Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Time for a status update: 

[...]

89AKurt: '50 Chevy truck

[...]

Sorry, been remodeling my house.  I've lived in the same house that I built 33 years ago.  Domino effect, started with moth infestation in the wool Berber carpet that I finally ripped out, which led to fixing this and that, and repainting (third time, been milking it).  Which led to adding a wall to hide the refrigerator, which always bugged me.  About 80% done, not counting getting new flooring where the carpet was.  I was planning to take time off work, which usually drops off anyway during December, to work on my Canopy Express.  Masking, and brush painting, my favorite things.  /sarc off/

IMG_8611_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8719_Fotor.jpg

On 11/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, Superbird McMonte said:

Found 3 long lost bodies.

I've been meaning to post this Buick Stage 1 since I seen your Buicks... this old build up was one that was in a collection (tractor trailer load) bought from California to Virginia in 2015. This collection was the MOTHERLOAD literally thousands of build ups, sealed kits, and loose parts. It's taken til now to sort through half of it. My friends at Modelcar Mountian are still working on the load.

About 30 of these build ups landed at our club meet last month and this one was so authentic looking with barn find patina that Alan, one of our club members desided to leave it as is.

It's neat to see to the green one with the Stage 1 look, it would've been nice to see GM offer these in more color options.

2CB0D125-0F52-4D0D-AA94-4F9708930880.thumb.jpeg.529618cac998927ed2a3150ae4266761.jpeg

Screenshot_20181201-084956.jpg

Screenshot_20181201-084916.jpg

17 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I've been meaning to post this Buick Stage 1 since I seen your Buicks... this old build up was one that was in a collection (tractor trailer load) bought from California to Virginia in 2015. This collection was the MOTHERLOAD literally thousands of build ups, sealed kits, and loose parts. It's taken til now to sort through half of it. My friends at Modelcar Mountian are still working on the load.

About 30 of these build ups landed at our club meet last month and this one was so authentic looking with barn find patina that Alan, one of our club members desided to leave it as is.

It's neat to see to the green one with the Stage 1 look, it would've been nice to see GM offer these in more color options.

2CB0D125-0F52-4D0D-AA94-4F9708930880.thumb.jpeg.529618cac998927ed2a3150ae4266761.jpeg

Screenshot_20181201-084956.jpg

Screenshot_20181201-084916.jpg

They all look great, but I love the barn find looking one. I'm glad Alan is leaving it as is.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Sorry, been remodeling my house.  I've lived in the same house that I built 33 years ago.  Domino effect, started with moth infestation in the wool Berber carpet that I finally ripped out, which led to fixing this and that, and repainting (third time, been milking it).  Which led to adding a wall to hide the refrigerator, which always bugged me.  About 80% done, not counting getting new flooring where the carpet was.  I was planning to take time off work, which usually drops off anyway during December, to work on my Canopy Express.  Masking, and brush painting, my favorite things.  /sarc off/

IMG_8611_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8719_Fotor.jpg

That's quite the stairway setup.

I started this one at least 25 years ago intending to build a modern style street rod. I Z'ed the frame and added a Halibrand quick change, then painted it Boyd's dusty rose pearl. Then it sat... A little later I decided to retro it up a bit, but could never find a wheel tire combo I liked. Well now I think I'm there... front wheels are AMT 49 Ford with new tool Ala Kart tires flipped inside out and painted white walls (they need one more coat). Engine will be a 6 jug 283 from the Tweedy Pie. (Sorry Tim Boyd!)

FB_IMG_1543676196616.jpg

20181125_133433.jpg

20181130_203247.jpg

20181130_203301.jpg

2 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I love that! Your friend is right! Leave it like that!??

I have an A12 69 Road Runner that is tha same way. I’ll post a picture tomorrow. 

Put me on the potential buyer list if you want to get rid of it!? I would love to put the two in a garage diorama!?

Making headway on the Mako Shark. The interior is now out and cleaned up--not doing anything further with it. I glued the front end on solid. If you've ever built one of these things, you know that the front end doesn't fit very well. I glued it solid, which took more work than you'd think--had to make and then custom-fit some tabs to lock the upper sides of the fenders to the lowers. Not perfect but it'll do. 

I think I have the eBay glue bomb donor chassis to where I can put wheels on it. Next step will be to give it a squirt of rattlecan black. I've run a black wash into the low areas of the finned wheels, next will be to scrape the black off the high spots of the fins. Was pleased to find that the glue bomb came with its original MPC hollow Firestone tires, which were quite groundbreaking in their day. (MPC would sell them to you for 50c a set [the typical model car sold for $2]--I wish I'd invested about $10 in those at the time!) I couldn't get one wheel off its axle without risking major breakage to the fragile rear suspension, which I already had to do some repairs/regluing to. 

MakoShark09.jpg.1df92506e518ba8ef9ff02e3e0d09c35.jpg

And I'm semi-declaring this original IMC VW Beetle for completion. I got THIS far with it sometime in the 1968-70 timeframe and then never finished it for whatever reason. Over the years I've hauled it out at least a half-dozen times intending to finish it, and something always makes me stick it back in the box pretty quickly. The last time was about three or four months ago. Got it out, spotted a piece of dirt over the door, and went to scrape it off with my fingernail, only to have a large chunk of the paint (long-extinct AMT Burnt Orange Metallic) flake off! :blink::angry: Okay, I've learned that the trick to completing a job like this is to forget all about "perfection" and just treat it like one of my Toy Show Glue Bomb finds of somebody else's that I'm just trying to "rescue." Maybe THIS time I'll GITTER DONE! (I wonder if Testor Firey Orange is an acceptable paint match?)

IMCVW04.jpg.6d047b06d03cb4e8663275f951323f65.jpg

17 minutes ago, Superbird McMonte said:

Here’s my A12 “Barn Find”

0A56F503-2985-4DD8-876C-B6CCCE640A4E.png

0B4286C9-E015-410F-BCF6-0F94C4D87213.jpeg

Here's the '69 Road Runner I built in 1969. Looks pretty barn find-y today, don't it? I think it's about due for a "survivor restoration." It's too nice to leave dirty. 

69RR1.jpg.a70fdc3c80a926ba7153e4c30047a851.jpg

69RR2.jpg.73cd5a3b39844d84e57a2bb95c053e3f.jpg

On 11/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, Snake45 said:

I guess this could qualify as a stalled project. I took this pic in 2015, and was expecting to start on a restoration then--and several times since--but have actually gotten little if anything done on it.  It's a genuine survivor of mine, or what's left of it--first-issue MPC Mako Shark from 1966 or '67, painted in AMT Candy Oriental Blue. The paint is in horrible shape, but I'm not going to strip and repaint it, I'm keeping it as a relic of my teenage years. (I have a couple unpainted restorable glue bombs to do up good). 

The hangup has been the chassis--the original chassis was harvested 50 years ago for some other project. I was originally gonna slide it on a common AMT '63 Corvette reissue chassis, but that won't work. Second choice was to scratchbuild a simple slam/curbside-type chassis for it, which I keep putting off doing as too big a PITA. I just realized I might be able to get it on one of the glue bomb chassis (at least temporarily) without too much work, and have been putting forth effort in an attempt at such. We'll see how it goes. 

MakoShark02.jpg.2b915d90f4b7c312888b7ce4310bf18e.jpg

Okay, the rescue/resto is finished--GOTTER DONE! Hope to have full writeup and pics Under Glass soon! B)

MakoShark22.jpg

On 12/1/2018 at 12:19 AM, 89AKurt said:

IMG_8611_Fotor.jpg

Very cool stairs,  did you make them your self?  I really like the design.

2 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Very cool stairs,  did you make them your self?  I really like the design.

When I built my house in 1985, I stole the idea from a sales brochure.  Used a regular step ladder for awhile, it's the same riser dimension.  I designed it using salvaged oak barn wood mortise and tenoned into the single 4x12 stringer, but had someone build it.  Thank you!

The Blazer build is going slow mainly cause overtime at work is in high gear during the holidays. I'm working on the blazer when I can. Not to mention any big changes I wanted to make on the project... because I don't plan on starting over on it ever agian... lol.

I went back and forth on keeping the tilt frontend. and desided to leave it and in mid 90's fashion I've added a Cowl induction hood... because it seemed at that time everything had a Cowl hood. lol...

I'm kinda stumped on color now and I'm open to suggestions. I've painted the darn thing a different color every time I've rebuilt it. Baby blue when I got it, Chezoom teal, then Pearl white, then Purple with Mad Mudder graphics then Purple agian with a white top and two-tone sides.  I thought about goin with a Frankenstein paint scheme... Purple, Black top, and grey/green sides with Frankie himself decaled on the hood and Frankenstein monikers on the side windows... Seems ambitious but it would be fairly easy the trouble is I don't know if I could live with it like that forever.

Screenshot_20181207-080346.jpg

Screenshot_20181207-084018.jpg

Screenshot_20181207-084650.jpg

11 hours ago, disconovaman said:

The Blazer build is going slow mainly cause overtime at work is in high gear during the holidays. I'm working on the blazer when I can. Not to mention any big changes I wanted to make on the project... because I don't plan on starting over on it ever agian... lol.

I'm kinda stumped on color now and I'm open to suggestions. I've painted the darn thing a different color every time I've rebuilt it. Baby blue when I got it, Chezoom teal, then Pearl white, then Purple with Mad Mudder graphics then Purple agian with a white top and two-tone sides.  I thought about goin with a Frankenstein paint scheme... Purple, Black top, and grey/green sides with Frankie himself decaled on the hood and Frankenstein monikers on the side windows... Seems ambitious but it would be fairly easy the trouble is I don't know if I could live with it like that forever.

Screenshot_20181207-080346.jpg

Keep it simple. Flat black, flat olive drab, or flat desert tan, any of which will help you GITTER DONE by the end of the year AND would act as a good primer if you want to revisit it with a fancier paint job in the future. B)

Walmart's cheap Color Place flat black primer is actually a very, VERY dark gray, not unlike the old late, lamented Pactra Hot Rod Primer. I've been looking for a good project to do in it. B)

I was thinking about just grey primer this stuff is cheap, drys fast, and sands easy... from the dollar store. l like it because it's thin and dosen't hide detail like Testors primer does. I was also thinking about painting it off white... Cream, (as Monogram called it), like it was molded in.. would probably use Wimbledon white. I don't know what I'll do yet I'm still chasing body work...

I'd like to see that primer you're talking about too, I may have to make a trip to Wal-Mart soon. 

Screenshot_20181208-132732.jpg

December 10 Update: 

Richard Bartrop: '29 Ford

Disconovaman: '55 Nomad. SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to Monster Blazer.

89AKurt: '50 Chevy truck

Jantrix: '37 Chevy rod

Snake45: Mako Shark. FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to IMC VW Beetle, '40 Ford coupe, Get Smart Sunbeam Alpine

Lordmodelbuilder: '64 Chevy Blazer

Eric Macleod: Deusenberg. THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Scale Asylum: '64 Dodge 330

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

FordF-100: '67 LeMans

Vintageford: '49 Ford shelved, looking for new project

Magicmustang: Tommy Ivo double Buick rail. FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Foxer: AA/Comp rail

GerN: '32 Ford

Superbird McMonte: '70 GSX

Mod3lLover: '60 (?) Corvette

Dave Darby: '29 Ford

Three weeks left till the end of the year! Anyone else making any progress? Anyone else want to jump in? Let's GITTER DONE! B)

Edited by Snake45

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Jantrix: '37 Ford (?) rod

Three weeks left till the end of the year! Anyone else making any progress? Anyone else want to jump in? Let's GITTER DONE! B)

It's a '37 Chevy and very likely will not get back to it before the new year. Thanks for including me, I didn't realize there was a deadline.

A small update on the Blazer... I went on and painted the hood as a reward to myself for all my efforts with the bodywork goin on.

I desided to try a more simple approach to insure I'd be able to finish it before the end of the year... well hopefully? It will have a Wimbledon white top but mostly it will be this seafoam aqua.

These windows are in pretty bad shape so I painted them and I plan on adding decals as a banner.

Thanks for looking... more later.

Screenshot_20181210-163337.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-165937.jpg

Screenshot_20181210-163658.jpg