Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Lincoln Pickup Conversion

This is an old Lincoln Touring car that was converted into a pickup in the mid '40's. The 1945 plate on the front is there to kind of represent when the conversion was done, while the '57 plate on back denotes the last time it was registered for regular street use. The bed was scratch built while the cab was pirated from a '34 Ford. The Lincoln also got a bit of a power upgrade with a home made manifold housing two Stromberg 97 carbs. This is how it looks today after 60 years of spending most of it's time in a shed and only being used for parades and such. This was the first model where I used a Molotow chrome pen, believe it or not. 

IMG_7890.thumb.JPG.08f5462159a53f9978d815dc299a37da.JPGIMG_7891.thumb.JPG.c59ec18bc221fd1ee30c3f7504d7e154.JPGIMG_7892.thumb.JPG.1ead5dd13481cf063f167db81a9f57c0.JPGIMG_7893.thumb.JPG.ad3301c24a4bc03d728097fb4febcb3c.JPG

Looks great, I love the subject. I also like to hear what you are thinking as far as the story line of the model. It helps to explain the "Why" something is do the way it is. I do the same, I like to imagine the reasons for the look of the build, or create a story line first, then build to the story.

I like it, keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

It was fairly common back during war time for some Big Cars to get converted into commercial work horses. I've seen similar done with full size Packard's and Duesenberg's. 

I think I read that they were converted to pickups to get around the rationing limitations during WWII. If the car was used for commercial purposes, it would get more ration credits for gas and parts than those that were used just for luxury.