Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

On 1/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, Snake45 said:

My thought is, "end of the year" is too long (at this point, mid-January). No urgency, not enough motivation. Maybe run these twice a year, or quarterly? (The next deadline would be the end of March, say.) 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Snake45 said:

Okay, if we can get, say, eight modelers to post in this thread that they want to GITTER DONE on one by the end of March, I'll reopen the build for Round 2. Fair enough? B)

Looks like the end of March.?

Edited by Superbird McMonte

Nice looking paint on that Mickey. What color of red is it? Your painting area looks a lot like mine. I paint on my workbench at work. I manage to get a lot done there between maintenance projects during the day.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

5 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Nice looking paint on that Mickey. What color of red is it? Your painting area looks a lot like mine. I paint on my workbench at work. I manage to get a lot done there between maintenance projects during the day.

Later-

That is Duplicolor Torch Red. A GM color. Looks even better in person!

2 hours ago, geemoney said:

Progress!!

is that a Swagelok fitting?

like a 400-2-2

You are correct!

Well, let's see if I can get this one done...it's been essentially "dead" since about 2002.  The story begins with a '99 Tim Boyd article, where he builds a custom '59 Impala. Encountering a '59 kit at a local general-goods store, I buy it for $11. For perspective, this is grade 9 high school. Having built this kit before, I want to do a custom version and I draw an ambitious color sketch featuring candy green paint and ghost flames. Problem is, I don't have any of the tools, parts, or materials to match either my vision or the magazine article!

Tim uses a 409 with finned chrome valve covers, but I content myself with painting the kit' 348 covers Testors "Chrome Trim".  I don't have access to candy paints, so I pick a bottle of my favorite color at the time, a metallic forest green. Tim's Impala is nosed and pancaked, so I laboriously endeavor to do the same, using tube glue, sprue, and green putty. It shrinks under the paint, leaving unsightly divots and dooming my first airbrushed metallic paint job :(  It goes into a box carefully padded with Kleenex, I attend university, life proceeds busily, and the Impala doesn't re-appear until 2014...when I acquire an AMT grilles parts pack and begin fitting a custom Mercury grille as per the original article.  At the same time, I re-open the bumper mounting holes that I had smoothed over, endeavor to fix the bodywork, and re-primer it. The bumpers also get shaved and narrowed. At some point, it receives a base coat of gold paint.

Fast forward to today and nothing much has changed..a wire has popped loose from the engine (my first ever wiring job), the glue joints on the lowered suspension have started to fail, and I have started painting a second interior pearl white to swap in, instead of the grey interior. I now have several sets of chrome-reverse wheels that would suit the car, and some Emerald green testors one-coat lacquer.

Time to put this thing to bed!!

59Impala_Jan252019-vi.jpg

Edited by Spex84

That looks great Chris. I loved following that Tim Boyd article. He did a beautiful job on that 59. Your current body work and paint looks like it turned out well and should have just as nice of a turnout as Tim's. Someday I will finish my 70 Boss 302 Mustang that I started from following Tim's article. I got held up on a poor turnout of the first hood decal. Have since gotten another but haven't gotten the courage to chance it again.

Later-

Getting closer!

http://IMG_20190126_133325014.jpg

If you look closely at the photo above you can see a damaged area above the passenger window and the roof looks dull. I came into work the other morning and one of the night custodians who use my shop after I leave for home had either dropped the body or dropped something on it and took a chunk out of the paint and put a scratch across the roof. I have sanded the roof smooth again and am patching the chunk with touch up paint. I have to sand it smooth and clear/ polish it again. Oh well!

http://IMG_20190126_133113160.jpg

Later-

I went ahead with the decals

0HrDbEc.jpg

GnSGXeV.jpg

Getting closer

On 1/26/2019 at 4:55 PM, Modlbldr said:

If you look closely at the photo above you can see a damaged area above the passenger window and the roof looks dull. I came into work the other morning and one of the night custodians who use my shop after I leave for home had either dropped the body or dropped something on it and took a chunk out of the paint and put a scratch across the roof.

You had insurance,right Tom..?;)Paint looks beauty

With the Baldwin Motion Chevelle pretty much done, I can move over to the Honcho. 

I simulated a Rhino Bed lining with misted on Krylon seni-gloss.

Then I started mocking up the ride height and wheel and tire combinations. 

I put the stock tires on first and they looked a little too small.

I found this set of 5 slots in an older Honcho. I don’t recall where they came from. I mounted the on tires from a Grave Digger matchbox!? 

I think I like them!

31774DA9-2A04-492F-AFA5-0DE91373E203.jpeg

0B4634EA-7491-4741-8EC8-7F64E0811C05.jpeg

D10BBD4B-EAC4-49DA-B80B-9396F6DF3FE9.jpeg

2E371C70-B401-4A4B-9503-B85E456E9EE9.jpeg

DB135955-F73F-42AA-87B1-E17F0168D510.jpeg

A656EEAA-399A-4E85-85FF-1DB927E09EA7.jpeg

Looks Awesome! My stepdad had those wheels on his. His was green, was a wood hauler.

MY OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED ENTRY.

This 36 Ford 5 window should qualify... It was a project my cousin started 20 years ago. Until two Saturdays ago it was in an attic for the past 16 years.

My cousin had frenched the headlights in, cut the front off it, and cut the door frames off the top. He had a habit of opening doors on every thing. I have no doubt that's why he cut the door frames off the seperate top.

I liked how he relocated the headlights but don't know why he cut the front fenders away from the running boards... Oh well She's my baby now. First name Bob... last name... Weoddababitzagurl.... lol! 

That's the only clue I'm giving as far as what direction I'm going, not giving away any spoilers.?

Screenshot_20190128-091132.png

Screenshot_20190128-082526.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

February 1 Update: 

Straightliner59: Junior Fuel Dragster

Dave Branson: '70 Chevelle

Belugawrx: Castrol F1 MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Disconovaman: 36 Ford 5-window

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

89AKurt: '48 Chevy truck “Canopy Express”

Modlbldr: '40 Ford “Starlet” FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE!

Snake45: '57 Corvette

Lordmodelbuilder: '69 Camaro

Bobthehobbyguy: Tarantula dragster

Can-Con: '67 Bonneville

SuperbirdMcMonte: Jeep Honcho MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Geemoney: '34 Ford

Spex84: '59 Impala

Congrats to Modlbldr for the FIRST COMPLETION of Round 2! Looks like SuperbirdMcMonte and Belugawrx are in a tight race to be the second completion. I could have/should have had that stupid '57 Corvette done by now if I hadn't kept getting distracted by all those STUPID SHINY SQUIRRELS! :angry::angry::angry:

Two full months left, plenty of time to GITTER DONE, gang! Anyone else want to join the fun? 

Edited by Snake45