Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tom Mcewen Shooting Stars F/C

1320wayne

I'm currently suffering from M.A.D.D..   No..........it's not mothers against drunk driving. It's modelers attention deficit disorder. While working on one project I start to think about another one that has been on the waiting list for so long. And to curb the enthusiasm I slide that build aside and get started on another. 

This is a relatively out of the box style build that shouldn't take much time to complete. Not a lot of added detail other than the needed adjustments to a Revell f/c kit to make it sit better and an older Good Stuff resin body for a more accurate look.

I'm using the aforementioned Revell funny car kit along with the resin body and a set of superb Chuck Boerner decals. So far, in the past week, I've been able to get the stance mocked up, body and chassis painted and a start on the decals. 

T2eC16FsE9swmtemBQkHvRyQw60_3-vi.jpg

2018102613_04_48-vi.jpg

2018102613_04_26-vi.jpg

2018103109_13_32-vi.jpg

2018103109_13_12-vi.jpg

2018103122_18_35-vi.jpg

2018103122_18_13-vi.jpg

2018110109_28_43-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

• 9 months later...

Man are you fast Wayne.  I have a question that no one has answered yet for me related to the approach of painting the body early on in a build as opposed to waiting during the later stages as you near completion.  Everyone has a style & preference but I take the bodies off so many times during a build that I do it later as it lessens the chance of a mishap.  I've seen your build threads and you don't suffer that problem from what I've seen.  Many others have the same approach as you and it seems to work well.  Good luck with the build too!  Cheers, Tim

49 minutes ago, Codi said:

Man are you fast Wayne.  I have a question that no one has answered yet for me related to the approach of painting the body early on in a build as opposed to waiting during the later stages as you near completion.  Everyone has a style & preference but I take the bodies off so many times during a build that I do it later as it lessens the chance of a mishap.  I've seen your build threads and you don't suffer that problem from what I've seen.  Many others have the same approach as you and it seems to work well.  Good luck with the build too!  Cheers, Tim

Tim, as you well know it's risky to go with a finished body early in the build for just that issue that you mentioned above. Handling the body so many times to do mockups and check clearances can be a problem with a finished body. Me personally; I get extra motivation for continuing on a build once I see what the finished product will most likely look like. That plan of attack has back fired on me plenty of times as well. The body is finished only to find that you didn't leave enough room for this part or that part and now you have to try and make adjustments without destroying a paint job. It's not the best way to go but it's how I've always done it so I guess I'll never change. 

• 2 weeks later...

This looks really good.  Great stance and glossy paint!!   The modification to lower the rear ride height looks very good.

Interestingly when I did my mockup for the Custom Body Dart the body sat a bit lower in the front.  When I re-glued it all "for real" something changed and it sits a bit higher.  

On 8/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, Zen said:

Does Chuck have a website for his decals? Would like to see what he has available.

Check his name, Chuck Boerner, on facebook. He has a page there that showcases all of his work as well as seeing new stuff that he's doing.

On 8/22/2019 at 12:35 PM, Chris in Berwyn said:

This looks really good.  Great stance and glossy paint!!   The modification to lower the rear ride height looks very good.

Interestingly when I did my mockup for the Custom Body Dart the body sat a bit lower in the front.  When I re-glued it all "for real" something changed and it sits a bit higher.  

When you lower the stance on these builds a lot of adjustments factor into it sitting right. If you don't make any adjustments to the interior tin, side panels, front body brace or account for the front steering linkage and radius arms that can affect the final stance. 

• 3 weeks later...