Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Model Community Discord!

I love models cars. That's why I'm here, obviously. I've been ghosting for about a year and came out of hiding to ask anyone to join my Discord server thats for anything and everything self-built models. I have been browsing multiple forums and different magazines on this hobby, and haven't ever run into a single discord based on it. So I decided to make one myself. Anyone and everyone is welcome! If my advertising this here is not welcome, I understand and will remove the post if it isn't removed for me. 

https://discord.gg/fDJfHVC This is the invite to the discord. Please read the rules before participating. 

dis·cord
/ˈdiskôrd/
noun
noun: discord
  1. 1.
    disagreement between people.
    "a prosperous family who showed no signs of discord"
    synonyms: strife, conflict, friction, hostility, antagonism, antipathy, enmity, bad feeling, ill feeling, bad blood, argument, quarreling, squabbling, bickering, wrangling, feuding, contention, disagreement, dissension, dispute, difference of opinion, disunity, division, opposition;
    infighting
    "stress resulting from family discord"
    antonyms: accord, harmony
    • lack of agreement or harmony between things.
      "the discord between indigenous and Western cultures"
  2. 2.
    Music
    lack of harmony between notes sounding together.
    "the music faded in discord"
    synonyms: dissonance, discordance, disharmony, cacophony
    "the music faded in discord"
    antonyms: harmony
    • a chord that (in conventional harmonic terms) is regarded as unpleasing or requiring resolution by another.
      plural noun: discords
    • any interval except a unison, an octave, a perfect fifth or fourth, a major or minor third and sixth, or their octaves.
    • a single note dissonant with another.
verb
archaic
verb: discord; 3rd person present: discords; past tense: discorded; past participle: discorded; gerund or present participle: discording
/disˈkôrd/
  1. 1.
    (of people) disagree.
    "we discorded commonly on two points"

NO THANKS!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

Yes, this is a chatroom server. My son set one up for him and his gaming friends. 

Easy to get the meaning confused when lacking context. 

Discord seems like an inappropriate name for a chat room service. It literally implies you're going there to argue and disagree with people. That  said, now I know something new.

It's not Discord like a fight or lack of harmony. It's Dis-Cord like taking away a cord. The software isn't so much a chat room, although it has that functionality, it's a VoIP (aka voice chat), and more recently a video chat platform similar to Skype. The combination of cell phones and VoIP services are effecively what killed off hardwired (dis-cording) phones (I'll wait here while you all tell me how you still insist on paying Verizon for a house phone). But the idea you can TALK to people in another country for FREE was once pretty outrageous. Anyways Discord is primarily used by gamers in situations where large numbers of people need to be able to voice chat with one another while playing (Call of Duty, Fortnite, World of War craft, etc). 

I'm not sure what putting a "room" on Discord has to offer over a Google Hangout per se.

Edited by niteowl7710

5 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

It's not Discord like a fight or lack of harmony. It's Dis-Cord like taking away a cord. The software isn't so much a chat room, although it has that functionality, it's a VoIP (aka voice chat), and more recently a video chat platform similar to Skype. The combination of cell phones and VoIP services are effecively what killed off hardwired (dis-cording) phones (I'll wait here while you all tell me how you still insist on paying Verizon for a house phone). But the idea you can TALK to people in another country for FREE was once pretty outrageous. Anyways Discord is primarily used by gamers in situations where large numbers of people need to be able to voice chat with one another while playing (Call of Duty, Fortnite, World of War craft, etc). 

I'm not sure what putting a "room" on Discord has to offer over a Google Hangout per se.

I think most...or some...of us are aware it's being used as a proper name of something, taken from a word that actually has a well-defined and very clear meaning in English, and doing an oh-so-unbearably-cute-and-clever play on it. The resulting implication is, however, that it's not a happy place.

Frankly, I don't see the point. At all. But everyone knows I'm a card-carrying, terminally un-hip Luddite.