Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Model Community Discord!

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I think most...or some...of us are aware it's being used as a proper name of something, taken from a word that actually has a well-defined and very clear meaning in English, and doing an oh-so-unbearably-cute-and-clever play on it. The resulting implication is, however, that it's not a happy place.

Frankly, I don't see the point. At all. But everyone knows I'm a card-carrying, terminally un-hip Luddite.

I count myself as a member as well,  and I work for a large ISP.  If they don't teach proper English in school anymore, how is anyone supposed to use it properly?

9 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

So, what happened to the guy that started  this thread? Suddenly everyone is  buzzing about it, but that guy is gone! Nice trolling job! 

One post. Zero content. No actual mention of anything to do with model cars (and we do usually welcome and encourage newbs). All he wanted, apparently, was to get people to his thingamajig. 

One would tend to think that if his actual interest WAS in participating in this existing forum, and if he had even the tiniest little bit of testicular fortitude, we'd hear more from him.

He's certainly welcome, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

As someone who's had to name two companies in the last 10 years, I can attest that it's damn near impossible to come up with a name that's meaningful and unique. We end up with the weird names that have only the vaguest connection between them and the service or goods they offer. Quick, tell me what Slack and Twitch do without looking them up. 

But. . . the capitalization should have alerted you that it was a proper name. 

I did check out the site he posted, and it's legit. There are other users, but not a lot of discussion yet. A lot of people don't like the forum format and prefer the interactivity of a chat. We used to have a heavily used chatroom here, but we had to stop due to cost, and when we put it back, nobody used it. I wouldn't mind having that back. We had some good discussions there, and it was nice to have some friendly voices when I was on the road. 

Twitch is a video streaming and conferencing service. There is a whole model building subculture that streams the video while they build. I can see some situations where that might be pretty cool. The Coast Airbrush videocasts on Facebook are usually fairly interesting, but they move too slowly for me. 

I know it's easy to think of this as the universe, but we're hardly the last word in media platforms. 

2 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

As someone who's had to name two companies in the last 10 years, I can attest that it's BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH near impossible to come up with a name that's meaningful and unique. We end up with the weird names that have only the vaguest connection between them and the service or goods they offer. Quick, tell me what Slack and Twitch do without looking them up. 

But. . . the capitalization should have alerted you that it was a proper name. 

I did check out the site he posted, and it's legit. There are other users, but not a lot of discussion yet. A lot of people don't like the forum format and prefer the interactivity of a chat. We used to have a heavily used chatroom here, but we had to stop due to cost, and when we put it back, nobody used it. I wouldn't mind having that back. We had some good discussions there, and it was nice to have some friendly voices when I was on the road. 

Twitch is a video streaming and conferencing service. There is a whole model building subculture that streams the video while they build. I can see some situations where that might be pretty cool. The Coast Airbrush videocasts on Facebook are usually fairly interesting, but they move too slowly for me. 

I know it's easy to think of this as the universe, but we're hardly the last word in media platforms. 

Twitch and Discord are both heavily used by gamers,  Twitch for them to stream their game play and then discord to chat about it,  but Dave ( you ) are correct, forums , while still popular,  they are not with the younger generations and they like to use other froms aka social media platforms to communicate with each other.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:06 PM, Dann Tier said:

I thought those were illegal?!!...lol

Especially when they have broken and hazardous pieces like that one? that thing is a personal injury lawsuit just waiting to happen! In fact I'm surprised that a young new lawyer doesn't have a table set up next to it, or at the least have it plastered with his business cards.??

34 minutes ago, horsepower said:

Especially when they have broken and hazardous pieces like that one? that thing is a personal injury lawsuit just waiting to happen! In fact I'm surprised that a young new lawyer doesn't have a table set up next to it, or at the least have it plastered with his business cards.??

LOL!!!!!

I would add some oldster thoughts.  Discord, in this case, seems like what a fair number of  people do nowadays when the right word doesn't come readily to mind.  They uses something that sounds close.  In this case discourse would better describe what the intent of the site is.  I blame spell check to some degree.  It gives people words but no context and discord sort of sounds right. Blame the electronic age.  In times gone by, we had to look words up in a dictionary(remember those odd things.  You know, two pieces of cardboard with lots of paper with words on them, stuffed in between.  When you looked it up, you also got a definition and some clarity on how to use the word.

18 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

... Quick, tell me what Slack and Twitch do without looking them up. 

...Twitch is a video streaming and conferencing service...

OK. You answered the second part of the question. But what's Slack? A purveyor of pants for the habitually unemployed?

Question 2B. Why is "Twitch" a good name for a company that does anything?

Image result for person twitching gif

PS. Please try to explain in terms an old fossil who tends to take words at their actual meanings can understand. I know it may be impossible for me to grasp, but please try anyway.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

OK. You answered the second part of the question. But what's Slack? A purveyor of pants for the habitually unemployed?

PS. Please try to explain in terms an old fossil who tends to take words at their actual meanings can understand. I know it may be impossible for me to grasp, but please try anyway.

will discord help me swat, box stock builders? Just a joke, i would never do something that stupidly dumb and i appreciate all builders no matter what they build

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Just a rough guess but if your prescribed prozac it could be a good company name

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Slack is another chat platform. It's gotten fairly popular among software development and corporate types. It's supplanting the original IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in some areas. 

It isn't, but probably had the sole virtue of being available in the desired contexts. Welcome to the age of worldwide naming. 

No worries there. The field of computing hasn't gotten any less esoteric over the years. I had to constantly explain to my parents what I did for a living, and why they shouldn't be worried about my future. I had to at least try to keep things comprehensible to the uninitiated. 

13 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I would add some oldster thoughts.  Discord, in this case, seems like what a fair number of  people do nowadays when the right word doesn't come readily to mind.  They uses something that sounds close.  In this case discourse would better describe what the intent of the site is.  I blame spell check to some degree.  It gives people words but no context and discord sort of sounds right. Blame the electronic age.  In times gone by, we had to look words up in a dictionary(remember those odd things.  You know, two pieces of cardboard with lots of paper with words on them, stuffed in between.  When you looked it up, you also got a definition and some clarity on how to use the word.

We're inventing new words, and uses for old words, faster than the curators can add them to their catalogs.

Call me old school, but I still have Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language on my bookshelf. The title is something of a misnomer since it's very much oriented to the American dialect of English, and doesn't have British spellings of anything. Interestingly enough, it does have the British definition of table (a discussion subject) which, is the exact opposite of the American definition. 

13 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

We're inventing new words, and uses for old words, faster than the curators can add them to their catalogs.

Call me old school, but I still have Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language on my bookshelf. The title is something of a misnomer since it's very much oriented to the American dialect of English, and doesn't have British spellings of anything. Interestingly enough, it does have the British definition of table (a discussion subject) which, is the exact opposite of the American definition. 

Yup, me too!  Also have a Roget's Thesaurus and Perrin's Writers guide.  All required for college freshman english.  Probably the three most frequently used books on my desk!  I still prefer to look some things up the old fashion way.  What I learn perusing the adjacent words is far more interesting than the popup ads when I look it up online.  

Hmmmm?    There is a bit of a joke that goes around over here in the UK that someone ought to inform Microsoft that there is no such thing as US English.   Microsoft (bless them) refer to English English as European English.   Perhaps they do not know where our language actually emanated from!

Edited by Bugatti Fan

On 11/5/2018 at 12:50 AM, Dave Ambrose said:

Call me old school, but I still have Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language on my bookshelf. 

Before I retired, I had one of those in my office book case. There was a paper clip on one page in the "S" section...that was the only place you could find sympathy in my office.