep moving until there is only one left.  Pure playoff system by nature. 

22 hours ago, MarkJ said:

John, I don't know that much about their playoff system . I was just saying that drag racing is a playoff system by nature because each race you have a winner and a loser and the loser goes home and the winner advances  to some other winner and the winners keep moving until there is only one left.  Pure playoff system by nature. 

I understand what you were saying Mark, and I agree with you totally. However, the NHRA has gone to a "Playoff" point format which qualifies only the top 10 competitors in each pro category to compete for the title of Champion. The championship is decided in the six races that follow the U.S. Nationals. All the points that the top ten competitors have earned during the year are discarded and a "Dummy" set of points is assigned to each of the competitors, starting with 2000 points for the 10th place driver and increasing by 10 points for each of the higher ranked drivers.  What it means is that a team, through hard work and dedication could have built up a huge points lead of 250-300 points by U.S. Nationals time, but that lead is trimmed back to the artificial lead that is assigned. A season's worth of hard work can be tossed down the toilet just to satisfy the NHRA's biased attempt to "level the field" and create more interest in the final six races. To me it boils down to NHRA's greed and desire to plant more paying customer's butts in the seats at those last races.

I'll be honest with you, I have also totally lost all interest in NASCAR racing also because of their stupid "stages" during races and their ridiculous (to me) fanatic belief that winning races is the most important thing in determining a championship. I remember the 1985 Nascar championship race between Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip. Elliott won 11 races that year and Waltrip only 3. Elliott dominated the super-speedway races but his short track, medium length, and road course program was total futility. In those races, he couldn't get out of his own way. Waltrip won the title because of a better overall performance spanning the entire season. I'm sorry, that's the way I still think it should be.

OK, off my soapbox.

Edited by Old Coyote

Wow, it sounds like the nhra is trying to copy nascar to make their championship go to some one who may not deserve it.  I liked nascar when it had a pure point system because each race was more important. Not just the last ten. and if you have amassed the most points during the season you should be the champion. Like every other major motor racing organization does it. Ok, i'm off the soap box too.

I'll be honest with you, I have also totally lost all interest in NASCAR racing also because of their stupid "stages" during races and their ridiculous (to me) fanatic belief that winning races is the most important thing in determining a championship. I remember the 1985 Nascar championship race between Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip. Elliott won 11 races that year and Waltrip only 3. Elliott dominated the super-speedway races but his short track, medium length, and road course program was total futility. In those races, he couldn't get out of his own way. Waltrip won the title because of a better overall performance spanning the entire season. I'm sorry, that's the way I still think it should be

Wow, it sounds like the nhra is trying to copy nascar to make their championship go to some one who may not deserve it.  I liked nascar when it had a pure point system because each race was more important. Not just the last ten. and if you have amassed the most points during the season you should be the champion. Like every other major motor racing organization does it.

Well said and I totally agree.  It shouldn't come down to the last 10 races, and the stage format is just throwing cautions to bunch them up again.  I can see where 500 mile races are no longer relevant, the cars now can easily make the distance unlike the old days.  Shorten the races to keep the fans interest, bring back some more short tracks and get rid of the cookie-cutter 1 1/2 tracks.

21 hours ago, bbowser said:

I'll be honest with you, I have also totally lost all interest in NASCAR racing also because of their stupid "stages" during races and their ridiculous (to me) fanatic belief that winning races is the most important thing in determining a championship. I remember the 1985 Nascar championship race between Bill Elliott and Darrell Waltrip. Elliott won 11 races that year and Waltrip only 3. Elliott dominated the super-speedway races but his short track, medium length, and road course program was total futility. In those races, he couldn't get out of his own way. Waltrip won the title because of a better overall performance spanning the entire season. I'm sorry, that's the way I still think it should be

Wow, it sounds like the nhra is trying to copy nascar to make their championship go to some one who may not deserve it.  I liked nascar when it had a pure point system because each race was more important. Not just the last ten. and if you have amassed the most points during the season you should be the champion. Like every other major motor racing organization does it.

Well said and I totally agree.  It shouldn't come down to the last 10 races, and the stage format is just throwing cautions to bunch them up again.  I can see where 500 mile races are no longer relevant, the cars now can easily make the distance unlike the old days.  Shorten the races to keep the fans interest, bring back some more short tracks and get rid of the cookie-cutter 1 1/2 tracks.

Totally agree with you , Bruce. The only 500 mile races should be at Talladega and Daytona. There are so many road courses that could be used if they only went to the mile and a halfs once a year, and North Wilkesboro definitely needs to be brought back.

4 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Totally agree with you , Bruce. The only 500 mile races should be at Talladega and Daytona. There are so many road courses that could be used if they only went to the mile and a halfs once a year, and North Wilkesboro definitely needs to be brought back.

I agree with you both, with the exception that I believe the 600 miler at Charlotte should be kept simply for its historic value. And the all star race (whatever they happen to call it each year) should go back to being a short race and not a staged circus inviting massive wrecks. It should be for race winners only, and the "Busch Clash" style race for the pole winners could be brought back in its original format. 

45 minutes ago, Old Coyote said:

I agree with you both, with the exception that I believe the 600 miler at Charlotte should be kept simply for its historic value. And the all star race (whatever they happen to call it each year) should go back to being a short race and not a staged circus inviting massive wrecks. It should be for race winners only, and the "Busch Clash" style race for the pole winners could be brought back in its original format. 

John, I totally forgot about the 600. Your right, that one should be kept, and I like the idea of race winners only for the all star race. I also would like to have the "busch clash" style race as it used to be with pole winners only. I basically just want nascar back the way it used to be when it had full stands and happy fans. 

9 minutes ago, Old Coyote said:

I'm with you 100% on that statement !

Me too!  I agree on the 600 at Charlotte and the 500s at the plate races, they're over in a couple hours anyway.  I'm coming around to the road courses, although I wasn't really impressed with the "roval".