Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

LAST CALL!

Spend your New Years Day wrapping 'em up, folks, you've got till midnight tonight to GITTER DONE! I just finished up the '40 Ford; will get pics up soon.  Meanwhile, here's where we are: 

Richard Bartrop: '29 Ford

Disconovaman: '55 Nomad. SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Monster Blazer EIGHTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

89AKurt: '50 Chevy truck. MADE SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS, withdrawn from group build with honor.

Jantrix: '37 Chevy rod

Snake45: Mako Shark FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! IMC VW Beetle FIFTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '40 Ford coupe NINTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Lordmodelbuilder: '64 Chevy Blazer

Eric Macleod: Deusenberg. THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Scale Asylum: '64 Dodge 330

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

FordF-100: '67 LeMans SEVENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Vintageford: '49 Ford shelved, looking for new project

Magicmustang: Tommy Ivo double Buick rail. FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Foxer: AA/Comp rail

GerN: '32 Ford

Superbird McMonte: '70 GSX SIXTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Mod3lLover: '59 Corvette

Dave Darby: '29 Ford

Doctory Larry: '7? Pontiac Grand Am

John Verkerk: Several good prospects—have you picked one to GITTER DONE?

Belugawrx: '49 Merc TENTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! 

Fabulous work, everyone! We've put nine models on the shelves that would otherwise be rotting in their cardboard tombs or serving time on the Shelf of Doom. Way to GITTER DONE! B)

Can anyone else make it across the finish line? 

Edited by Snake45

YOU GO, BOYEEE! GITTER DONE!

You could have posted those pics and declared it done and I'd have believed you. You've made FANTASTIC progress since we first saw it! Looking good! Drive on! B)

Edited by Snake45

Well... gentleman... I've failed.

Two paint disasters later, I'm still at square 1.

I think it's going back in the closet and on to something a little less irritating.

Maybe I'll try again later this year... but 2 months worth of work wasted has got me a bit irritated.

Trying a new paint process was a mistake on a deadline.

Okay, finally got pics made of my '40 Ford street punk. Full writeup to come Under Glass, when most of the "My 2018" posts clear out. 

BelugaWRX, I'm giving you credit for GITTIN IT DONE. You made AWESOME progress from the build's start, and it sure looks done to me! So you make COMPLETION #10. Congratulations! 

40Ford06.jpg.a04462211717b3f201d061c226c502ce.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm late to the party. Maybe we can keep this going till the end of this year? I have one that I literally see each time I come into my model room and after I get the '68 'Vette done, I'll try my hand at this again.

P8042556-vi.jpg
IMG_1240vi-vi.jpg

2008OhioTripMom058-vi.jpg

While it may look OK to the casual observer, looks can be deceiving as there's a big problem with the bodywork on the roof. Seems as though I didn't barrier the plastic and putty well enough, so when the paint fully cured, you can see right where I made the split on the roof to get it to fit. Sooooo..........I'm gonna totally take this one apart, strip it down to the bare plastic and while I'm at it fix some things that to me were still not quite right.

Namely the door hinges, shape of the windshield header and a few other details.

I just ordered another bottle of Snowshoe White from paintscratch.com and it came today and I still have some Regency Purple left over in the can. For those interested in seeing how this all came together, you can check here.

Stay tuned!

Edited by MrObsessive
Wanted to add another pic

5 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Well, I'm late to the party. Maybe we can keep this going till the end of this year? I have one that I literally see each time I come into my model room and after I get the '68 'Vette done, I'll try my hand at this again.

No, this GITTER DONE build is over. But if there's enough interest we could do another one. B)

Mine is still in the works!!  I plan to build it yet in

my separate thread here this year for sure!

But I would love to see another thread to be

further motivation for all the other kits that are

sitting in boxes under my work bench!?!

Maybe one that runs through 2019 to keep us

going through the brand new year!   Maybe??

David S.

My thought is, "end of the year" is too long (at this point, mid-January). No urgency, not enough motivation. Maybe run these twice a year, or quarterly? (The next deadline would be the end of March, say.) 

What kicked off the last one was, there were a lot of recent postings in the (very) old Bring Out Your Dead thread. It seemed like there was some currency and some interest in the topic. Let's see if there are some new postings onto that thread. (I'm hesitant to start a new one.) 

I'm all for it, if the interest is there. I also think it was a great help that this ran up here in the popular Workbench section, rather than down in the less-seen Group Builds section. (Special thanks to the mods for NOT moving us! B))

17 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Well, I'm late to the party. Maybe we can keep this going till the end of this year?

I have so many dead projects... I know I'll need encouragement by the end of the year to get them done. But this is the most beautiful stalled project I ever seen! It doesn't look like it's far from finished. love the color too!

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

My thought is, "end of the year" is too long (at this point, mid-January). No urgency, not enough motivation. Maybe run these twice a year, or quarterly? (The next deadline would be the end of March, say.) 

What kicked off the last one was, there were a lot of recent postings in the (very) old Bring Out Your Dead thread. It seemed like there was some currency and some interest in the topic. Let's see if there are some new postings onto that thread. (I'm hesitant to start a new one.) 

I'm all for it, if the interest is there. I also think it was a great help that this ran up here in the popular Workbench section, rather than down in the less-seen Group Builds section. (Special thanks to the mods for NOT moving us! B))

I'd like to see this be quarterly. 2019 is the year to finish a bunch of my stalled projects.  Been organizing my stalled projects will I think around 100.  They range from box stock to major kit bash.  Want to get some completed before more are added.

36 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

I have so many dead projects... I know I'll need encouragement by the end of the year to get them done. But this is the most beautiful stalled project I ever seen! It doesn't look like it's far from finished. love the color too!

Thanks Anthony! Yeah, this wasn't far from being done at all, I just couldn't stand that area on the roof that's showing where I did the bodywork. Better for me to totally take it apart, strip it and do it over. Also, I want to mold a proper headliner for it.........something I wasn't able to do since at the time I had no vacuformer to make one.

Redo the door jambs (too thick IMO) and some chassis details which aren't quite the way I want 'em.

2 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'd like to see this be quarterly. 2019 is the year to finish a bunch of my stalled projects.  Been organizing my stalled projects will I think around 100.  They range from box stock to major kit bash.  Want to get some completed before more are added.

X2 if this can be done quarterly. The Ford wouldn't be done by the end of this quarter coming up, but certainly by the end of summer-------if I can keep up the ambition. ;)

Okay, if we can get, say, eight modelers to post in this thread that they want to GITTER DONE on one by the end of March, I'll reopen the build for Round 2. Fair enough? B)

As before, it has to be something you started and made significant progress on more than a year ago, but that has been "stalled" for at least a couple months--not just something that you're already currently working on.